Technics headshell question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Pass, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Pass

Todd Pass Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got a Technics SL-D2 and calibrated it to the Baerwald alignment. I'm still having some slight distortion and was able to get one of the Technics overhang gauges. If I remove the cartridge and headshell temporarily, do I need to redo my tracking force and anti skate again? I apologize for the newbie question, I'm coming from a former p-mount setup. Thanks.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Which cartridge? How new is the stylus?

Removing and reinstalling the same cartridge on the same headshell should not change the weight settings.

3. Todd Pass

It would be the same cartridge. It's an AT95E. I'm getting more distortion in the middle tracks vs the inner grooves.

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It shouldn't unless he's changing the overhang when he removes the headshell.

John Buchanan likes this.
  5. Todd Pass

So if I use the tool and then end up adjusting the cartridge position in the headshell, I'll need to redo my tracking force again, right?

6. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

I can see no reason why you should change either setting if you use the same cartridge, stylus and headshell. A counterweight is a counter weight so only if you change the weight on one side of the fulcrum should you need to re-balance.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

If the cartridge has been moved at all in the headshell, rebalance to zero and reset the tracking force.

utahusker and dogpile like this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I would, just in case. Maybe I'd try another alignment method as I'm at it since the Baerwald didn't quite work out ?

9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Yes if you move the cartridge forward, the VTF will increase, and vice versa.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's worth measuring for sure, but I don't anticipate it being off by much if at all. And really if you don't have a good tracking force scale and you're relying on the numbers on the Technics counterweight, it's not like you're going to get it especially accurate anyhow.

russk and Robert C like this.
  11. Todd Pass

Thanks for the help everybody!

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

I had that cartridge on an SL1200 and the Stevenson alignment worked better for me.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Scale is an absolute must. You're just beating your head against a wall without one.

14. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Yes. I have found that the settings on the counterweight aren't even close in practice on my tonearm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.