Tarantino - Pick Just One

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Give Jackie Brown another chance sometime. Like John Waters' Cry-Baby (1990) it took me 4-5 viewings to fully appreciate
    that it represented the director at the peak of his powers.

alexpop and ampmods like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

There was nothing else like it around in 1992...when Pulp Fiction hit in '94 the dam broke.

Kassonica and alexpop like this.
  3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I will.

An aside I loved Cry Baby when I first saw it. But my favorite of his was the next one Serial Mom.

4. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Basterds is, I think, QT's best film (and I voted for it here). Reservoir Dogs is my other longstanding favorite. (I always felt just slightly disappointed in Pulp Fiction, as good as it is--strictly in comparison to the extremely high expectations I brought to it after Reservoir Dogs....)

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Pulp Fiction, for me.

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Quentin's most definitive movies are Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 but his best film and the one I picked here is Jackie Brown.

7. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

"Rewatchability" was my criteria, and I voted for Pulp Fiction. I can easily hop into the flick at any point and be totally absorbed.

musicarus and Kyhl like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I voted for pulp fiction. A bona fide classic. Reservoir dog looks a little rough around the edges in comparison but when that came out – wow! Reservoir Dogs may even have some better scenes then Pulp Fiction. Jackie Brown is a treat with Samuel Jackson on centerstage. Superbly made. But it’s just a little bit draggy for me at times and it’s also not original Quentin material so I kind of disqualified it in the way. Inglorious bastard‘s I didn’t care for it had one good scene over and over and over. The whole Brad Pitt dirty dozen thing was a misfire and I felt in bad taste. I enjoyed parts of the kill Bill movies immensely. Parts of Kill bill 1 were kind of tasteless and stupid to me but the Japanese tea house I’ve probably watched more than any other movie scene is history! They’re kind a cobbled together as films, but There’s top-notch stuff in there which is lots of fun. Death proof = horrible. Hateful eight has its moments but I think it’s a flop. Looking forward to this Manson movie. Quentin is one of the greats that’s all I have to say.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hateful Eight.
    What moments stood out ?

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Reservoir Dogs, by far.

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Hate violence, yet love the Hattori Hanzo films

[​IMG]

Lownote30 and alexpop like this.
  12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I went with Pulp Fiction but for rewatchability I'd go with Jacky Brown. When I catch Pulp Fiction I'll watch a scene or two before moving on. When I catch Jacky Brown I am always glued to it until it ends.

Lightworker likes this.
  13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Inglorious Bastards for me. I always seem to go back to that one the most. I like it more and more every time I see it.

yesstiles likes this.
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, the opening was pretty good and quite gorgeous. It was kinda rough watching Jennifer Jason Lee take an elbow in the nose, though). Kurt Russell character was good and I also liked the Lincoln letter story. But... maybe you're right. Not much does stand out!

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Bruce Dern got a great part playing General Sandy Smithers, the look on his face after finding out what happened to his son was priceless.:)

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I would have picked Kill Bill, but it was wrongly split into 2 parts for this poll, so I had to go with Inglourious Basterds. Such stylish, rich and entertaining films with iconic, wonderful female characters at the heart.

18. alexpop

Bill
    Dogs

19. alexpop

Empire magazine has Reservoir Dogs on the cover of their latest issue great interview with American badasss Michael Madsen:

20. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Well for me just about anytime JJL got hit in the face, It is my new Christmas movie to watch after stuffing my face, and drinking waaay too much. It makes me laugh so hard at things you shouldn't be laughing at, I just Love it!!

21. alexpop

Well that's a enthusiastic post I must say.

stuwee likes this.
  22. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Hey ya alex, so nice to be around you again!! I found that part a bit disturbing in a good way. Rape ain't funny but, Quinton does it rightly!! I think my partner said "Hey, boy.... a notch down on the howlin' ". To which I replied " I ain't your boy :unhunh:" BOY!!, SLJ was having too much fun telling that story, he could barely contain himself :evil:

Sick, sick, Sick!! :biglaugh:

23. I know it's not on the list but my favorite movie that Tarantino is associated with (in this case writer) is True Romance. I have watched it more than any of the others listed here. Of these that he has directed I chose Pulp Fiction, with Reservoir Dogs a close second.

boboquisp likes this.
  24. alexpop

Managed to get Tarantino xx 10 Blu Ray box. A couple of titles I didn't have on BD.
    I'm surprised True Romance ( though welcome) is part of the box as QT didn't direct ( though wrote the script).

25. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Jackie brown
    Kill bill 1
    Inglorious basterds
    True romance
    Pulp fiction
    Kill bill 2
    Death proof
    Reservior dogs
    Django unchained
    Hateful eight