Technics LINEAR tracking turntables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by plexi0, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

any summary on these various models? which are the keepers? a lot need service. Are these arm motors servicable etc?

I used to have a J2 I believe and enjoyed it. Anyone else have any experience?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Virtually all will need some kind of servicing unless recently done. The tonearm carriage belt is the most frequent item maintenance wise. The SL-7, SL-10, and SL-15 of the linears are the models to have. Do remember, they only take T4p mount cartridges, and current offerings are limited.

3. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

I keep a couple of them around. The SL-10 is for when I'm drunk. The SL-15 is for when I'm really drunk -- it sounds better, too.

I still need to find a decent SL-7 and SL-M3. I'd be in more of a rush if the supply of half-decent p-mount carts hadn't dried up a decade ago.

Madness likes this.
  4. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I have a SL-7. I like it It needs a nudge if it hasn't been used for a while - the grease on the mechanism that moves the arm back and forth is the culprit.

I also have a SL-3 that I am trying to get rid of 'cos I don't use it.

5. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I just looked at internet pictures of the SL-7, SL-10 and SL-15. These are all just a bit wider than 12", and about the same width as depth (square). I seem to remember a Technics linear-tracking model that was substantially wider, and I remember liking it better in its day (maybe merely because I thought "size matters"). Does anybody know what model I am referring to?

6. colinu

Google (or Bing or Yahoo) is your fried: Search Technics Linear turntable images.

One that seems to be a cheapened version is the SL-QL1.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the other end of the scale is the SL-M3.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed. As the SL-M3 is the penultimate Technics Linear tracking turntable of the line. I covered the top model of the "Clamshells" aka Close and Play.

johnny q likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I have an SL-QL1 I've owned since new. Pretty decent turntable IMO. Of the three TT's I own, it's the only one hooked up.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  9. I have an SL-10 and the cartridge designed for it, the Technics EPS-310MC moving-coil cartridge. My son uses TT and I kept the cartridge , I use it with a adapter on my SL-1210MK. A lot of the Technics lower end linear tracking TT's were gadget devices but not the SL-10 and the SL-15. Back in the day they were designed for the music lover to get great performance without the hassle of tone arm setup and step-up transformers. Pretty close to "Plug N Play".

10. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

All the keepers have been mentioned; the next tier down is the J2, SL-5, SL-J33, and the like. All fine, but much lighter with more plastic.

11. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

The bottom SL-M3 belongs to yours truly. It's a very old pic; but, I do still have and use the deck. The cart loaded is an Audio Technica VS-245LP which I still have and use. Pioneer PDR-509 cd recorder is long gone, as is the rack. The SL-1500MK2 beside it is still in use, as well.

As far as LT's from Technics, I've had several. The only one that I did not think was up to snuff was the SL-J2. Although it was quartz driven, it was very plastic-y and felt and sounded like a toy compared to the others. The SL-QL1 pictured is not mine. I had two QL1's at one point (silver and the brownish/black) and thought they were both underrated, especially in comparison to many modern entry level TTs.

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

So the SL-QL1 is not supposed to be a keeper? It was considered a pretty good turntable back in the day and I consider it a very good turntable today.

13. colinu

My apologies on my assumption on the SL-QL1.

14. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I like the SL-QL1's. Solidly built and sounded fine; a keeper if in good nic. Both mine, unfortunately, developed speed issues. It came down to a question of where to apply my time and funds.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I once bought a mint SL-5 from my then boss, an electronic technician. But the tonearm played to the middle of the record and went no further . I returned it but told him to try fix it; I really liked it !! He told me he could not fix it and gave me my money back.

16. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

That's a shame. It's a common issue and is almost always fixable, as mentioned above, by cleaning, re-lubricating and replacing the tonearm belt. Incidently, the belts are not hard to come by, even today. For instance, the tonearm belt for both the J2 and M3 are the same "square" belt. I'd assume others models share this belt, as well.

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yup; I learned that on this forum,20 years too late. It would have made a terrific 2d TT since my receiver has 2 phono inputs and I have another rig with an amp with a commutable MM/MC one as well. Live and learn.

56GoldTop likes this.
  18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had one 30 years ago when I was taking a break from serious gear. It was cute but didn't sound that good, even with a Grado p-mount cartridge.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

do these cope with records that are cut off centre better than a deck with standard arms?
    I've often wondered if the different angle would make a difference to how noticeable that problem is.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No, and they also have some residual tracking error as they are servo arms (they must to operate as they go in and out of tracking to work).

21. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

No. You will still know (hear) that the record is off-center. Also of note, at least with Technics, there is no "logic mechanism" to move the arm back (away from center). There is some horizontal play as McLover eludes to; however, not enough. In other words, don't expect to be able to play Jack White's Lazeretto on these TT's.

Yes, they do (have some tracking error) because there is a lateral pivot, necessary to trigger the motor. However, the tracking error is considerably lower than any traditional pivoted arm and has far more "null" points across the entirety of the side. The sonic benefit is noticeable. Not literally linear; but, for all practical purposes, linear.

doctor fuse and vudicus like this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is not bad play, but there is play. The SL-10 and SL-15 are the best of the clamshells. I wish there were more cartridge choices and some all new options. Regrettably, T4p is a dying breed. And few current production options (older high end options can often use Jico styli, especially Shures)

23. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I always thought T4P was a "Sony-esque" move. :laugh: I would have preferred Technics to have done the same as Yamaha and Pioneer with provision for standard headshells.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How do you mean? I've used non-technics head shells with no problems

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

These do not use headshells. They are a plug in T4p mount only. Popular for a few years pre CD.

56GoldTop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.