Technics SL-3350 Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mpstuff, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpstuff

mpstuff Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am wanting to try the "vinyl experience" on my home stereo. My father has a SL-3350 and a lot of original 60's & 70's records sitting in a cabinet collecting dust. The player has not been hooked up in years and I'm not even sure if still works. Are there parts readily available for this player? Does anyone have any experience with this player or would I be better off saving some money and getting an inexpensive player like the MMF 2.1? I have always been into digital and not even sure what to expect from vinyl, but I am excited to give it a try. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

2. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

I'd try it out and see if indeed it does work; if it does, it just might surprise you!

Check this out: http://www.vintagetechnics.com/faq.htm for any info on parts and service for these turntables.

My dad bought an SL-1700MK2 back in '79 that's sitting in my closet right now waiting for me to try it out on my system (need a phono preamp first). It was used last year by my brother for the first time since '98 and it operated flawlessly until he bought a new Music Hall MMF-5 (which he just sold after building up his home theatre). The Technics are usually very sturdy, rugged 'tables, and still used today by pro DJs! Seems many vinyl spinners here also use 'em, so you're in good company.

Try it out, and see what happens. If the SL-3350 does need lots of work and it's not worth it to you to repair, sell it on eBay and buy an MMF 2.1 (the Music Halls are all excellent choices for belt-drive 'tables). What cartridge will you be using?

3. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Looks like a pretty solid deck; if everything seems to be working ok, you may only need to replace the stylus in the cartridge.

[​IMG]

4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I would bet you that the table will just pick up where it left off. I just put an old SL-D2 back in operation, after being dormant since 1990. Before that, it endured heavy use at a roller rink. You can really beat the snot out of Technics tables, in my experience, and that's why I like them. Enjoy yours!

Dan

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Don't use it as a changer though - one record at a time - don't stack!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.