Taylor Swift - 1989*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

New tune is very catchy , really dig it ........ not sure i like the album cover .

2. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

The cover instantly reminded me of Vampire Weekend's "Contra," especially with the intentionally '80s vibe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I haven't heard the song yet, but the notion that it's "officially" a pop album and draws inspiration from late '80s pop is interesting.

I was very skeptical of Red because it moved in a different direction than I thought she was headed. I warmed up to it (though still wonder what would've been if she had gone another route), so I'll be even more open minded about this next album.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

And the cut off upper head reminds me of FKA twigs' "EP2".

[​IMG]

Aftermath likes this.
  5. Davidmk5

6. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Is that a Flock of Seagulls on her shirt ?

theMess and Marko L. like this.
  7. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Sure looks like she has a lotta fun at what she does...

kevintomb and zebop like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A pop album! Such a departure from her other stuff.

Sean, flac, DmitriKaramazov and 11 others like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Looking forward to it. The single's an earworm for sure. Not the mega earworm that "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was. But she's great. And so is Max Martin.

10. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

as a very casual observer, I don't know about that... what she does looks like a lot of work to me.

John Grimes likes this.
  11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Just watched the video with my nine year old daughter. She liked it and wants me to buy the cd. Taylor Swift stays rich and my kid continues to think I'm the greatest dad in the world. Everyone wins!

wave, Tree of Life, Kkfan and 11 others like this.
  13. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

^ This

I love my sweet blonde but you have said it a video that appeals 9 years old...i think it is a step backwards at least for my personal taste.

The teardrops on my guitar video showed me a young but also mature woman, the latest video shows me a kid.

14. Davidmk5

:D:pineapple:

bferr1 likes this.
  15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I saw a woman.

Like the part when she's in the Ann-Margaret outfit.

Davidmk5 and Marko L. like this.
  16. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

I don't know. As a music video it's about 1000 times better than the one for Teardrops on My Guitar. That one looked like something even I could have directed. IMO of course.

Not to mention, this one's much more fun.

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Catchy! I do miss the goats, though.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  18. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Taylor is a woman i love her, but the video is clearly aimed to kids too, that's why your kid enjoyed it but that's only my opinion.

19. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

With her tongue firmly planted in cheek...it totally works for me!!

Regards,
    Steve

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I am reserving the next 500 lines for Driver8 to give us his opinion on the new video.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As with "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," the lead single for this one is a lightweight ear-worm pop tune, although I find "Shake It Off" to be a vastly superior lightweight ear-worm pop tune to "We Are Never Ever." Despite her statement that the album was influenced by 80s pop, I find the overall horn groove and sound pretty similar to that of Amy Winehouse's "Rehab." If you're gonna borrow, might as well borrow from one of the best songs in recent memory.

On the other hand, I do buy into her statement in her video chat today that she is fascinated by the 80s since she was born in '89, I was born in '68, and, growing up, the 60s always seemed like this magical era just out of reach to my life experience, and, believe it or not, I know people her age who feel much the same way about the 80s.

Curious to see if there any ballads or acoustic numbers on the album, I fear not. I wouldn't go so far as to say that she is betraying her talent, but I wish she would do an acoustic singer-songwriter album with every song in the mold of "Sad Beautiful Tragic," "Begin Again," "Last Kiss," etc. I suspect she will do that someday, although I guess right now the challenge of becoming the biggest pop star in the world is more appealing.

Despite the total move towards pop, and the fact that she arguably already is the biggest pop star in the world, her adorkable dancing in the video goes a long way towards maintaining her girl next door appeal.

sunspot42, RevUp64, Marko L. and 2 others like this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My 9 yr old loved it too. I thought it was a catchy single, much better than We are Never Ever Ever, but all I kept thinking was Outkast and Hey Ya - "shake it, shake aha-shake, shake it like a polaroid picture"

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" would be on my short list of contenders for greatest pop single ever made.

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I had heard a rumor that the album might be titled Polaroid. Even though it's not, that seems to be a big part of the marketing strategy. The idea of including a different pack of 13 Polaroids with each CD (collect 'em all!) is a pretty smart way to maximize sales of physical media vs. downloads. In a way, it's a throwback to the old days of the Stones including postcards with Exile or the Beatles Sgt. Pepper cutouts, something to make the purchase of the physical album special.

Marko L. and theMess like this.
  25. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

My 10 year old daughter loved it! I think it is pretty catchy that chorus keeps playing in my head!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.