Technics Tonearm Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by atbolding, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just received this Technics SL-1500MK2. It's in excellent working and decent cosmetic condition.
    [​IMG]

Since I already have an SL-1200M3D, I was considering trying something fun with the SL-1500MK2. Namely, I'm thinking about modding it with a Rega tonearm.

This leads to a few questions that I was hoping you all might have opinions on:
    1. Which Rega arm? There's Moth RB-303s at the upper end of my price range, but is a used RB-300 or even a new or used RB-200 series arm a good option? (Incidentally, if anyone has one laying around they'd like to sell, PM me.)

2. Which cartridge? My current preference on my SL-1200M3D is a Shure V15 III with a JICO SAS. I've also liked the M97xe with a JICO SAS. But, what is good with the Rega arm that I maybe wouldn't use on a normal Technics? Ortofon 2M Blue, Denon DL-110, something else?

3. I have to fabricate an arm board. This machine has different mounting points than an SL-1200, so the commonly available boards won't work. I notice most of those are aluminum. I could easily build one from MDF, but I could also potentially have aluminum or plastic of some sort cut to fit. What material would you suggest? The arm board is mounted to the suspended steel sub-chassis with 3 screws in plastic mounts if that matters.

Thanks for any input this board can provide. I'll make sure and provide lots of pictures and maybe some audio samples as I proceed.

2. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

I cannot say as far as the arms go, but I will throw out my opinion on a cart. I have recently been using the at150mlx. definitely worth the cash! but of course you can run it on a normal technics so maybe this isn't what you're after?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.