Taylor Swift - 1989*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Not really...

2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

well yeah i'm afraid...all popular music at the end.

3. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

The fact that she changed a chord this time is more Beatle-esque than usual.

4. Smiths22

Leppard introduced me to Taylor Swift, i've considered both artists pretty similar at least at this point:

Some people here get personally offended because of my statement but that's their problem.

With 1989 i'm not sure about that any more. She sounds so far like an artist named Rihanna but i'm gonna wait for a proper full listen.

ralph7109 likes this.
  5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

In this new track, is she singing "and that's how it works / that's how you get the girl, girl"?

6. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

7. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

It sounds like a deliberate vagueness—reminds me of "all you need is love, love" (the second "love" could either be just a repetition, or it could be the very British/Liverpudlian term of endearment). (If John Lennon wrote "How You Get The Girl", I would have no doubt.) When I saw that song title, I was wondering if the song might have something about that. Incidentally, I like this hook too, from what I hear of it.

8. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Taylor Swift is the worst that contemporary pop can offer today. Dull pop rock songs with the same Pachelbel Canon "revisited" chord sequences, really juvenile lyrics that can't relate even to the most mindless and dumb teenage queen out there... and, of course, some badly lazy pop rock tunes being dubbed "Country Music" is the cream of the crop.

Get me some Alicia Keys, Janelle Monáe, even Katy Perry but no Taylor Swift boring pop mélange of the most predictable music of the past decade.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

10. Smiths22

Finally!

Leaking next...

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Welcome to New York might be my least favorite Swift song ever. Just hits all the wrong chords with me. I can sort of get behind the other two, but there are a lot of things about Welcome that I don't like. The theme, the words, the music...none of it clicks for me at all.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I watched it out of curiosity after reading some comments. Music geared for 12 & 13 year olds. Curiosity killed the cat.

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Marko L. and Brudy like this.
  15. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Yeah, the article is more enjoyable than the album. Although given the pop landscape, I'd rather listen to this than most of her competitors. I'm tired of the "featuring" stuff, and the endless, undynamic beats and lack of melody. While there's some interesting stuff happening (Janelle Monae, for example), the majority of it is just soooo boring. IMO of course.

16. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

You've already heard the album?

Agree about Janelle, obviously.
    <-----------------------

17. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Just the bits that have been released. I know I should reserve judgement...

I got to see Janelle open for Of Montreal a few years ago. She was fantastic.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"...her voice — processed more than ever."

I didn't think that was possible. They must've come out with a new, improved version of auto-tune since her last record.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

I saw her last summer at Flow Festival in Helsinki. She should've been the headliner.

Brudy likes this.
  20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Hmmm, what's this? A Taylor Swift thread at fifteen pages on SH Forums?

Safe guess that a whole lot of hatred got us this far ... :hide:

21. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I was impressed with the first two singles. Never heard the new one (Welcome to New York?). Dang the songs are catchy ....

22. Smiths22

[​IMG]

No leak yet, the company has done a pretty good job.

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

24. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

Actually it's been surprisingly civil so far (after the rocky start). Or maybe the mods just have been extra quick this time, don't know.

Sordel likes this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

All I can say is her appearance on Jimmy Kimmel tonight has had Hollywood a complete and total traffic nightmare since yesterday afternoon! Why they schedule these outdoor things mid week during rush hour is beyond me. Tonight will be hell for commuters....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.