TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

You want to talk about lousy streaming quality...we cut the cord and went with Sling TV...when it works, which is rare, the pixilation is abysmal.

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Announced today on their Facebook page that it will be launching on Oct. 19. A 2 week free trial then $6.99 a month, $10.99 a month adds something called the Criterion Channel, which adds content from Criterion's library. No word on Apple TV/Roku/Fire TV apps.

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

The Criterion selections on Fandor will also be deleted I assume?

5. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

A niche streaming service that people can't access via Roku or Apple TV? Good luck!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It will be accessible via Apple TV about a month after launch, but only Gen 4. Roku and Chromecast are in the works. Details straight from the source here:

http://www.filmstruck.com/about/faqs

Relevant excerpt:

Where is FilmStruck available for me to access?

FilmStruck is available online, on mobile devices, and select TV platforms including the following, with additional platforms and devices coming in the future.
    Desktop

• Android Handsets and Tablets (OS versions 4.4 and higher)
    • iPhones and iPad (OS versions 9.0 and higher)
    • Amazon Fire TV (OS versions 5.0 and higher)
    • Apple TV 4th Generation - FilmStruck will be available on Apple TV in November 2016
    • Coming Soon: Chromecast and Roku

JackBnimble likes this.
  7. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

They're working on PS4 and Xbox One apps, but it doesn't look like they're working on PS3 and Xbox 360 apps. Lame.

8. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

So this isn't necessarily a TCM-channel streaming option, but a promising looking classic movie channel.

Hard to decide if it's worth another subscription.

9. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

If you have an Apple TV and an iOS device, you should be able to use the AirPlay feature. I'm hoping the app will support AirPlay since I have a 3rd generation Apple TV...

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

"No plans for PS3 yet, but we'll send that feedback along to our digital team certainly. Thanks for reaching out!"
    Well, that's disappointing considering how many people have PS3 for bluray, netflix and hulu.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wha? Why can't they sell it through the playstation store paying a brokerage fee?

13. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Well, nevermind... I just tried to airplay the app from my iPhone 6S to my Apple TV (3rd gen) and it blacks out the video. (I have it for free til the end of the year because I was a beta tester...*) If they don't resolve or offer this issue I won't be renewing (I can't/won't watch stuff on my phone...).

*I signed on to test it with the iPad, but my iPad 2 couldn't handle the beta software (couldn't use my phone...).

IronWaffle likes this.
  14. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

From their website: "FilmStruck supports casting via Airplay for supported devices and iOS versions."
    Hopefully, this is a kink that hasn't been yet worked out.

IronWaffle likes this.
  15. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

The app has been updated for iOS. AirPlay still doesn't properly function (tested my 6S with 4th gen Apple TV).

16. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I downloaded the Apple TV app last night.

I immediately axed Hulu, and after I finish Gilmore Girls, I'll dump Netflix as well.

Nice...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

17. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

AirPlay works!! (From iOS device to Apple TV 3rd gen.).
    The latest update resolved that issue.

18. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I think I may sign up for this once they get Chromecast support up and running. I could hook my laptop into my TV via HDMI, but it's too much of a hassle.

19. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Forum Resident

I've been using it on the iPad for a month or so, works very well. I had to restart a film two separate times due to a buffering lag but I don't think the app was to blame, more likely a service provider issue.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I just signed up for the two-week trial of this and am very excited. This looks like Netflix but with actual good movies.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Chromecast support (Gen 2 and Ultra devices) was just added to the Android app.

22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm in too--very excited, especially as I have the latest AppleTV so I don't have to deal with AirPlay.

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yep, I've decided to pay the $11 a month. There's some gaping improvements they could make to the app, though:

Let me rate the titles
    Let me select a cast/crew name and see everything else available with them
    The app in general just feels kind of clunky or unresponsive compared to others

The content itself is great so far.

pdenny likes this.
  24. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I need to respectfully disagree on one point. After years of Netflix, Amazon, Fandor, etc. user reviews piling up like a broken record. I would find it refreshing if there was a new streaming site that didn't have space for Joe Blow's two cents on why that movie "sucked".

chilinvilin and Solaris like this.
  25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Visual scrubbing like Netflix or "good luck" like Amazon Prime?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.