'Ted' coming this summer. (2012)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jukin, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just watched it tonight. It was close to being sold out..

Very funny movie... Ribisi almost stole the movie...

Jessica Barth is a beauty...

2. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Oh I think they work in the context of FG but they just seemed out of place in the film like "hey just in case you don't know who I am". Only seems to fuel the fire of Seth being a one trick pony.

Damn funny movie, nonetheless.

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this today, finally.

I thought it was funny, but I was expecting even more. Most of the funniest parts were in the trailers.

Liked the running gag with Flash Gordon throughout. Sam Jones must've been hard up for some money. And poor Tom Skerritt. I wonder how much money he got for that disgraceful cameo (Funny that Mila Kunis' boss and Mark Wahlberg's boss both had photos with Tom Skerritt on the wall/in the office.)

Patrick Warburton (Puddy/Joe Swanson/Rules Of Engagement) had a wasted role. I really didn't see the point of him being in the movie and that leads to Ryan Reynold's cameo too!

If you close your eyes and watch this movie, you'd think it was a Family Guy episode (I guess Seth had that in mind: Mila (Meg), Patrick (Joe Swanson) and Seth (Peter).)

Sappy predictable ending to the movie though.

Funniest scenes in the movie were the Supermarket scenes with Ted, the checkout girl and his boss. Also, the physical fight with John (Mark Wahlberg) in the hotel room was very funny too.

Edit:

Does anyone know what footage they used from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson to superimpose Ted on? Was it a child star from the '80s, such as Emmanuel Lewis or Gary Coleman? Or was it ALF when he made appearances on Carson?

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Thank you! Now I don't have to ask the question OR waste my time on the movie. :righton:

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I saw TED, in full finally just a few days ago.

Completely obnoxious, rediculously offensive and always riding the line of good taste.

I laughed until I cried, cried again (air conditioning was up too high) and laughed some more. My SO didn't think it was such a funny movie. I literally walked away 2 days later, to laugh at 1/2 the jokes a second time.

I have NOT laughed so hard in a movie theater in a very, very long time.

If she got the chance to see Magic Mike instead of TED at the same show, it would have been better for each of us.

I may BUY this movie.

For those who didn't like it, it's a shame, but it's definitely NOT for everyone. The Boston wise cracks (I live in MA) were enough to make me almost lose my popcorn.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, what Sckott (?) said. Hilarious, totally bad-taste movie. We missed about 1/4 of the lines, our audience was laughing so loud and so hard. I'll have to get the home video version just to hear the dialog we missed!

It's doubly amazing when you find out that Seth McFarland actually wore a special suit and did dialog "live" on the set, and his movements were photographed by motion control equipment, which translated it to the CG teddy bear. Absolutely amazing -- and BTW, not a lot of people realized how good the visual effects were in this movie. They were really, really, really good, to the point where 1 minute in, you completely buy in to the bear being 100% real. It takes real skill to make a CG character that good -- especially when they get a little bit of pathos and sympathy at the end.

Nice piece on the production of Ted in this month's issue of Post magazine:

http://www.postmagazine.com/Press-Center/Daily-News/2012/Ted-Cruder-than-your-average-bear.aspx

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Am I reading this right? You broke up with a woman because she didn't like "Ted"? :confused:

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Am I missing something? Where did that post indicate that they broke up?

9. Oatsdad

That was how I read this: "My SO didn't think it was such a funny movie. I literally walked away 2 days later, to laugh at 1/2 the jokes a second time."

Not sure what "literally walked away" means - I probably read too much into the post, but that was how I interpreted it...

10. In keeping in line with some of the recent Prometheus thread observations, I just wanted to note that while I am perfectly willing to accept the possibility of a stuffed bear coming to life, there is just no way I can buy that Mila and Mark's characters could afford to live in a very nice Boston Back Bay apartment. :D

11. Great story...thanks for the link. That was also pretty cool that they were able to fill the Boston Hatch shell with a full capacity audience who stayed as long as it took to complete the scene. I think it also demonstrates that having a guy like McFarlane who knows a thing or two about animation controlling the purse strings and paying for the best techniques available really helped with the look of the finished product.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, they mentioned that McFarland was very demanding at the "naturalness" of the Bear's lip movements for dialog, which I gotta say, they do very well on Family Guy. I chuckled when I realized that they had to give the Bear "eyebrows," because otherwise his facial expressions would've been very limited.

This is a much better, more complex film than it appears to be on the surface. I still wish, though, that they had one line of somebody saying, "hey, Ted, have you ever thought about why you're alive in the first place, when you're completely full of stuffing and cloth?" And he could answer, "hey, you're totally full of crap, and somehow you're still alive and walking around."

13. Oatsdad

Does anyone's name get misspelled more than "MacFarlane"?

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm sure the bank gets it right...

15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Wow. I finally rented this from Amazon Instant Video and I'm sorely disappointed. I'm not a Family Guy fan (though I only tried to watch it a couple of times before deciding it wasn't for me), so perhaps I shouldn't have expected to like Ted. For whatever reason, though, I expected more absurdity from a movie with a foul-mouthed teddy bear. Sadly nothing in this film made me bust out laughing and if you replace the bear with a human the plot would be about the same as a million other Hollywood movies.

2trackmind likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just watched the "unrated" version, and good god... it's pretty raunchy. But we laughed from start to finish. I think the early scene where the parents freak out that their child's toy is walking and talking is a scream. Ted going on Johnny Carson was also well-done -- excellent match-moving, replacing Emanuel Lewis with the teddy bear. Funniest line I missed: Carson says, "I thought you'd be taller." Ted retorts, "I thought you'd be funnier!" After Carson falls down laughing, he says, "Maybe you don't watch the show that often," and Ted tops him by saying, "Only when Leno guest-hosts!" I also really liked the extremely violent fight scene between Ted and Wahlberg, which has no music and just sound effects; for what it is, it's actually fairly dramatic and only slightly funny, which I think is the intent. (Just don't try to think too hard about the physics of a 10-pound bear knocking down a 180-pound man.)

It's definitely not a movie for everyone, and I think there are some big stretches that some people will have a problem making. Having said that, there's a reason this is the #1 R-rated comedy of all-time (over $500M just in theatrical), and I think it will appeal to audiences who liked Family Guy, American Dad, and so on. It might be the most politically-incorrect movie I've seen in a decade, so bear that in mind when you watch it.

BTW, the making-of docs are very revealing, particularly when you find out that Seth MacFarlane was actually in the room with the actors when the scenes were shot, using a motion capture camera for all the movement, and actually doing the voice in the same acoustical space. I have to say, this adds to the realism of the performance, and I don't think there was more than 5 minutes of the entire movie where I didn't buy Ted as a real character.

Myke likes this.
  17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I finally saw TED on DVD. Great. Can't believe they get Norah Jones in the movie. She didn't just sing, but got in the swing of the dialog. The jokes were so-bad, they made you laugh.

18. I thought it was a pretty funny movie, unfortunately when I saw it in one of the NY theatres there were plenty of parents who brought their kids - not a good idea.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh... not a movie for anybody under 12, for sure.

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Why not? It does have a cute little Teddy Bear in it! ;)

21. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Or for anyone over fourteen:p

lv70smusic likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

23. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

24. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Saw the film on Blu. I'm not the biggest fan of Family Guy, it's okay, so I went into this not expecting much- loved it, don't think I laughed so hard since Borat. Definitely a film with adult humor and tasteless at times. Loved the cameos by Norah Jones and Sam Jones.

25. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Saw this the other night. Woke up this morning with "All Time High" stuck in my head for some reason. A couple hours later it came up on iTunes completely randomly. Ugh! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.