Taylor Swift Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Socrates, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm glad we put all that "social media" "hand-held computing" "space exploration" "gene therapy" and "autonomous machines" stuff in it's place! ;)

troggy and Socrates like this.
  2. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident Thread Starter

You said it, Ghostworld. Please feel free to share more with us on this thread. That goes for Blimpboy, too, don't run off on account of my stream of consciousness stuff. This is just how I roll on the internet.

Fun video here. I like the way Taylor talks. How much of REP is really about Ed Sheeran? I might be starting a rumor. Is that what I just did? She's making fun of his voice or something in this video. Listen to "Gorgeous." He should take it as a compliment. What's in the coffee cup? Just joking.

There's another great interview Taylor did from the 1989 tour, in Australia, from the stage. She's just sitting there in a chair, one afternoon before one of her shows. The interview is brilliant. Search the youtube. In that interview from Australia she says, "you don't yell at people." It hit me like a ton of bricks when she said that.

I just spent the better part of a year yelling at people, and it all ended with a speeding ticket, then I realized, like, everything. This doesn't have anything to do with the new fun Ed Sheeran video. This is the stream..of my consciousness. Blimpboy, are you still with me? Anyway, I was thinking of that older interview today when I was sitting in my car and getting that ticket. Taylor's words of wisdom... And all I have is years to write....

3. Socrates

Ah, just read that Ed Sheeran is getting married, and not to Taylor Swift. I didn't mean it like that anyway. Most songs are probably about different people put-together, with mixtures of emotions and how we feel about our relationships. Like Keith Richards says, songs are about "situations and emotions." Maybe some stuff is about certain people, probably everybody does that too. Taylor's new video is amusing. She's very entertaining. I wonder if she would consider calling her next album: "Another Side of Taylor Swift"? That would be cool.

4. Socrates

I'm not liking your post. Lots of people think it's normal to fight with other humans online. That's where we're at right now on this planet. I don't want to have any arguments online tonight with anyone, about records or tapes or anything else. So have a nice night. Enjoy the oasis of love or leave, whatever. Read something else if you don't like this so much. I'm not complaining about your posts on your favorite threads.

5. Socrates

6. Socrates

If I had remembered something Bob Dylan said after I got that speeding ticket you would have thought that was cool.

Edit: Or it could just be me. So far Gary hasn't sent me any pm's complaining about this thread, etc. Most people don't seem to be bothered by my T.S. thread. Go read the numbers in your dead wax if you don't like this thread so much. And can we all get over the Sinatra era while we're at it? And I don't mean Frank. I mean people performing his songs now. And btw I'm the thread master and I command that you to leave this thread if you don't like me or T.S.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. Socrates

People say I'm a loser. But I get lucky on the side. I didn't mean anything about the 'writing about Ed Sheeran thing.' Don't take that the wrong way. Imagine reading like-a-million words that I wrote or something. Think of all the directions you could go in. REP is also a celebration. Thoughts of Ed could be interwoven, lyrically throughout REP. That's all I meant by that. I wouldn't include him with the bad men on REP, just to make myself clear. And just to use the word "just" again, I just think that's what songs writers normally do. There's the natural inclination to write about people who are around us.

Now, should I be sending negative emojis to Karlie Kloss through social media, after she was seen with Katy Perry last night? Is that what the modern fan does? I don't want to take part in the artist wars. Sure, Mick might have said, "Good Day Sunshine is rubbish." But eventually he hung out with those guys. I remember the pictures of John Lennon wearing the Some Girls t-shirts. Me thinks 20-somethings can't get along with each other because of computers. All the ones that I know are like that, they have these little wars with each other on their devices. Because that's the way they were taught to think as a result of growing up on these machines.

8. Socrates

And now I've run out of editing time again. I would rather be right and lonely. So I'm not saying I can't relate to you.

9. Socrates

I just want to tell Bill Maher that the twenty-somethings I know aren't totally into handshakes. Fist bumping is always great. That was Howie Mandel, with the OCD, who came up with the concept of fist bumping instead of shaking hands. I don't know if everybody knows that or not. Instead of the handshake you do the fist bump now. Thanks Howie. Twenty-somethings are a weird generation. I swear if we took a survey: 20-somethings would think that their phones are alive on some level. I *heart* metal, plastics and elemental magnets. Emoji face. Bill Maher, listen to REP.

10. Socrates

At 2:45 in the video I posted, you can see that Taylor played cupid and got Ed hooked up. And now they're engaged. That's because Taylor is so nice. Anyway, I'm just putting everything together now. I missed that part at first. I will listen to REP for many years to come. Thanks T.S., you got me rocking.

11. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Just don't get to close at a greet and meet...may end up on CNN.

Davidmk5 and Steve G like this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I love Fearless.

Socrates likes this.
  13. Socrates

Why are there always a few dudes out there who persist in ruining my T.S. threads? And then I have to continue the thread, prentending-like nobody made any rude comments, or nobody posted any pics that appeared to be insulting to the o.p. (me) or T.S. herself. Bluesbro was either trying insult me or T.S.; probably me. And now bluesbro is free to merrily post-away on all of the other threads on this site. Yet I’m not posting after bluesbro, for example, on any of his threads, with pics of Bob Dylan making the ‘loser sign’ on his forehead.

Posts from other members objecting to this thread have already been deleted. It all started on page one. I’m sure the mods lose track of all of the complainers on this site, and I’m not going to pm the mods to tell them about people ruining my thread. So whatever.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  14. I'm not really a fan, but I do like the CMT Crossroads DVD of Def Leppard and Taylor Swift.

boiledbeans and Socrates like this.
  15. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

My 5 year old loves her!

16. Socrates

Yes, I remember that from another Taylor Swift thread. Good to know, 13331.

17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

This will certainly be an interesting time for Taylor swift. My two teenagers, like many, got the cd excitedly on release day. One quit listening a few tracks in, the other finished but didn't listen again, in fact traded it at FYE. So will she lose fans, gain a new audience, or stay the same in terms of sales?

Socrates likes this.
  18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I do not like country music. However, I'm a big fan of a lot of Taylor's music. She has about 20 songs that I really enjoy such as "Begin Again," "22," "Speak Now," "Shake It Off," "The Best Day," "Superstar" etc. Her last album 1989 had some techno-type songs co-written with Jack Antonoff that I found very oft-putting. But this new album sounds almost all in that style and both myself and everyone I know, including my college-age daughter and her friends, are not fans anymore. To me, it's also painfully apparent that Taylor has lost touch with reality and is living on a binge of parties and cool cliques that are in a different world than the rest of us. If she indeed has a downfall, that will be why.

Socrates likes this.
  19. Socrates

The reality of the situation is that Taylor just bought up, like, four houses in NYC on the same block. It’s not that she’s lost touch with reality, it’s just that her reality has ascended to another plane of existence. Some people think gazillionaires can’t write songs anyway. I love 1989, so I can’t relate to you on that point. Interestingly, Taylor didn’t have to go in a new direction. She didn’t have to before or after 1989.

And btw, the “binge of parties” are choreographed elements of the videos. That’s what she wants us to see. What she’s actually consuming, none of us know, unless we’re at her parties in real life. I can’t blame you for sharing a parent’s perspective, so thanks for replying to the thread.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But why?

21. Socrates

I don’t know. Because she read somewhere that “snakes are popular”? But as fans, we shouldn’t blame ourselves. Remember Rock ‘n’ Roll? I remember parts of it...

I just have a feeling her next album will be about having a spiritual awakening. Even though I think REP is cool, I’m holding out for the next one. And that’s the album that I think everybody wants.

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This thread has been re-opened after deleting many posts meant to derail and threadcrap.
    Thread starter, yes, thread host, yes, thread master, no.
    Normal procedure is to report any posts that are trollish, threadcrapping, etc. And that "dead wax" slight and the Sinatra crack, well, those are troll posts in your own thread. If you want this thread to remain respectful and fun as thread host it should be kept on topic!

Thanks!

Jerry, Peter_R and Aurora like this.
  23. Socrates

24. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Greatest songwriter of her generation? This is some hardcore head in the sand stuff

25. Socrates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.