Taylor Swift - new music & album "Reputation" (November 10, 2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Swift probably made the no streaming thing to get (even more) publicity for the new album, don't you think?
    Smart move.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Music sure was a lot more meaningful, and one spent a lot more time with the music when you took the time to go to the store, browse and make your selections. It's so disposable now. But Taylor has proven people will absolutely pay for music they want. And, we should. It is a ton of work to record an album. The whole streaming business model boggles my mind.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Maybe. I don't know, more likely she simply didn't want to give away something she worked hard on. Could be a bit of both, but genious either way. No one has ever called her and her management team dumb.

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I am almost 100% streaming now. I pay for it. It's plenty meaningful to me and a lot less of a pain in the... Songs I heard on the radio as a kid mean things to me, too, and I didn't have to pick through bins to hear those, either.

How much an artist makes is not my business and not my problem any more than how much the butcher makes when I buy a slab of meat or how much the gas station makes when I fill my tank is. They provide a product and the market decides what that product is worth. If they aren't making what they want to make from it, they either have to figure out how to make the product in a less costly fashion or make the product worth more on the open market.

Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Handel didn't make squat on album sales either. Didn't hurt the art at all.

Yeah, they tried that up until about 10 years ago. No one bought anything.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    MJD, Bevok and INSW like this.
  5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Of course, anybody could learn to be a butcher or run a gas station. Music is unique to the person and you're not going to find another person to make that same music.

DTK and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

That doesn't make it financially valuable. People confuse an emotional connection with a product to with its financial viability. Like was said above, it's the music business.

MJD and Bevok like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Definitely the best song of the first half.

FJFP likes this.
  8. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

9. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

Jrr, Davidmk5 and MedozK like this.
  10. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Right, but is it my problem if one of my favorite artists doesn't feel its financial viable to make new music? Yeah, it kinda is.

11. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

broccolid, Pizza and bob60 like this.
  12. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

At least this means there's non picture disc versions...

Jrr, Vinyl_Blues and MedozK like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Only a small fraction of artists ever made a lot of money from their music. Most artists never had a recording contract or, if they did, ever sold many records. The current situation isn't exactly a new problem for most artists.

14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'll wait til they hit the Bargain bin ;)

Taylor is getting her ass handed to her tix all over stubhub & ebay already for the tour , she signed on with the devil & here come the results ........... Ticketbastard/Live nation are gonna have a free for all making $$$ had over fist ................... Y'know cause they are "protecting the fans from the bots " :biglaugh::shrug:

Jrr likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

No way I will pay anywhere close to that for a pop album like that. That's nuts and very greedy. I could understand the $50 for two picture discs, though I wouldn't buy it, but $60 is just ridiculous. Too bad...I was planning on picking up a copy. They will just chase a lot of potential buyers away.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That's what I thought until I saw the price. Normally non picture would be much less. This makes zero sense.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

It really seems like Taylor handed over the keys to someone she thinks she trusts between $125 sweatshirts . $50 t-shirts , the $60 vinyl & the whole buy your way into getting tix ........... this can't end well , Presales have not even started & tix are all over the web , once fans that bought 16 copies of the album & merch trying to get boosts don't get tix or terrible one's it will hit the fan ........... Kinda sad to see as i've been a fan since the 1st album .

Jrr likes this.
  18. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

New album is now on Spotify (apologies if already posted)

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This also has to inflate her sales numbers, as fans buy multiple copies of her album to try and get better concert tickets. I mean, 16 copies, that's simply unbelievable.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  20. MJD

MJD Forum Resident

I hope you realize the music industry is going massively up in revenue thanks to streaming, do you?

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The artists don't seem to be sharing in that. I have a feeling that will change as the dollars go up though.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Is this really working on any kind of scale? I doubt we'll see numbers on this.

23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I doubt it too but I'd like to know how many fans have purchased 16 copies of the album.

Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread. Are there that many variations on the release?

24. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Each CD has a unique numbered poster, mine has poster 8/9

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.