Teenage Fanclub Vinyl Reissues Coming In July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Apr 25, 2018.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

What a massive bummer. Hell if a thing to wake up to.

2. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

I've just caught up with the news. It's pretty major given that Gerry is my favourite songwriter in TFC. It does appear that Gerry still intends to play on the forthcoming series of three night residencies which is a pretty good way to make your exit. I have tickets for night two at Manchester so at least I'll get to hear Gerry play his masterpieces from the Grand Prix/SFNB era.

DocShipe and Man at C&A like this.
  3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Bad news, but maybe he'll carve out a nice solo career.

4. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

are the band 'done'?

5. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

No, statement says that he'll be leaving after the dates later this year but the planned tour next year will go ahead without him.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I just heard. Wow, I’m really sorry to hear this. Teenage Fanclub are one of my favorite bands.

hutlock, RobNeil and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Crap news. Teenage Fanclub have always been one of my favourite bands, to the point of obsession at times! It's going to be a big loss for them. I thought the three songwriters in Teenage Fanclub would never split and just have extended breaks and side projects

Still, Gerry's wrote many superb songs which I'll play forever and we still have Norman and Raymond. Raymond has wrote some of my favourite songs on the last three albums.

8. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Same here. It'll be a drag not to see them and not hear any of Gerry's songs anymore.

hutlock and Man at C&A like this.
  9. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

He already released an album and EP as "Lightships". Very nice and mellow dream pop. Maybe more to come from that project?

punkmusick and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't think of that! They might not, probably won't, play his songs live anymore.

hutlock likes this.
  11. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

it's all a bit weird

like he didn't want to do the australasian tour so they booted him, or he thinks the band should break up and the others vehemently disagree

it's not really the fannies without all three songwriters tho

hutlock likes this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Is it possible that he has another project that is active in February and didn't want to give up his time to play TF shows overseas?

Whatever the case this is a huge bummer.

DocShipe likes this.
  13. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The Lightships album is great and hopefully the positive outcome of this is that we get a new one.

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I agree, it’s not the same band without the three of them.

This sounds eerily similar to what just happened in Fleetwood Mac. They booted out Lindsey Buckingham, ostensibly because he did not want to tour. So now he’s going on his own tour at the same time as his former band.

What is going on with these people?!

lightbulb and whatwhat like this.
  15. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Taken at face value it would seem there’s a reason he doesn’t want to do those shows, but this seems a bit of an extreme solution!

16. attym

attym Forum Resident

Does anybody know if the Amazon UK pressings would be different than the ones on Amazon US? All pressed at the same place?

17. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

Gerard wrote Fear of Flying. My current theory has to do with that fact. Perhaps a long shot, but the thought they're really not friends anymore?

hamicle likes this.
  18. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I last saw Fanclub about a year and a half ago and Gerard seemed particularly disengaged. I mean, it's not like TFC is the most high energy live act in the first place, but I don't think I even saw him look at the other guys. It was very noticeable and kind of weird.

That said, it won't be the same without him.

RobNeil likes this.
  19. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

He also wrote "I Have Nothing More To Say" on Here, which if taken as autobiography it definitely foreshadows his departure.

Clear me a space
    I'm in need of isolation
    A warm dark bed to ease my strain
    Been away too long
    My head is overloaded
    Rust in my bones, I have doubts in my veins

punkmusick, lightbulb and espendo like this.
  20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Super bummed about Gerry Love. Its a sad end for things. Points to Gerry for doing the dates though. That's classy as hell.

punkmusick and lightbulb like this.
  21. hutlock

No clue. Sorry. What does it say for the label?

Hulloder likes this.
  22. hutlock

Well if you got them in Philly maybe mine will show up in Cleveland today then.

23. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Received my signed copies in Philly just now. Can’t wait to dig :goodie:

24. hutlock

Just got my (unsigned) copies from Sandbag. What a bittersweet day... the news about Gerry leaving balanced by the 5 gorgeous LPs. *sigh*

punkmusick, Alien Ache and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Received mine in New York today. All the covers autographed on the front (was kind of hoping it would be the back). All of the covers have bent or bruised corners. I don’t expect perfection with these types of reissue programs though. Listening first to Songs From Northern Britain now. I had an original at one point but sold it so can’t compare the two. In isolation this sounds good. Bass seems more prominent than I remember. Also, seems like there is less space between the tracks. The vinyl is flat and very quiet (despite some visual blemishes). Inner sleeve states that these were remastered from original tapes. Do we have any idea if these are AAA? (my apologies if this has already been answered).

Still own U.K. Creation originals of Bandwagonesque and Thirteen so will compare those with these new releases.

Very excited to have this set though and pumped to hear the 7”s.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Alien Ache and hutlock like this.