Tarantino - Pick Just One

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I got a real kick out of Four Rooms but I guess Pulp Fiction is the big winner. No surprise there, the film is great. Had it on VHS and watched it many times, trying to figure out the real chain of events of how things transpired. Did he only act in From Dusk Till Dawn?

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He doesn't have much talent, and all of it was on display in Reservoir Dogs, along with great performances by Keitel, Buscemi and Roth. I think it was all downhill from there.

3. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

True Romance is great as it is. So I say "No".

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I like them all, but picked Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs is almost as good. Django Unchained is pretty awesome too. I also really liked the two Kill Bill movies. It's tough to pick a favorite from such an oddball filmmaker like Tarantino.

5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I voted Pulp Fiction because it's a "Top 5" movie for me. Glad to see Jackie Brown also getting votes. Love that cast.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I choose "Pulp...",
    like "Momento", it's a trick you can only do once!

7. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Sessionability is key for me, so that means Jackie.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Jackie. His most controlled and emotional film. It’s more adult than any of his other films if that makes sense.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Pulp here.

10. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I voted for Pulp Fiction but I really wish he had continued along the more mature lines of Jackie Brown.

citizensmurf likes this.
  11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I agree. I thought Jackie Brown was a very mature film that still had great Tarantino elements and dialogue, but didn't need to be too over the top. I'm surprised to see it is 2nd in this poll, I never hear anyone talk about it when talking about him.

Pulp Fiction is obviously his best, but I personally like Jackie Brown more. I really didn't like Kill Bill, thought the whole live-action anime thing was just too overblown, too much action, not enough story. I haven't seen Django or Hateful yet, I've kind of lost interest in Tarantino, but will probably watch them one day. Reservoir Dogs is a classic, and Four Rooms was great, but his segment wasn't as good as the Rodriguez one.

jawaka1000 likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Hateful Eight.
    A bunch of dastardly characters meet their gruesome end in typical Tarantino fashion.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I picked Pulp Fiction but I’ve liked most of his movies with only two not making it for me. I absolutely hated Django Unchained and only liked parts of Inglorious Basterds.

14. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Pulp Fiction by a pretty wide margin, for me. Even though I really like the Kill Bill's a lot, PF is pretty much perfection.

15. Well, there was City on Fire, the 1987 HK film it ripped off. :)

GodShifter, GLENN and Lightworker like this.
  16. I went with Pulp Fiction - it's one of the quintessential '90s movies, less explicitly derivative than many of QT's other films, and despite some irritating bits holds up well and is a fun watch overall.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Didn't see that flick until later. QT snuck that in on me I guess.

18. Lightworker

That cab scene goes on WAY too long...

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting you mention that. Wasn’t “Pulp Fiction” non linear narrative taken from a Japanese film as well?

20. It may well have been, I don't recall. But it's not too unusual a film storytelling device in any event, so even if it was taken from another film I won't hold it against him.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. alexpop

Pulp Fiction is definitely his coolest film.

Lightworker likes this.
  22. Lightworker

I'd say Pulp Fiction was his 'hippest' film; Jackie Brown was definitely his 'coolest' film
    (Robert Forster and Pam Grier shut down Travolta and Thurman in any 'cool' contest).

23. alexpop

Jackie Brown"cool ?
    Wouldn't class it as cool, classy perhaps. A class act..way more mature than PF.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Lightworker likes this.
  24. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction is great and significant, but it's not one that I watch regularly. I really go to inglorious bastards and Jackie Brown the most.

Lightworker likes this.
  25. alexpop

No! I don't think so. But Forster/Grier had great chemistry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.