Tell Me About Your All-REGA System!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bhazen, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I got mine for a small room, and the setup works fine. Sure, there's always room for improvement but so far I'm pleased with it. :righton:

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The 88.2 thing mentioned in prior posts is an Apple issue not a Rega issue.

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

RS1 owners: do you have yours set up close to the wall, or out a ways?

4. Rega themselves say there is not really an improvement in sound quality re the DAC-R vis a vis the DAC. You do get the ability to handle resolutions over 16/48 via USB, asynchronous operation of the USB input as opposed to adaptive isochronous, and a remote control. However, instead of 10 filter choices, you get 6 (3 for 16/44.1 and 16/48, and 3 for high res).

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163372

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    beowulf likes this.
  5. About 12" from the wall. Sound great that way.

Summerisle and bhazen like this.
  6. bhazen

Thanks Eric! :wave:

Billy Budapest likes this.
  7. bhazen

So: a few days in to trying out a DAC>Brio-R>RS1s system. Maybe 10 hours of playing time. Sound is rather forward and rhythmic, if a touch 'hard'. Both amp and speakers are out-of-the-box new, so early days ... but the exciting, pace-y Rega effect is clearly evident (even more PRaT, I think, than in the current entry-level Naim gear!)

8. No problem! I guess your system needs a little break in because I would never characterize the Brio-R or RS-1 as "hard" sounding!

bhazen likes this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Takes a bit of time to loosen up the motors.

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

They told me 200+ hours(!!) for the RS1s; seems to me the R1s I had five years ago took much less than that!

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My RS3s took about that long. I made some very long playlists in iTunes and let it rip for days on end.

bhazen likes this.
  12. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Excellent review of the Rega DAC-R in Tone Audio's latest publication.

bhazen likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Working up my own review right now! :) The sound is very similar except in the implementation of the USB which in the new unit sounds awesome... If you can live without the asynchronous USB the old unit (which I have owned) May be the best deal in used DACs.

Billy Budapest, bhazen and beowulf like this.
  14. Juhunio

Juhunio New Member

Hello rega heads, newby here!

I've had an RP3/Elys for just over 3 years, with a TT PSU for the last 2. Amp/speaker upgraditis has struck, so these last 2 nights I've had an elex-r and a nait 5si on home loan with a pair of Spendor a5r speakers. I love some of the detail in the nait, but it just feels like it's trying too hard. The elex-r isn't as 'open', but it's much more liveable with. There are times I've had to turn the nait down (or off!) due to it being painfully pushy at the top end of middle...not bright, just really tough going. No such issues with the elex-r, so...

Elex-r it is, and my Rega collection grows! It's in quite a small room with tricky placement options so rega speakers are out, the closed-box spendors are ideal and beautifully precise. I had a pair of b&w 684s on the nait last night and they were all over the place.

I've today listed the RP3 on eBay and am going to push on up to the RP6. Through my old amp (marantz pm6003) and both these home loans, I've found the sound a bit bright and brittle at times, on vocals more so than instrumentation. Im sure vinyl used to sound creamy and warm when I was a kid, now it all sounds a big clinical...I want to address that. I'm hoping the rp6 will just warm things up a bit

So, a couple of questions if I may:

1 is the rp6/exact a warmer/richer combo than rp3/Elys?
    2 is there a better non-rega cart option for warming/filling sound up?
    3. Great as in sure the on board phone stage is, has anyone tried adding an off board phono stage, rega or other, phone stage to the elex-r, and with what results?
    4. Anyone else got any experience of the elex-r with Spendor a5r?

Excuse the long first post, glad to have found this space to share the ongoing journey through rega-land! Any feedback/tips/encouragement/guidance welcome!

Cheers, Matt

PanaPlasma likes this.
  15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I own the Elex-R. I've owned all Rega carts from the Bias to the Exact.

To your questions:

1) No, Elys is 'warmer / richer' than the Exact. Owned both on a p25 sometime back.
    2) Try a Grado Prestige Gold (and honestly, the Elys is hardly bright -- so def don't go the Exact!) And since you've already added the TT-PSU, you are most of the way there already. Just add the Groovetracer!
    3) Waste of time with the carts you are considering -- Elex-R phono stage is quite good. I run a Ortofon Quintet Black through a Budgie SUT into the Elex-R's phono and I've very happy with it.
    4) I have mine paired with Thiel cs 1.6 (front ported), but I'd love to hear your combo! I owned a pair of Spendor s3/5r's years ago -- paired with a Naim Nait 3r (which was a nice combo).

The RP6 is NOT going to warm things up. It probably won't have much impact at all for what you are going for. And the Exact will push towards what you didn't like about the Naim.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    beowulf likes this.
  16. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Please feel free to take a look at an all Rega 2nd system that I'm working on and quite happy with so far. The link is in my signature.

17. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

That's some second system.

timztunz likes this.
  18. My second system is mostly Rega:

Brio-R/DAC/Apollo-R/REL T-5/Anthony Gallo Reference Strada 2

Cables are Rega Couple, Rega Quattro FSC, Harmonic Technology Cyberlink Copper, Rega Mains power cables, and REL's Neutrik Speakon subwoofer cable.

Sota Comet III turntable w/ RB300 arm and Shelter 501 II has been moved back to my main system and my Rega RS-1's are for sale.

Ntotrar likes this.
  19. Yep, the Exact is not a good cartridge. I have an Ortofon Bronze on my RP3, blows the Exact and I daresay any Rega cart away..... Well maybe not the expensive MC one, but Rega are not not known for carts.

I've got the Rega Fono mk II phono stage and almost talked myself into upgrading it, but after a little research I don't think I need to.

20. antskip

antskip New Member

I have Elex-R, Apollo-R, and from the weekend, DAC-R. KEf LS50 speakers.
    Elex-R was wonderful upgrade from the Brio-R, and the DAC-R likewise. I use Rega Reference electricity leads in preference to the stock. My interconnect and speaker cables are from Tellurium.
    There is a helpful review of the DAC-R (including a performance comparison with a DAC) at http://www.planetaudio.com.au/reviews/rega-dac-r/.

21. MrRibbits

MrRibbits New Member

Hi guys, pretty new to all this and looking for all your expert advice!

First, here an album of what I've put together over the past few years (https://imgur.com/a/Evrk7) :
    Rega DAC / Rega RP3 (w/ elys2) -> Rega Elicit-R -> Sonus Faber Concerto GP loudspeakers

Very happy with the setup, and looking for an upgrade path to my vinyl chain (though I was a bit disappointed to hear that the phono stage in the Elicit-R is the same as the one in the Brio-R. For the markup, I would have expected an improved phono stage!) Anyway, I'm considering the Rega PSU and belt upgrades, the Groovetracer upgrades, a new cartridge, and a new phono stage (maybe the Aria one day?). What upgrade would you say will give the most noticeable improvement ? Is there an order you'd recommend when going down this rabbit hole?

While I'm at it, I'll take cart recommendations ($500-$700 range?). I listen tomainly alt rock, indie rock, classic rock, prog rock, indie folk, americana, electronic.

22. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I had the Bronze and prefer the Exact.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Personally I like the Exact. Its a perfect fit for both Rega TT and phono preamps.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  24. Really?

25. Really again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.