Television -- Live at the Old Waldorf - part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

pathosdrama, mr.datsun and lightbulb like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks for posting! 2 lps. I'm very excited now. Love this live album!

3. This is a very good concert recording for the time and excellent performance by the band. Good to see the Adventure tracks getting plenty of exposure here, though more from Marquee Moon wouldn't have hurt (of course!).

Just wondering - anyone know if this is the entirety of the show they played there that night, or is there possibly more that was recorded?

jay.dee likes this.
  4. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Does this use the same Chris Bellman mastering as the RSD '11 issue?

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A must for all fans of Television!

Finch Platte and jay.dee like this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Having seen them live a couple of years ago and being dismayed at how awful they were (musicianship okay, vocals and stage presence both horrible), I've avoided their live material. Maybe this will change my mind?

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think Verlaine has a lot of stage presence. In terms of commenting on musicianship, I'm not sure what you mean. They are certainly not an in-your-face kind of rock musicianship entertainment kind of band. More laid back, with charm but intensity, sometimes a misleadingly relaxed/laissez-faire attititude, perhaps. I'm not sure how you are listening or what you expect. You probably also will have seen the line-up without Richard Lloyd on guitar.

For live recordings try the hot Portland, Earth Tavern gig from 1978. Also, see them on Jools Holland show in 1992/3 on youtube.

Guy E, ralphb and jay.dee like this.
  8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Maybe I caught them on an off day. Verlaine was very grumpy when I saw them. I've not checked out their previous live work, but it did seem a bit odd and ungracious to spend the between-song bits moaning about the sound onstage.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Maybe he was grumpy that night, but he's been at this a long time and probably expects certain level of professionalism in the sound presentation. I admit that if someone keeps complaining it would probably not help the gig.

When I saw them at Brixton, the bass was so loud he could not hear what he was playing. He stopped the second song after a minute and quite politely asked them to fix it, apologising in the process. I was very relieved as the bass was so loud it was really ruining the gig for me :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

So much better than the Waldorf album, which I've always found to be a bit lackluster. The 17 minute "Marquee Moon" from the Portland set is definitive.

LandHorses and mr.datsun like this.
  11. ralphb

Full show as broadcasted on radio at the time.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think it may have been you who's recommendation of the Portland gig made me track it down. ( if so, thanks :)) Is the Portland the one with two versions with quite different sound quality between them?

ralphb likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Welcome to Tom's world. But when they were on, one of the best live bands on the planet. And they were on at the Waldorf.

mooseman likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Portland is amazing, but the Waldorf is pretty special too. I don't find it lackluster in the least.

jay.dee likes this.
  15. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I know exactly what you mean. I saw them for the first time a few years ago in Chicago, and was underwhelmed by the show. The albums are fabulous. I'm not sure what I was expecting, for me their music is more contemplative than showy, more akin to the Dead than the Ramones, if you see what I mean. I am looking forward to seeing them again one day and having my socks knocked off.

The Waldorf album is great. I have the original CD issue and it's better than the Blow Up, for sure.

Ignatius and Chemguy like this.
  16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Links to buy this anywhere? (UK preffered). All I'm finding is the 1lp DOL edition

Thanks

EDIT - other than a vague Discogs entry, I can't find any evidence this actually exists

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I was checking Discogs, and it seemed to me there was a double lp as well as a cd called "Last Live". I think it's the same show.

18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Sorry, I meant this new 2017 repress

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. I'll never understand why this performance seems to get short shrift from some fans. It may not be as incendiary as some of their earlier performances, but they're still firing on all cylinders as far as I'm concerned. That said, I would love to get more archival live releases from this band in the 70s, even if the sound is less than pristine.

jay.dee and ralphb like this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Seems to me thinking about all the live albums I've heard, that they were perhaps inconsistent. One that I'm thinking of was the '92 live CD.

21. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Waldorf is a better quality recording but "Blow Up" is THE BOMB! It's Television, collect them all!

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For the people judging them based soley on shows from the 90's forward, stop. Not the same band, either in personnel or energy. They will never be like they were in 77/78. Losing Richard Lloyd was a death blow. Verlaine is only going through the motions to collect a paycheck. He couldnt resist when the offers became substantial, but he never really had any desire to fly the Television flag once the initial run was over.

punkmusick and mooseman like this.
  23. ralphb

Don't know. Mine says Archive Productions if that helps.

24. +
    KSAN "Jive 95" during the station's 10th Anniversary year!

In January of that same year, KSAN broadcasted the "Sex Pistols" from Winterland SF CA too!!

punkmusick, Ignatius and ralphb like this.
  25. ralphb

That's cool, we all hear things differently. It's not a bad recording by any stretch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.