Tears for Fears - New Greatest hits with 2 new songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The new single has a modern-day contemporary sound and, while I'm not blown away by the song and it will likely never be considered an essential TFF track, it feels like it's been a long 13 years since ELaHE, and I'm just glad the guys are still together with a new full album forthcoming. It seems to me that pre-release singles aren't usually indicative of the overall quality of their future full-length releases so I'd be very disappointed if this doesn't turn out to be the case with this new single and album.

JulesRules and Rooster_Ties like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Really?? Upon first listen after just a few vocals I could tell it was Cute.

Glad to hear that there still is a new album coming!!

Remy and Hep Alien like this.
  3. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

It's definitely Roland as the lead vocalist to my ears, as a huge Roland fan.

JulesRules likes this.
  4. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Reckon the single has the hallmarks of potential radio play succes; cachy, uptempo, infectious backvox et al. The balance of slick production and melancolic verses are quite good. Wonder if any 1 trk cd radio promos are surfacing?

5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

If `Goodbye Song' was on this comp I would purchase it just to support the boys.....

JannL likes this.
  6. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Well, it's better than U2's new single, You're the Best Thing About Me. I think it's a good song that would fit nicely in the context of the new album. It's not up there with their greats, but the song is growing on me. Roland can still write great lyrics.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Really? ELAHE is a great TFF album! It just sounds like utter crap. If they'd remaster it so it's not brickwalled and on vinyl, I'd be all over it pronto!

8. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Ideally all single edits or as many as possible.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Thanks

10. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

And no Suffer, even more epic

11. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Huge TFF fan here, but this new tune just doesn't do it for me. It sounds like they are trying to be Foster The People and failing at that. I had high hopes after Everybody Loves A Happy Ending, which I thought was great.

12. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I really don't see the point of including album versions on a Greatest Hits.

Ken.e. likes this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

In this day and age where we can buy individual songs from amazon or iTunes. not sure what the point is of releasing a greatest hits at all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

With the resurgence of vinyl, I could see a comprehensive collection on LP being offered. Is this coming out on 2 x LP?

15. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

They're the logical place to compile single versions.

Ken.e., red corner, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

We can. Some of us don't.
    Never been all that interested in buying invisible digital files.:shrug:

red corner, JulesRules and nlgbbbblth like this.
  17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Not sure, to be honest.

Understandable. In these situations, however, when I have pretty much every other song on a compilation, I am fine with buying the digital file of a new song or two.

snowman872 and JeffMo like this.
  18. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Whereas the compilation looks like Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" mixed with "Breakfast in America"! But I don't mind, since I like both bands :)

19. JulesRules

Except that the rhythm programming is reminiscent of "Shout", the spheric middle part brings to mind the middle part of "Sowing the Seeds of Love" and the final chorus has shades of "Pale Shelter". Yeah, sounds nothing like Tears for Fears... :rolleyes:
    Guitar? What guitar? (continuing the Supertramp references)

And I'm not sure I've read the name Dick Beetham before, but I guess he's no improvement over bloody Stephen Marcussen...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  20. JulesRules

"Last 2 albums"? RATKOS was somewhat compressed but certainly not a brickwalled mess like ELAHE...

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I find it interesting that you made it that far into the new song to figure out all that stuff, as it lost me about 25 seconds in! I'll be enjoying my 5.1 mix of "Songs From The Big Chair", while you are trying to re-live their past in a boring new song! Have fun!!!

22. JulesRules

Sorry, but if my favourite band releases a new song after such a long period (and the first new material since I've become a fan) I obviously listen carefully to it and don't just turn it off about 25 seconds in. If I had done that when I first started to get interested in the band, I would have never become a fan of them. Most TFF songs had to grow on me, and this one is no exception - though I haven't yet formed a final opinion.

(Hint: It gets better halfway through, as it starts to build momentum. I was also underwhelmed at first when I heard the beginning.)

23. SPikor82

SPikor82 Forum Resident

I'm a massive TFF fan, was finally able to see them this past spring. I love the new track. I've pre-ordered 'Rule the World' and will grab the new album, tentatively titled 'The Tipping Point', I believe. I am clearly one of the few that do not like ELaHE, in fact I hate it. I rushed to get it back in 2004 and dumped it many years ago and have never looked back. If "I Love You But I'm Lost" is any indication I think we'll have a winner of an album on our hands.

D-rock likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I just assumed you were a long time fan like some of us geezers! What song(s) made you a fan and how did you come across it?

I read one time that Donnie Darko movie turned on a new generation of TFF fans when it came out around 2003.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.