Tavish Adagio, Parasound JC3+, JC3 Jr or something else in the $1.5K - $3K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Apr 23, 2018.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Yeah, makes sense...

... as far as @mike catucci :) --- in all fairness he was on the waiting list for the Adagio then got impatient and grabbed the EAR... and has not tried the JC3 Jr or the JC3+ to date.... BUT I think (actually know) he has a JC3 Jr on the way to his abode that he found a good deal on...(Mike and I have been exchanging PM's)

... obviously he doesn't feel strongly enough about what he has tried to sell us on it.... but I don't want to put words in his keyboard! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    mike catucci likes this.
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The tavish is #1 on my shortlist that I would bite on if available. One thing is for certain, reading his posts and responses on diyaudio and the reputation and level of respect he garners from some of that forums harshest critics, he clearly is very knowledgeable in audio design and engineering so circuit-wise I wouldn't hesitate. Wait list is long but may just get on it, scott sounds like a pretty cool and laid back guy.

mike catucci likes this.
  3. At the bottom of the OP's price point is the Graham Slee Accession (they have one model for MM and the other for MC). I recently purchased one based on research and the recommendations of two people whom I greatly trust. I haven't had the chance to hear it yet as it's on order but I purposely ordered it from Music Direct who offers a 100% guarantee so I can return within 60 days it if it doesn't work out. I don't anticipate that happening but it gives piece of mind when there aren't any dealers in my area who carry it.

Graham Slee - Accession Phono Preamp | Shop Music Direct

Features include a mono switch, a flat/constant amplitude switch (potentially helpful with needle-drops if you want to apply your own EQ) and variable output level.

I did listen to a number of competitors and the Sutherland Insight was my 2nd choice. I'm at a different price range than the OP ($1K to $2K) so keep that in mind.

4. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Of the units I tried so far, the Black Cube SEII and the Rega Aria stand out as the ones I would try again if the price were right. This little Tube Box DS I have is not bad at 399 but tube rolling does nothing and now I have about 300.00 in tubes taking space up on a shelf and nothing else I own takes these type of tubes! I'm looking forward to the JC3 Jr for the price I paid (1k), I almost purchased that JC3 that's been on Audiogon for over a month but my offer was declined. I'm hoping this Jr holds me till I can save up for a Herron. I think that might be a step above the Adagio. Now that's a shootout I'd love to hear.

Bananas&blow and TheVinylAddict like this.
  5. mike catucci

Insight is a great unit. I'd love to hear what its big brother the 20/20 sounds like. I'm also really curious to hear how that Graham Slee stacks up against the Insight. Please be sure to provide an update when you can.

6. TheVinylAddict

How "short" is your short list? :)

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Currently it's a shortlist of 1 :p

I thought axpona was going to add to that. It did not :( wasn't much to see phono stage wise but even if there was you'd be hard pressed to really hear it.

8. TheVinylAddict

LOL --- I was half expecting that as an answer!! :) Understood...

BTW, I used to own the Hagerman Bugle on your profile - actually you own the "2", I had the "1". The Adagio will be a HUGE step up, like stepping over the Grand Canyon. My Bugle was OK, on par with my Mani, but not as configurable as the Mani, and more susceptible to EMI. The Lounge was another step up from there. Just MHO, YMMV.

Bugle is good, just like the Mani, Lounge and many others are good... personally I am just trying to get to the next level!

recstar24 likes this.
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Accession is a fixed gain MM only model right? Very interesting that it beat the Insight though. I'd be curious what specifically made it stand out. Thanks for sharing!

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Bananas&blow likes this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Great to hear! I've been very happy with the bugle, and I'm just saving up to where I can make a big jump in performance, versus making incremental steps along the way. The bugle is performing well enough currently where I can be patient for sure. I'd probably bite on a tavish classic though if I saw one used for a good price.

The adagio would be more than plenty and then some for my current setup. The balanced outputs are appreciated as my setup has me running a long ish cable from my bugle to my preamp, which can take a balanced input as well, so I'd imagine I'd get some noise reduction as well to boot.

12. TheVinylAddict

Sometimes I wonder what a Tavish Vintage or Classic would sound like side by side compared to the Adagio?? There is not a lot of press about the Classic either... although, again, the architecture looks solid, as do the options.

The Adagio is billed as the "spare no expense"option, and that costs $1K more. I did ask Scott about the Classic and VIntage, I recall him saying they both are not entirely Class A, all discrete / analog design.....

recstar24 likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

The Parasound units have that as well, although I don't know if it's balanced or not.

Shawn likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

Parsounds JC3 + and Jr both offer balanced outputs, but no balanced inputs.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. I'm looking at their web site and don't see a model that has this, do you know which one(s) does?

Products « Parasound

16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I just need someone to say "go for it!"
    :D

17. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

I think you mean tube instead of analog at the end of the quote. The Classic and Vintage are basically the same design, but using different tubes. They are both hybrid designs with a discrete solid state frontend for the MC input, and all the power regulation is solid state too.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

That, my friend, is entirely your call!

Unless, of course that "someone" you are referring to is your wife or significant other. (aka CFO in many cases - not in mine though :))

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

In the back of the unit is a dial where loading can be adjusted during playback.

The JC3 Jr, for instance. The knob to the left. Click on the pic to get a full-sized version so you can see what I'm referring to.

[​IMG]

20. Ah got it. I was looking for a dial specifically on the front (I thought that's what you meant when you quoted me) of the unit like the Musical Fidelity has.

punkmusick likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Makes more sense in the back. Wouldn't want anybody playing with it once it's set and isn't something which will usually be used often.

punkmusick likes this.
  22. We are working like dogs to get LCR Tube shipping and showing (We will be at the LA Audio Show 2018 in the room with the vinyl island). The review from Stereophile caused an onslaught of orders. Those :D pesky orders ;);) got in the way of good old product development/launching. We could barely, and sometimes not quite, keep up with delivering product within our one to two days shipping window we like to keep.

IanL, ranch 22b, Bananas&blow and 3 others like this.
  23. mike catucci

Wow -congrats on the review!! This quote from Herb speaks volumes:

"I could almost have forgotten I wasn't listening to the Lounge. Detail, imaging, and spatial development were about two-thirds that delivered by the Lounge LCR, which in turn was about three-quarters of what Tavish Design Adagio produced—and which, in its own way, delivered about seven-eighths of the Parasound Halo JC 3+'s famously spectacular imaging."

3/4 of what the Adagio does for 1/6th the price.

Pythonman, morinix and displayname like this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer