Technics SL-1200MK2 Upgrades (Pictoral)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Well said!

Tim Müller likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is a hobby - until you have tried something - your opinion on it doesn't really matter. Enjoy your bearing - I'll certainly enjoy mine.

3. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Like I said.....in my opinion......last I looked you're entitled to yours too. Have a great day!

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Let's not bicker - sorry about it if I did - we both love Technics and that is a great thing. For me the table is a mechanical instrument and if there are better mechanical components out there - I'd tend to want to try them - I'm at the point where I'm not going to go any further because I feel the table is perfect as is - and I base that on my second table that I compare with - this has allowed me to end the upgrading route.

Have a great day yourself and happy new year!

Hendertuckie likes this.
  5. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Here's a picture of my rewired arm. I also got a Jelco headshell because I needed the extra mass.

6. dogpile

7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, in your opinion this is a waste of money. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, your opinion is just one among many. Many other opinions do not mirror yours. Nevertheless, again, this thread is for those who do hear audible benefits of upgrading certain parts of the deck. I think you maybe misunderstanding the difference between "fixing something that isn't broken" and "upgrading something". It's unreasonable to shout someone down who wants to experience a Koetsu or SPU just because their Stanton (in my case) works perfectly well. So, once again, I understand your point well. You are happy where you are. I think that's wonderful; but, that's not the point of the thread. It is, yet again, about those who are in pursuit of taking their 1200 to whatever level they want to take it to. And so, I suspect we shall continue on regardless. My most sincere apologies if that offends you. It is what it is, as they say.

8. 56GoldTop

Nice cart! (and headshell)

What is the platter mat? I've never seen that before.

9. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I wasn't shouting anyone down as you say but rather just offering my opinion. If anyone feels that they were "shouted down" then I offer my sincere apologies. I will be more careful stay on the thread topic in the future.

10. dogpile

Thanks!! It's actually a periphery ring from TTweights. I added some brass weights to the other edge for a combined mass of around 1lb.

The ring + record clamp is what I needed for all the warped records which I never played.

A thicker mat was required to accommodate the use of the ring.

56GoldTop likes this.
  11. 56GoldTop

Cool!

I actually use a TTWeights Classic 454 gram record weight on my tt's. They (TTWeights) do some very nice machining. I've seen periphery rings on VPIs and such. This is the first time I've seen one on a 1200 (and certainly with brass weights). :)

dogpile likes this.
  12. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I've had my SL1210 MK2 for around 8 years and it's been great. I've only heard 3 other turntables ranging from a consumer Pioneer model to a Linn Sondek. But I do think my vinyl and headphone system compares very favorably to my main digital and speaker system. I've been very meticulous about keeping it perfectly level and mounting and adjusting the cartridge. Other than this, the only thing I had done was to put a carbon fiber mat on top of thick rubber mat which I found improves the sound.

Just recently, I bought some heat shrink for $4 and put it on the arm tube. For those of you wanting to keep your tables stock, this is a very easy and reversible mod. I found this mod really improved the sound. It lowers the noise floor and clears up the sound so you can hear deeper into the mix. I can hear more details pertaining to the "air" around the music with a noticeable improvement in the soundstage. For those of you who haven't done this mod, I would highly recommend it. If you decide you don't like it (unlikely), you can easily remove it.

Seeing all the beautiful tables in this thread makes me want to upgrade this thing even more! I'm considering a tonearm rewire and PSU upgrade in the near future.

56GoldTop likes this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

14. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I had an SL-1200 mk2 a few years ago. If founds allow, don't waste time with the stock arm. Put something better on it from the start. Was a great deck. The Tech DD is killer and accurate.... even with the needle on it. Makes my belt drive looks like it's from the Flintstones.

motorcitydave likes this.
  15. dogpile

The stock arm is a very good and does its job. Excellent bearings and adjustable VTA. However, the nickel plated copper wiring has to go.

Tim Müller and motorcitydave like this.
  16. 56GoldTop

Closer pic of the oft talked about KAB fluid damper trough and paddle in situ on my otherwise completely stock 1200.
    I've been playing around with different fluid levels and may soon experiment with a different damping fluid altogether... or maybe not.

[​IMG]

17. 56GoldTop

Origin Live arm and armboard w/ pitch slider removed and custom finish (looks like Isonoe footers, as well)

Photo belongs to aniki666, whoever that may be.

[​IMG]

18. 56GoldTop

Funk Firm F*X arm wand and MK1 platter (plus other mods)

[owned by "Kevin"]

[​IMG]

19. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I just put a brand new arm on mine and a new dust cover both stock, so it is still stock. No need to upgrade yet it is my backup to my Scoutmaster...

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That is great.

21. tubbyslion

tubbyslion Forum Resident

A still from Dreyer's Vampyr on the label. Cool!

Photo belongs to aniki666, whoever that may be.

[​IMG]

22. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

These new aftermarket bearings are interesting even though I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the stock one per se. Are there any rumble/noise measurements comparing the stock vs aftermarket bearings? If a new bearing measurably lowers the noise floor by a decent margin, I might have to look into one. Maybe after I upgrade the power supply.

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have not compaired any bearings, but I have done some measurements on the 1200II when power on, and power off. The needle is resting on a silent groove without spinning. Here are two of the plots. I still find the influence not that dramatic, the noise floor is still quite low, but there is a difference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39225261/Spectrum_trafo_off_1200II.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39225261/Spectrum_trafo_on_1200II.png

56GoldTop likes this.
  24. 56GoldTop

Cool. Was this with the stock PSU with on board transformer or with an upgrade external PSU with transformer removed? Considering the average S/N ratio of a good phono pre, this should be a non-issue. But, for us crazies, I wonder how much lower it could get with an external psu and no internal transformer, possibly even with the strobe disabled (even though I doubt I'd ever disable it - kinda like having it).

25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

My God! The first two are to DIE for!!!!
    So much for the PLX-1000

the brave

56GoldTop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.