Technics SL-1200 (Mk 1 ?). Am I alone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrentB, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

Does anyone else have an original 1200? I actually have 2. Lucked into them at Salvation Army about 6 years ago for 5.99 each! One is missing the dustcover, but both are pretty much like new. They are slightly different however in the labels and power cords. The one that appears to be an earlier version doesn't even mention Technics. It reads Panasonic SL 1200 Direct Drive Player System on the top of plinth below the front of tonearm. It also has a Panasonic symbol. The power cord is brown and the connector is large and has cardboard type closeout between the prongs with a screw retainer. The other has Technics by Panasonic on the plinth.
    Both function like new and sound great. Not much info or talk about the originals(Mk 1) to be found. I'd like to have a nice Mk II. Maybe I should sell one of these and put the money towards one.

Helom likes this.
  2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I suspect that the brown power cord was installed by a previous owner. If the wire is stiff it might be time to replace it.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea--sort out which of the ones you have is the keeper and sell the other one. There are a few folks here that have an original sl-1200 like you, so hopefully they'll chime in.

Have fun!

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have owned both versions at the same time in the past. IMO, you won't get a substantial upgrade by moving to a MK2, the original is very good, so save your $$.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I've had a few in the past. The pitch controls need cleaning more often with age, and getting the knobs off is a real hassle.

6. BrentB

When I got the tables I removed the bottom cover and the knobs. Treated all the pots and switches with DeOxit. Have had no issues at all. Maybe I'll do it again sometime. I also ordered some Technics oil for the spindle. It even has the oil bottle holder under the platter like the Mk. II. I use a drop or two every six-twelve months. Usually after a long listening session while everything is still warm. That is how Teac and Ampex recommended it for reel machines anyway.
    It's been playing since 6:40 this morning, and I will likely keep flipping records till I go to bed around 10:30 or so. Great table!

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

I have one. It's a tank. I keep meaning to sell it but it always survives. I think it was the best table available under a grand. I was thinking it would be able to hold its own against the new one but I finally heard the new SL1200G and holy crap it is an amazing table.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It may be the SL-1100 I'm thinking of, but one model you have to twist the knobs past the end point to get them to thread off, trying to pull them off (like other Technics knobs) results in damage to the pitch controls.

9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I have a MK I, bought for $80, appears to have been "well-loved" and came without feet. But it runs great.

The main upgrade I did (aside from putting some dyna-mat car audio damping material in various places underneath the plinth) was to swap in a MK II tonearm. This is remarkably easy, believe me if I can do it without breaking something most people can, pretty much a straight bolt-in. (I have some step by step instructions on how to do this, with pics, saved in a MS Word file. If you are interested, PM me.) The arm I bought had been rewired with Cardas wire, and also had upgraded RCAs.

I also just bought a KAB fluid damper from another SH member, but haven't installed that yet. I'd like a better table someday, but I've been very happy with mine, especially for having less than $400 into it, including a nice AT155LC cart.

10. stickyfoods

stickyfoods Forum Resident

Did replacing the tone arm improve the sound a lot?

11. stickyfoods

stickyfoods Forum Resident

What cartridge are you using? I currently have a Shure M97xE.

12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I thought it did improve the sound. It is hard to know exactly how much because I subsequently upgraded my phono pre-amp (Lounge MKIII). The main reason I swapped in the new arm was to have the VTA adjustment, but I think the upgraded wiring and RCAs probably helped too.

The MK II arm also allowed me to install the KAB fluid damper, which I just did yesterday. At first listen, I'd have to agree that this is a very worthwhile upgrade to these tables. I think it tightened up the sound noticeably.

13. BrentB

I was using a Stanton 881 on this particular table. I swapped in my Empire 2000 Mk II with Jico stylus and the sound improved dramatically. I have a Shure 97 on my Sony PS-X50 that I am currently running in my bedroom setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.