Technics RS-728US Reel to Reel

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronald Hofmeister, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald Hofmeister

Ronald Hofmeister Member Thread Starter

I have a Chance to buy Technics Model RS-728U 4-Channel Reel to Reel tape deck. Here is the Trouble there is (2) of them on eBay (1) is in Russia & the Other one is in Japan they are for 100 Volt's & there is a Switch in back for (50/60-Cycle's) what would I have to change it to 120-Volt's? Would it be just the Power Transformer? I have one from the Technics RS-741US for 120-Volts. Would they interchange? I don't want to purchase it unless I am positive it will work out!!

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You will need a step up transformer, 100-120 volts. These machines also will be very difficult to support parts and service wise due to so few sold, and few technicians ever having seen one. Bear this in mind. Spare parts for these are unobtainable.

AmericanHIFI, The FRiNgE and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Hi! Just some unsolicited advice, I had a look at the unit you're considering. It is more budget "minded" by design. It's essentially a two head deck (two 2ch erase heads and a 4ch rec/ play head) It is a pressure pad type of transport, without any back tension on the tape. Another drawback, the only record options are "Front" and "Rear".

What are you planning to use the deck for? The deck is intended for 4 channel "quad" use, not multitrack. There is no sync option (although not needed with a two head configuration... but) The deck would need a "sound with sound" feature (which the RS-728U is limited) since you can not record separately on each channel. Plus there is no way to adjust the bias and eq on the fly, not possible on a two head deck. This deck accepts only 7 inch reels and there is no 15 ips.

I am not putting it down, just some info.. I have a similar "low end" Sony TC-355 in my collection (restored) and it's a nice little unit for playing pre-recorded tapes. It performs well for what it is intended for, and absolutely sounds great!

Why not consider a Teac A-3340 or A-3440? Or a Tascam or an Otari 4 channel multi-track ? These are plentiful, serviceable, and still reasonably priced.
    For quad, I'd suggest a Sony TC-388 ($200 on eBay) or Dokorder, Teac, Akai.... The Pioneer RT-1020 plays back quad tapes but does not offer record in quad.

AmericanHIFI, SinnerSaint and McLover like this.
  4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I would not buy any one motor R2R today. This is despite the soft spot which I have for certain 1 motor Sonys (the TC-377, 378, and 399).

If you are going to buy a R2R, make sure that it is a 3 motor design, and that it has at least 3 heads. The A-series Teacs are among the most robust and reliable designs ever. Although my personal favorites are some of the big 10.5" Sony and Revox machines.

AmericanHIFI and The FRiNgE like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My thoughts is get the Teac A 3340 or A 3440. Or get an Otari or a Tascam. Those machines are maintainable, far easier to keep alive.

6. TarnishedEars

The Otaris are excellent and super versatile machines. Unfortunately they are butt-ugly IMO. Overall I prefer my Tascam 44OB and 52, although I miss the front panel calibration of the Otaris.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Looks don't do you any good when your machine is not operational either. And looks are secondary to sound quality, reliability, and how accessible component parts are for repair. And I'd rather have a machine I can somewhat get spare parts for to a "Looks Deck" which many of had serious mechanical issues of various kinds. Like crummy DC motors which were undersized, and some manufacturers who didn't have the decency for current foldback to keep from burning up a motor, as some examples. And also cutesy tape paths, loading trickery don't do you any good. That said your Tascam 440B is a nice old machine.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  8. TarnishedEars

I know. But I still can't help the emotional reaction I have to a gorgeous old Sony TC-766-2 or a Technics 1500. And I'm especially fond of the sound out of those old Sonys. And when restored to good working condition, these are both excellent machines. I am also really fond of the Tandberg TD20As, but these were lightly-constructed consumer machines which have not withstood the test of time as well as have some others (even though these are superb sounding when running properly).

And I'm not a fan of the super fancy-looking Teac's or Akai's with small DC motors either. But gentle, all-rolling transports are really nice when you are playing older tapes which have either dried-out or which have become slightly sticky.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    AmericanHIFI, McLover and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. The FRiNgE

Yep! I am a fan of the "washing machine" motor to drive the capstan, over-engineering rocks! But I must add, I've never had any problem with my Teac A-3440's (owned several) always instant start on cue, no chirps, bounce, or flutter. I've never had one fail.

Function can be attractive, such as the Hafler pre and famous Hafler DH-200. The Otari is beautiful in this regard. Flash also counts, just looking at the machine can be gratifying, its value as a display piece. I much prefer the Revox PR-99 MkII with its bright finish vs the MkIII in half-gray, and especially with the custom gloss ceramic side panels. (adds a lot of weight.. beauty over function in such case) The Revox is a rare combination of engineering excellence and beauty. I am fond of the Pioneer RT-1050 two track, a bargain if you can find one. I agree on the Tandberg TD-20a. A friend of mine has the SE version with maybe three hours on it, a handsome machine, sounds great, but not as robust. The very handsome Pioneer RT-909 isn't as good sounding and prone to failure (IME) vs. the former line, the RT-1011, RT-1020, and RT-1050.

10. TarnishedEars

I agree with you about the PR99. I wish that I had snagged one of those back then they were selling for peanuts. I have a c270, which is similar in quality, except with a better transport.

The A series Teacs are nearly as robust as the Otaris. But they don't sound quite as good IMO. And for whatever reason, I've just never been all that fond of their cosmetics.

11. The FRiNgE

Yes, The Teac A series is known to be warmish sounding. I'm not sure if that's a characteristic on PLAY mode, or the REC function, or maybe additive by some over-bias? (slight over-bias for headroom and low distortion) I tweaked one of my A-3440's I used to record a band practice (with the handy RC-70 remote) however still had some of its mid-bass bloom, which bias adj does not get rid of. It gets the tracks down with low distortion, and close enough to flat, and the A-3440 is low noise. The slight bass emphasis can be eq'd during the mix stage. The headroom of the A-3440 is respectable, if not excellent.

My only Experience with an Otari MX 5050 was at the radio production room. The poor thing had been through WWIII, and was used to copy commercial spots to carts. I could not begin to assess its sound, since the radio spots are often not mastered well enough to make that assertion... plus we monitored through an old pair of AR speakers which sounded muffled.. something was wrong with them.

The Pioneer RT-1050 I mentioned in my previous msg, I did adjust to Ampex 456. The playback was indistinguishable from the source. It's a "portable" arm breaker for whatever reason one would need to carry it around, sort of an ugly duckling. I highly recommend it for any mastering project. I reluctantly sold it (had to) and in search for another clean one.

12. TarnishedEars

I've heard good things about those machines. I had assumed that they probably sounded like the 909, which I always thought couldn't produce sound to equal their sexy appearance.

I biased a Sony TC-765 for Quantegy 456. I loved the sound. That machine has PRaT in spades. It's also a 60+ lbs Tank. But I would not recommend it for mastering both because its not built for the abuse and because its not honest enough in its presentation. But man does it ever sound glorious.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Teac A 3440 is a very excellent machine, and reliable and well built. The ReVoxes usually were well built machines, which sounded great, and built with serviceability in mind. The Pioneer RT 1050 happens to be a favorite machine of mine and has been since new. I liked the RT 1011 and RT 1020 from new also. And these machines are on my recommended list by the way.

SinnerSaint and The FRiNgE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.