'Ted' coming this summer. (2012)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jukin, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukin

jukin Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I don't know… It seems like a pretty weak premise for a comedy. And I'm saying that as a big Family Guy fan.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So; he basically lives with Peter Griffin as a Teddy Bear?

4. I might have bought it if only Mark Wahlberg could see the bear moving and hear it talking, but, it seems everyone can so...eh.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Sort of like how only Calvin sees Hobbes? :) That would've been much more interesting.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a very, very strange movie. I think it's one of those things that will do very well or will just bomb. My suspicion is the latter, especially if it goes out with an R rating (which I think it has to).

Hey, at least they revived Nilsson's song "Best Friend" from The Courtship of Eddie's Father. Also note that in the broadcast TV commercial, they've digitally removed the bear's glass pipe!

7. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

So yeah, this is basically the Australian TV show Wilfred but as a movie and with bigger stars. Seth probably didn't need to make American Dad, the Cleveland Show or this.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think American Dad, and (to a lesser extent) The Cleveland Show each bring something unique and funny to the table. Unlike this movie…

9. jukin

jukin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I like it and so does my wife. So there!

10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Seth MacFarlane has struck again!

Just as Stewie's character design was "borrowed" from Chris Ware's "Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth", "Ted" looks one heck of a lot like Lucas Turnbloom's "Imagine This" comic strip...

See for yourself:

[​IMG]

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, that is way too close. But I can see where a copyright attorney would say, "you can't protect the idea of a guy living with an anthropomorphic teddy bear that curses, drinks beer, and gets stoned." When you get down to it, it's nothing more than an updated raunchy version of the 1940s stage play Harvey (the one about the guy with the giant invisible rabbit), only done with a visible teddy bear.

I gotta say, Stewie Griffin is a liiiiiiiiiitle too close to Jimmy Corrigan:

[​IMG]

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I've tried, Lord knows I've tried, to "get" Seth MacFarlane. Still nothing. He makes me laugh as much as Dane Cook does. Or for that matter, Winston Churchill.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, Family Guy still makes me laugh. But it has felt a little forced lately.

14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I love me some Mila Kunis, but I won't be seeing this movie after watching the trailer.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I lol'd but this is probably NOT sustainable for the full running time...

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Looks like a foul-mouthed sequel to THE BEAVER.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, we'll have a three-way bill on the Hell Multiplex:

Ted, The Beaver, and Brown Bunny.

I shouldn't judge; we don't know of Ted is good or bad, yet.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hadn't heard of that comic before; but the similarities between that character and Stewie are really obvious. Especially the way Stewie was drawn in the first season in particular.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I dont get thatfrom it.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm looking forward to the movie explanation as to how Ted is alive, why he works as a bag-boy at the supermarket, how he drinks beer and smokes joints, etc.

I agree with Mr. Blue: it might've been in a more interesting film if only Wahlberg could see the bear. But apparently, it's kind of like Brian the Dog in Family Guy: everybody can talk to him, and the dog literally does drive a Prius, have a human girlfriend, and all that. Maybe it's one of those "you just gotta buy into it" deals.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The character design of the bear is really ugly. But then again, maybe it's supposed to be.

22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'd like to know why in the car scene ("I was sending a tweet") he sounds like Vince Vaughn, then in the next scene he sounds like Peter Griffin.

It sounds very uneven.

23. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident

It reminds me of "paul". Can't wait to see it!

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw this poster while going past a bus stop over the weekend, and almost drove off the road...

Attached Files:

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

[​IMG]

"Oh! Is funny because "coming" is double entendre! Ha ha ha! Oh, and teddy bear is touching itself! Ah Ha Ha!"

Ahem.

So, judging by the trailer and some TV spots I've seen, the whole premise of the movie is that a teddy bear is acting like the sort of person that most of us would avoid at all costs.

But it's supposed to be funny because it's a cute teddy bear acting that way which automatically makes it funny?

This is the sort of premise that wouldn't have been funny as a 5 minute long SNL skit, much less an entire movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.