'Ted' coming this summer. (2012)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jukin, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Not going to spoil it for anyone, but it's not a mystery plot. And the review uses "thriller," which is a little more accurate.

2. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Probably so my 9 year old can relate to it when I take her this weekend. She's a big Family Guy fan.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Well, that changes everything.

5. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Really? There's no way I would let a nine year old watch FG. This film would be off limits, too.

When this comes on tv, I'll give it a whirl, but there's no way I'd drop money on this film.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Seconded.

What kind of irresponsible parent would take a child to see "Ted", much less let them watch Family Guy?! Both are very much not appropriate for children, period!

I bet there are a lot of dumb parents out there who take their kids to the "cute talking teddy bear movie" if they aren't really paying any attention to the commercials and don't read any reviews of the movie ahead of time (they're what I call "bad parents").

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

8. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I would re-think that. I saw the previews online and that was R for the language.

This is NOT a kids flick!

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Not that Family Guy is a kids cartoon. Far from it.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, the positive reviews (especially the one from Roger Ebert) and some funny bits in the TV spots convinced me to take a chance on it.

I'm perfectly willing to admit I was wrong with my initial impression from earlier in this thread.

It's damn funny, a lot more vulgar than I was expecting (not a bad or good thing, just saying…) and believe it or not, kind of touching towards the end in a "I know I'm being manipulated by the script but it still works" sort of way.

I've never seen the cult movie which is referenced quite a bit in it (don't want to spoil it for anyone) so the humor from that was kind of lost on me, but other than that, I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed the movie. Many laugh-out-loud moments.

I'm glad I gave it a chance. Highly recommended if you can tolerate the extreme vulgarity and very raunchy sexual jokes (which I thought they probably could've toned down without losing the humor).

12. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Just got back from this and thought it was awful. The notion of something that's supposed to be cute and cuddly cussing and acting rude was maybe amusing the first time I saw it done 20+ years ago, but was pretty tired here. Typical "shmoe with a schlubby rude best friend realizes that said friend is holding him back" story, only with a talking toy. If you find drug-fueled humor and everything that happens below the waist fascinating, have at it. The constant pop culture references were lazy and tired, and the major thread involving a certain SF film from 1980 was slightly amusing, until you realize that it's a total waste of time for anyone who hasn't seen the film. I'd like to see if the writer/director can craft something brilliant that's not based on referencing a bunch of cultural touchstones.

Additional demerits for lifting a scene from AIRPLANE! shot-for-shot and not giving credit where it's due.

The theater I was in was packed with frat-boy types who ate it up. Hurray for aiming high (or being high and not caring too much about your aim).

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, this thing made $54 million this weekend, which is stunning. Some are predicting Hangover-type numbers, with a similar gross-out R-rated plot pitched to a similar audience. I think a lot of people are surprised it did so well.

I think it's fair to mention Flash Gordon without giving anything away.

14. Wanted to watch it yesterday, all shows were sold out.

15. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Well, it's out, a #1 hit, and I saw it and e njoyed it a LOT! (And I don't even watch Family Guy.)

16. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I thought it was very funny. It's pretty crude (jokes about cancer, 9/11, Lou Gehrig's disease...) but the relationship between John and Ted was really well-done and near the end, the movie almost got a bit emotional.

17. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I think I smell Emmy!;)

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I liked it.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I smell something, too, but it's not Emmy.

20. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Remember all the uproar about Fritz the Cat in the early 70's??!!

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

What kind of guy-with-a-raunchy-talking-teddy-bear movie did you see 20 years
    ago that spoiled this one for you? I'd be eager to see it.

22. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Hilarious. Loved it. If you're a fan of McFarlane's style on Family Guy, you get a taste of that in the movie. There were more laugh-out-loud moments than I've had ever in a theater. Go see it!

23. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I meant more the notion that something that's supposed to be quiet and gentle (baby, grandma, teddy bear, nun) suddenly being loudmouthed and vulgar equals comedy gold.

As an alternative to TED, I'd mention the unintentionally creepy/funny children's film GOOBY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZgkedUK80

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Gooby over Ted. Duly noted.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ran out and saw it today, and loved it. I thought they did some very nice, sweet, well-done character bits that went above and away beyond just a simple "buddy movie" fantasy. Two standouts: Mila Kunis has never looked better, and I hope this gets her more work, because she did a completely believable, vulnerable, and emotional turn as the frustrated girlfriend.

And the music for the film was fantastic. Walter Murphy did a wonderful, wonderful job throughout. The whole thing to me played almost like a Woody Allen romantic comedy -- if Woody were to do an R-rated romantic comedy about a raunchy anthropomorphic bear and his 35-year-old slacker best friend.

I had no problem buying into the whole concept, though as we were walking back to the car, the people with me wondered why a stuffed bear would be horny, how he would have sex without genitalia (which is briefly mentioned), what happens to all the stuff he drinks (never saw him eat, but he definitely did some shots), and so on. At some point, you just have to buy into it. And some of the throwaway one-liners -- particularly about the cast of Different Strokes and actor Brandon Routh -- were almost litigiously cruel. Lotta laughs, but we were wincing on some of them.

Very highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.