Taping schedules of daytime game shows in the 1950's and 1960's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And lots of comedy writers on staff. Those remarks were not as "random and unrehearsed" as you might think.

numer9 and Dan C like this.
  2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Doesn’t matter. Never said they were. He had a great delivery. He could have read the phone book and make it sound funny.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I totally agree -- very few people except Paul Lynde could read those lines and have his timing. And the bits were specifically written for his "voice," so it was very carefully crafted. But not an ad-lib.

4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I was gonna ask that question. I'm sure all the panelists had their "character" down pat.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They either memorized or had little index cards, maybe, though I never saw any star ever look down to read. I think they memorized stuff. Remember, after the Quiz Show scandals of the late 1950s there were certain rules and guidelines in place.

Steve Litos likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is exactly true. The moment a contestant chose (say) Paul Lynde, Peter Marshall would reach from his stack of Paul Lynde questions for which they'd already prepared funny answers. They couldn't alter the results of the show, since the celebrities were chosen at random (or at least in Tic-Tac-Doh order), so it was legal -- and I think there was a disclaimer to that effect at the end of the show. The official disclaimer:

"The areas of questions designed for the celebrities and possible bluff answers are discussed with some celebrities in advance. In the course of this presentation, actual questions and/or answers may be discerned by the celebrities."

I don't think any of the stars had to memorize more than 5-6 funny answers per episode. If they fumbled for the cards, they'd snip that part out in editing.

The set was rough on the actors, because it was a steep climb for every episode to their "square," and the lighting was pretty hot and close to their faces. But they were pretty well paid and it was an easy gig: work 4 x 8-hour days a week, and you get a month's AFTRA pay. Decent meals, nice people, very little stress beyond bringing several costume changes.

I have heard stories where certain actors had some real trouble with the stairs. My memory is that Dom DeLouise had some issues and he needed some help because of his health issues in the 1980s. Still gave 100% on camera.

7. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Ha...now I get the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.