Taylor Swift - new music & album "Reputation" (November 10, 2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Article on sales not doing as well as they should

Taylor Swift Ticket Prices Plummet as “Swift Tix” Charade Falls Apart

2. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I saw that in previous Taylor Swift discussions people mentioned she used the same chord progressions (I-V-VI-IV).

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not good with music theory but it seems she's changed it up some on this album? Like on I Did Something Bad and Don't Blame Me.

Taylor Swift - Reputation (Chords)

In fact looks like she didn't use I-V-VI-IV even once?

3. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

I can see where people are coming from in their criticisms but ignoring the celebrity treadmill stuff there were a lot of good pop tracks on here. It does give me a bit of perverse pleasure that for all the negativity, bad reviews etc its still sitting there in the streaming charts i.e. people are still actively listening to it (in New Zealand at 11 on Apple Music, 21 on Google Music). This despite being ignored by the Playlists after her antistreaming album release antics.

Davidmk5 and onlyconnect like this.
  4. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

She's mending the fences with streaming though. Although Spotify neglected to put her album on New Music Friday (maybe because it was released to Spotify 3 weeks after the album went on sale?), and didn't do much for the album initially, Delicate has been getting better treatment by Spotify.

Here's how many Spotify curated playlists with 1m+ followers it was placed on and the combined total followers for those playlists compared to other recent/current pop hits

IDGAF: 58 million & 19 playlists
    FRIENDS: 54 million & 14 playlists
    The Middle: 55 million & 18 playlists
    Havana: 59 million & 24 playlists
    New Rules: 64 million & 23 playlists
    Delicate: 52 million & 14 playlists
    End Game: 32 million & 6 playlists
    Ready For It: 40 million & 11 playlists

So there's a few of the more specialized playlists it hasn't been added to but it has been added to the typical set of "Top Hits" and "Pop Hits" type playlists that provide pop songs most of their exposure on Spotify. It's not like End Game and Ready For It where the level of exposure provided was much weaker and short lasting.

theMess and Bevok like this.
  5. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

Her tour promoters have just opened up two sections with partially obscured views at the side of the stage for her first show so I guess it can't be selling that badly.

[​IMG]
    They will cost $62.50 + $25 in fees, which is the price of most of the upper bowl tickets. All that's left in the upper bowl are individual tickets so this will allow people who want to see the show in groups for <$100+fees a chance. Hopefully Taylor Swift performs mostly at the front of the stage, catwalks and B-stages...

theMess likes this.
  6. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Bought the picture disc edition of Reputation for $8 from Import CDs as my 7 year old daughter is a fan. Actually doesn't sound too bad for a picture disc. Just having trouble processing that there is now a record with Ed Sheehan on it in the house.

Davidmk5, AndyH and lpfreak1170 like this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I myself an proud to admit that I have ordered this 2 LP picture disc vinyl LP.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

Awesome facts and analysis, she might have "made up" by doing the Spotify Single as well. Delicate is a fantastic single although there were some other good options as well. My personal fave Don't Blame Me for example ;-)

9. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I went to the second night at the Rose Bowl with my whole family this time so of course I bought the cheap tickets in the nosebleed seats because four good tickets is too rich for me! but anyway, she is pretty militant about making sure there are no bad seats, and as usual the musical high points took place at the "B-stages" - where we were sitting we got a solo acoustic guitar (!?) version of All Too Well, plus Dancing With Our Hands tied which shredded that album version and actually works as a folk-rock ballad, as well as Shake It Off with the opening acts as guests, and then she did Blank Space at the other B-Stage. So was it worth it? Yeah it was. If I'd gone alone I'd have gotten a last-minute seat up front for more money but she made the whole spectacle work from everywhere, and they had speakers mounted at the B-Stages so everyone got good sound and also there wasn't a speed of sound issue with the jumbotrons. I'd say it was better than the 1989 tour even from that location. I'd recommend going - it looks bad on paper but she's such a crucial inventive artist that she changes up enough stuff to make it worthwhile. And the aesthetics are a step up from the 1989 tour - less cheese video stuff.

10. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

Well I'm very tempted but I'm out in the sticks and the closest show is a 6 hour drive away in Minneapolis and the stadium there is known for poor sound quality. There are a few cities she's playing at that I've never been to and wouldn't mind visiting for a weekend though. Maybe Columbus or Nashville or St Louis. Maybe even Houston?

Looks like she's play a nice variety of songs in that first acoustic slot. So far she's done
    Phoenix: All Too Well
    Bay Area: Wildest Dreams
    Bay Area 2: The Best Day (for Mother's Day)
    LA: Red
    LA: All Too Well
    Seattle: Holy Ground

Perhaps she'll avoid play too many of the heartbreak songs (aside from the iconic All Too Well) since that's not part of the album's theme but perhaps we'll get to hear songs like Enchanted, Clean, You Are In Love, Begin Again, Our Song, Fearless and Sparks Fly.

11. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

Billboard just released the boxscores and her first 7 shows all sold out to crowds of 50,000-60,000 people with ticket prices averaging $120-$155. She's likely already outsold Katy Perry's tour which is on its 80th show right now.

Her 2018 touring might outsell the top 5 female solo touring artists of 2017... combined.

Celine Dion 101.2m 90 shows
    Lady Gaga 85.7m 41 shows
    Ariana Grande 66.5m 77 shows
    Adele Grande 59m 11 shows
    Britney Spears 48.2m 70 shows

theMess and Davidmk5 like this.
  12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

No doubt she'll kill Katy perrys numbers katy was playing arenas out here in boston & Ct. & tix were pretty easy to get where taylor is doing 3 nights at the football field ............. I just wonder how many Tix are being given away for free /Discounts etc.
    This tour will look Amazing on paper $$$$$ wise , probably did after each onsale , anything after that is Free money for them , get people in they'll spend $$$ on merch , food & drink ...... PLENTY Of tix for her 3 july Foxborough shows , she's been coming here since the 2nd album tour & it's always been sold out almost right away .

13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

It looks to me like they are 60000 seat shows with about 500 unsold tickets mostly in the high price but worth it sections like first row back of B stage etc. I'd go for it if I were you. Nobody is going to complain about selling 59500 tickets.

theMess likes this.
  14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

15. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

like OMG datz so kewl

16. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

You mean like the Radio guy that Grabbed her ass under her dress or the Crazy guy that keeps breaking into her apartment ?

theMess, Man at C&A, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Hell! I wouldn't mind grabbing her....... never mind... :whistle:

Davidmk5 likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind grabbing... a few tickets, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards this time around.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Davidmk5 likes this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Her tickets are too expensive down under now! People ain't happy either! They have pretty well doubled.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

A heads up. For the first Rose Bowl show, my sister was able to get very nice field seats near the B-Stage for around $200 (including fees). Apparently, prices for seats near the "B-stages" dropped from a "reputation package" price of $600 to a "standard" price of $175, or something like that. Still expensive, but a $400+ savings per ticket if you are patient. Apparently, prices were dropped in the week before the show, but you need to keep checking ticketmaster.

theMess likes this.
  22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

What Drbryant said , keep your ears open for Giveaways & watch for much lower prices as the shows get closer .................best of luck ;)

23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I might wind up going. The prices have gone from prohibitive to downright welcoming.

theMess and Davidmk5 like this.
  25. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I saw her last weekend in Dublin, the second of two nights, and I was very, very impressed. It was an exceptional production. I've never seen a stadium show do more to sell it to the entire venue, in terms of the screens, pyrotechnics and fireworks and in bringing the show closer to more people with the use of the two secondary stages. Sure, none of this is unique or unprecedented in modern stadium tours, but the execution was exemplary.
    Now, I'd be a moderate fan, owning a few albums (including Reputation), but I knew everything she played and was more than happy to sit there and quietly nod my head while girls next to me occasionally "sang" (it was more like shouting, but I didn't begrudge them) along to every word like it was their mantra.
    I paid €35 for what would have been a €150 seat, making it my best deal on a ticket since, er... getting a Rolling Stones ticket for €40 last month. This was after selling my original, coveted Snake Pit standing tickets for face value (€150 each) a few weeks earlier to someone I felt was more deserving of being up close and personal and who I knew would have appreciated being in the Pit more than myself.
    However, I was really happy with my seat in the stands, as so much of the show occurs in places other than front and centre of the main stage, so while you'd get a lot of close up action, Taylor would be some distance away from you for a significant portion of the set, not least two of her trademark songs, which are done on the smaller stages. Diehards would still be delighted with Snake Pit, but I was happy to observe from the comfort of the stand.
    There were two nights in Croke Park, the second was regarded as over-ambitious, and all sorts of stories were going around as to how many tickets had actually been sold. As a result of lacklustre business, there were many competition giveaways and freebies in the ten days beforehand, and there were tales of affiliated sports clubs being given eighty or a hundred tickets to hand out. A mobile provider had a contest which a lot of people seem to have struck gold on. Some opportunists decided to sell their winning tickets on, some listing them for hilariously ambitious sums of money. If nobody was buying them from Ticketmaster for face value (which is, you know, the very reason you've got these freebies in the first place), why would they buy them from you with only minor discount from what would have been their cost price? But others were generous and gave their prizes away.
    However, the key point I'd make in all this is that there was no evidence that the stadium was heavily populated with half-interested, mildly curious competition winners. In fact, some who'd attended both shows remarked online that the crowd atmosphere (and even Taylor's performance) was better on the second night, although one cannot rule out the buoyant enthusiasm that comes with getting to see a big scale concert for free.
    Similarly, reports from the first night were so unanimously positive that between the Friday and the Saturday, it practically went from being "the show that they're giving tickets away for" to "the show that nobody wants to miss". I was certainly delighted that I had a replacement ticket to back up the Snake Pit ones I'd sold.
    Either way, by the time darkness descended on the Saturday, and the trademark wristbands were all glowing, a casual look around would convince you the place was effectively full.
    As I said at the outset, I thought it was excellent. As a modern pop spectacle, it was very impressive, particularly the big finale. I had considered slipping away during the last song to beat the crowds. That would have been foolish, as the finale is really magnificent. If you're sitting on the fence and are even half-thinking about grabbing a ticket - especially if you can get one at a reduced price - I'd definitely do so. An unlikely contender for one of my gigs of the year.

notesfrom, theMess, bob60 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.