Tears For fears 2015 cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So is it going to come out this year? I heard they have been working on it
    since 2013? . No nothing yet?

JulesRules likes this.
  2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Soon I hope. I have tickets to see them in June.

3. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

They had said a single maybe in the spring and the album maybe in August with a tour to follow. That was said like the first of the year or end of last year. Nothing has been said since.

Full concert at Bonnaroo festival last week.

ARK, MikeInFla and JeffMo like this.
  4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I don't have the time to listen to this at the moment, but how's Roland's voice? He didn't sound too good on Jimmy Kimmel and I heard a version of TWH tuned down two half-steps...
    These guys are notorious for taking ages, and with an ocean between the two main guys, it probably doesn't make things quicker. I just hope they don't let anybody master the life out of it when it's finished, ELAHE sounds pretty bad.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

He sounded rusty on Jimmy Kimmel. But on this little mini tour he sounded great, in great vocal form. Across the board, Tears for Fears received rave reviews for their Bonnaroo concert, even one reviewer remarking that how surprising it was that they were one of the best of the festival, giving a very strong performance. Roland tweeted later that he was moved by how switched on the crowd was to them. Curt messed up in one song going flat and started messing with his in-ear monitor, but it was painful to witness. I guess he pulled it together. I can't remember.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    JulesRules likes this.
  6. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I went back and listened. It was Mad World Curt had an issue with and his in-ear monitor and had to have the audience sing for a few seconds, but he pulled it together after that and finished off the song strong. Actually, it's the most consistent Curt has sounded in a long time in a concert. And I think this performance of Creep was Roland's best yet. The audience went crazy.

My favorite songs were Memories Fade, Badman's Song (which the audience was really into), and Closest Thing to Heaven (great intro). Shout still remains one of my favorite closing songs to a concert. And Roland's vocals were as powerful as they were in the '80s on that song.

By why, oh. why don't they ever do the Broken outro to the already great Head over Heels? That would take that song to a whole other level live.

ARK likes this.
  7. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Relax brother.
    Take a listen to 'Badman's Song'(maybe my favorite TFF song) when you have a minute.Roland sounds fine and is clearly having a good time.
    I think fans and critics alike who only know them for 'Shout' or 'Seeds of Love' were blown away hearing some of the deeper album cuts.
    This band doesn't deserve to be thought of as some 80's nostalgia act who's best years are behind them.It's a shame ELAHE didn't receive more attention in 2005 when it came out.It's a fine album.Hopefully with a little more touring, media appearances and yes,a new album would be nice,these guys would get more respect.
    While were at it,how about a super deluxe 'Seeds of Love'?

8. JulesRules

I'm a bit worried that something might be happening to one of the greatest vocalists of all time, some comments on YT after mine seemed to solidify this. I'll be listening to Badman's Song when I have time (one of my favourite songs as well:angel:). Does he still do the "I'm in trouble every step of the way"? If so, then he definitely hasn't lost it.

I'm all for a SOL deluxe edition :goodie: and I thought it might be a good idea to collect some input on this forum but nobody seemed to like that suggestion...

I keep saying that ELAHE might have done better if they had kept Stephen Marcussen away from the album. The result was that it sounds much more samey than it probably did before the mastering. Boo.

And yes, these album cuts deserve to be held in the same regard as classics by Pink Floyd or ELO or whatever, but people keep putting them into a pigeonhole that they never really fitted into. Their first three singles were pure synthpop, but they had already broken out of that cage while recording the debut album.

9. JulesRules

I don't know, they stopped doing it after SOL tour I think. Although it was a bit pointless on there because the reprise of Broken only really works with the first half before HOH imo. That would be freakin' epic! (Broken/HOH/Broken may be my 2nd favourite TFF track after STSOL.)
    My guess is that they want the audience singing the "time flies" at the end of HOH, and that might clash with the band going into Broken afterwards. (It didn't work on Secret World Live... what would you say? How much better than SWL was the Bonaroo show? And why don't they film one of their concerts for a proper DVD/Blu-ray? That could also raise some interest...)

10. JulesRules

11. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Yes, he still does the falsetto "I'm in trouble every step of the way", although it's in a slightly lower register than in '90.

I thought both Roland and Curt sounded old and tired on Kimmel, but found the Bonnaroo gig very enjoyable. They haven't lost much since the 80's, apart from being out of tune more than a few times (the female backing vocalist has the same problem, so I'm guessing this more to do with monitoring issues than anything else).

JulesRules likes this.
  12. JulesRules

Well, that would definitely be strange if it wasn't down to monitor issues! You know... like some virus that makes singers go out of tune! :laugh:

13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

But, if they did an exaggerated pause between them to let the audience do their thing and then go into Broken, that would probably blow the audience away.

I saw them last year in Oklahoma of all places and they sounded fantastic. No vocal issues that I noticed and I'm quick to criticize a crappy performance. :)

JulesRules and JeffMo like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

They could break out the epic "Preacher Mix" and really blow everyone away, especially us hard core fans!

JulesRules and jamesc like this.
  15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's almost past june nothing for god's sake.
    Us, fans deserve something.. I feel this if ever comes out will be last cd
    together.

16. JulesRules

We fans would deserve something if there was more of us, imo. Certainly they know they are not going to reach a wide audience regardless of what they'll release, so they may think about pleasing the 'real' fans.

I can wait. David Gilmour's new album will dilute my impatience. The upcoming Seeds of Love box will probably contain some surprises so another thing to bridge the gap. As I've said a proper Blu-Ray with a full set and a great performance would also be a nice stopgap, and if properly advertised could even generate some buzz - maybe play a few new songs live like Rush or Simple Minds did?

Whether the next album will be their last, isn't that clear to me; the possibility of that is high, but even ELAHE was already called (on allmusic I think) "this enigmatic group's final (?) chapter" so, we'll see.

enro99 and jamesc like this.
  17. JulesRules

I'm not sure if I want Roland speaking the verses of I Believe in the style of a TV preacher instead of singing the verses, the iconic guitar riff gone and most importantly, the lack of the keyboard motif that ties the whole medley together! Never a big fan of the Preacher Mix really though I like the percussion intro and the panning of the guitar solo (L-R-L-R...).

Speaking of which, I used to think that the reason they wouldn't play Broken again is because they don't have Neil Taylor in the band anymore, but in the Scenes documentary Roland plays the solo :bigeek::eek::sweating:* so it isn't like he couldn't pull it off...

(*last smiley = me trying to play those fast parts on the guitar...)

enro99 likes this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I always liked the "Preacher Mix" but never could understand the acclaim for "Mother's Talk (Beat of the Drum)" mix - I found that annoying as hell....

At Fenway Park the other night, EWTRTW was played between innings on the sound system and it sounded fantastic. It is one of those timeless tunes that will be popular long after TFF have hung it up.

19. JulesRules

I do enjoy some of the spoken vocals and bass parts and stuff, but the 40 repetitions of "James Brown! James Brown!" and "de-de-de-de-de-de beat of the drum" are definitely annoying. I really love the instrumental version from the box set, which also allows some of the backing to be heard more clearly (especially the unprocessed vocals in the coda... big surprise for me!). The Extended Version is nice as well.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Jeff, you are a real fan for sure. And I don't mean of TFF...

JeffMo likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:laugh:

They even won that night!

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I found the Beat of the Drum mix to be very fresh and experimental at the time it was released and still have a soft spot for it even today. It was like the weirdness of their b-sides spilled into the a-side and then they turned it up to eleven! I was pretty excited in general about Mother's Talk though after the so-so previous single.

JulesRules likes this.
  23. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Just purchased tickets for the Mayo Center in NJ late September. It's been about a decade since I've last seen them perform. They don't seem to get to the east coast too much so, psych'd.

JulesRules, jamesc and JeffMo like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've been spoiled the past two autumns with deluxe box sets for The Hurting and SFTBC.

Anyone heard anything about a Seeds box?

25. JulesRules

Not since Paul said earlier this year that "the TFF reissue campaign is set to continue".

ti-triodes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.