Technics SL-8500X Reciever

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronald Hofmeister, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald Hofmeister

Ronald Hofmeister Member Thread Starter

i bought a Technics Model Number SA-8500X Quad Reciever & am trying to locate the Grain of Wheat Bulbs I bought some & they are all to Dim. So what went wrong? How do I find the Original ones like the Sechmatic says?

Ronald

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

PL1 thru PL10 is 6.3 volts at .25 amp (250ma) and PL11 is 6.3 volts at 70ma (likely an indicator light). Problem is no one makes or has stock for 250ma grain of wheat. LED is an option. You need a diode and voltage dropping resistor for each LED

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- available grain of wheat bulbs like you bought are only 70 ma. The higher the ma rating, the brighter the bulb.

4. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

Please post a photo for those of us who have wanted such a beauty for such a long time :winkgrin:

5. Ronald Hofmeister

I bought this off of EBay 2 month’s ago & the Seller took me to the woodshed on the Reciever. I never in my life thought I’d have to replace all this listed below. 1st it took me 1 Week with Qtips to clean the whole inside out. I had to Replace the Power Transformer it was shot. I had to replace the 1 speaker Terminal Board 2 Broken Screws, had to Replace the VU meter’s Left Side wouldn’t work. 2 VU Meter Bulbs were out luckily I had an extra assembly on that, 2 circuit boards had it copper was a rusty mess. Inside Screws were rust. 2 Cabinet Screws were missing. I found the main trouble & it was a wire not soldered back in place, also the 2 power switch Screws were loose. I’m so deep into this Reciever & EBay won’t help me out. So I’ll just end up sending this unit in for Repair it’s beyond me now.

6. ThinWhiteDuke

Rust is never a good thing, all that humidity and you know the fine electronics are going to suffer.

I've lost two Technics receivers that I was refurbishing that way, one (Technics SA-T670 receiver.) I'd shipped from the other end of the country and it shorted less than 20mins into my first listen :(

7. ThinWhiteDuke

What are the controls and fascia like? Worth keeping and hunting down a less pretty unit?

8. Ronald Hofmeister

I will not tear this unit apart. I’d be willing to pay $75.00 for that assembly. Since I got $600.00 in it with Shipping. I know the SA-8100X & SA-8500X are identical. They are called Fuse Lamps. Now on that wire it was never soldered back in place after being repaired. And led bulbs won’t fit they are to small to go into the Bracket’s they only place I found that will fix it is a Panasonic service center in Georgia. The bulbs were dead before I got it.
    So people what kind of Rating should I give the person on EBay?? I haven’t done it yet.

Ronald

9. Ronald Hofmeister

I got all the Rusty parts off of the Reciever except the Bracket that the Power Transformer is mounted to. I got 2 more circuit boards to look at closer.
    I’d even go up to $100.00 to get the whole dial Station Assembly with the bulbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.