technically speaking, what is 'fake' stereo? (Duophonic, Electronically Re-processed, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveman, Dec 21, 2003.

1. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have some specific examples of this?

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are lots of budget comps of Patsy Cline's early stuff that use fake stereo as is, many early CBS CD's of MOR Greatest Hits comps originally issued on LP in mono and fake stereo as Johnny Mathis, Doris Day, etc. plus Harry Belafonte's Calypso CD on RCA use the fake stereo master mono'd down. There are several tracks on the fake stereo Mitch Miller Greatest Hits LP in true stereo but everything is mono'd down on the CD of the LP including the true stereo tracks such as March of the River Kwai.

3. BradOlson

The Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe Analogue Productions SACD is Duophonic.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

How is this possible? The LP and all prior CDS were fully true stereo.

5. BradOlson

Oxenholme claimed that this is Duophonic but apparently this is true stereo

6. BradOlson

I have a rechanneled Boo Boo Stick Beat by Chet Atkins on the 1990s Essential Chet Atkins CD on RCA

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo

"409" has never been in true stereo.

Drifter likes this.
  8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Right. Ya got me.

9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Make that four people. Thanks!

Bob F and MLutthans like this.
  10. empirelvr

empirelvr Forum Resident

Five!! :)

MLutthans likes this.
  11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

s-l1600-133.jpg
    I think this is the first time I've seen a "MOCK STEREO" reference on a label.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host

Straight out of Alice In Wonderland.

MLutthans and Daily Nightly like this.
  13. oxenholme

oxenholme High Quality Posts™ a speciality

One track, 409, is duophonic.

14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Interesting that the date of that UK compilation is 1982 - there was an earlier compilation from around 1977 or so called '20 Golden Greats' - I guess they were too lazy to remaster or find the true stereo/mono versions where applicable and just cobbled it together using the same fake stereo tracks from that earlier compilation! The practices back then were pretty shoddy, considering people were paying good money for these compilations - that whole range of UK released '20 Golden Greats' was littered with fake stereo versions and terrible ones at that - the 1969 track 'I Can Hear Music' by the Beach Boys which is readily available in true stereo was featured in fake stereo on the 1978 20 Golden Greats compilation in such terrible, mutilated sound quality, it sounded like it had been recorded off AM radio! Fortunately when they re-released the same compilation on CD in 1987, they properly mastered all of the tracks from their true mono and stereo masters...

MLutthans likes this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Forum Resident

I don't think anything from the Surfin' Safari era / sessions ever ended up in true stereo except for the outtake Land Ahoy.

A few years ago I did see this mono and stereo Surfin' Safari two-fer here and there -- both CD and on vinyl -- and it piqued my interest, but then I thought there would be now way a true stereo remix would be released without it being talked about here, so I passed.