Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Saw them twice when they came to Melbourne. Fantastic.

Mother likes this.
  2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Wonderful song. I love every album in varying degrees. A Catholic Education particularly. also Grand Prix, Songs From Northern Britain, Thirteen, Howdy, all top notch.

NotebookWriter likes this.
  3. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Count me in as a long-term fan. Spent a good chunk of the early 90s wandering the streets of Chicago in my proud "Teenage F****ing Fanclub" t-shirt. Nowadays, I will admit, yes, there is a certain mellowing in the tunes, but I buy their records anyway. I'd happily buy a Fannies box set, were that ever to appear.

Mother and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  4. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

So bummed they don't come to the US very often. I missed them a few years ago when they were here in DC and I'm still kicking myself.

melstapler likes this.
  5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Don't mind the new tune at all, but yeah, not great. I really don't care for the vocal on it. Norman's voice sounds sort of odd to me... I know he isn't in his 20s any more but his voice sound da really different to me here.

Regardless, instant purchase for me just because TEENAGE FANCLUB.

6. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Seeing them here in Dublin in December. Can't wait!

Dublintown likes this.
  7. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

was quite disappointed with last album , very very mellow
    at least this new tune "rocks" a bit

8. raginghessian

raginghessian Well-Known Member

man, "Did I Say" is one of my all time favorite songs ….It's one of those songs I always repeat as soon as it is done.

dlemaudit likes this.
  9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Loved "Shadows" (especially) and "Man-Made". Typical growers. It's been 6 years since "Shadows" but they've kept on touring. I thought Gerard Love's side project with Lighships "Electric Cables" (2012) was a beauty. I love the sounds these guys make and their ways with making music. They become a band/musicians where I continously feel excited about the next move. They're not very productive and a new Teenage Fanclub album would be an event. :)

10. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Anyone have a complete list of b-sides they could share?

Tom34772 likes this.
  11. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Man Made and everything before is terrific. Shadows just didn't do it for me at all.

dlemaudit likes this.
  12. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Wow, I think this new tune is fantastic!

13. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

This is the one I heard first and it's still my favorite

trumpet sounds and sixelsix like this.
  14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I asked Norman on Twitter if there was a chance for vinyl reissues of Grand Prix and Northern Britian. He said there is a fair chanc but some work to be done. Also he had no idea how much the originals are going for.

Lightworker, Man at C&A and the sands like this.
  15. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Would be great if IR could do these ...

16. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

New album out on september 9 th
    Amazon posted sound clips last week then deleted them ( too early )
    first impression
    Norman 's tunes rockin , great power pop tunes with one in particular sounding like a future classic
    Raymond good stuff will be growers like usual
    Gerry disappoints me like on last album , very ethereal, hardly hear his superb voice or the instruments for that matter

Marty T likes this.
  17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

18. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Looking forward to the new album in September

[​IMG]

trumpet sounds likes this.
  19. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

dont like this cover much i must admit

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Neither do I, but most of Teenage Fanclub's album covers have been dreadful, especially Thirteen & Howdy, but the music has always been sublime. My favourite band of the last 25 years.

trumpet sounds and dlemaudit like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd like Thirteen & Howdy to be reissued on vinyl. Coincidentally the two I mentioned above having awful covers. These are the only ones I don't have on vinyl.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Shadows was the first Teenage Fanclub LP I was disappointed in on first listen. It grew on me but I still think it's their weakest album. It's just too dull. The Fall is my favourite track. I didn't like that one at all on first listen!

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

actually , thinking about it , you are abosulutely right , i can't think of a decent album cover ( Songs From Northern Britain was the exception ) ah ah
    the music , on the other hand ...

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Teenage Fanclub seemed to stop touring as much in the U.S. as the 2000s progressed. I remember talking to a rude record store clerk about special ordering "Shadows" and he kept going on about how Mogwai was far superior and I should be buying their music instead. Thankfully, that record store closed down and besides, they didn't stock vinyl, mostly just bad CDs and marijuana leaf t-shirts.

25. My best friend loves them to bits but somehow they flew right under my radar. Of the very little I've heard 'What You Do To Me ' stands out. Been meaning to give them a listen for a long time but this sample really doesn't do anything for me. I hope it's not representative of their sound overall, it sounds like so much generic indie strumming you'd hear on John Peel in the late 80's/ early 90's. Dull.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.