Tell Me About Your Amplifier.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Eastern Electric M88

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a basic Chinese tube integrated that can work with a variety of power tubes—40 watts. It is probably a take on the Marantz 8b. Alex Yeung is the designer, and he has chosen to include a 16 Ohms output along with 4 and 8, and also put a phase inversion switch on the front of the amp. He sources his transformer cores from Japan. I am running mine with NOS CIFTE 12AU7s and NOS Ei 12AX7s, along with KT120 power tubes.

2. arar

arar Senior Member

I have Pathos Logos for three years now. I don't have a plan to change it, well, maybe if I find some good deal.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  3. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

I currently have a Denon AVR-1508 receiver now, but considering buying a refurbished Krell pre- and power amp.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  4. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds like a good idea . My friend uses a Krell KSA 80. It's superb.

Long Live Analog and Jerod like this.
  5. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

A pair of Modified Threshold T-50's (running as mono blocks) running my Aerial 6's. A Forte 4A running the center and a Forte 6 running the rears.

6. ocd1

ocd1 Well-Known Member

No external amp. Active Mackie HR824 studio monitors. 150 watts low freq/100watts high freq. fed from a jolida musical envoy preamp. Right now I can't see going back to a traditional hi fi amp, but you never know.

7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

[​IMG]

Primaluna Prologue One, shown here when I first got it with all stock tubes — I've since switched the 12au7s to some old Sylvanias and the 12ax7s to '50s RCA blackplates. Puts out a claimed 35 watts into 8ohms.

I picked this baby up lightly used about 3 years ago to replace my Rega Brio 3. I was really happy with it then, and continue to be in love with the beautiful sound it puts out through my Harbeths now. Sure, sometimes I'd like a remote...and some days (usually when the Slayer is spinning) just a little more power, but overall this is a phenomenal integrated amp that I'll probably have for years to come. I think I'd have to spend a hell of a lot of money to find a serious upgrade.

8. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I have four. The main system uses a Parasound A23 driving Martin Logan Preface towers. I use the Halo P3 with that amp. I like it a lot.

The vintage system is running off a Sansui G-7700 driving four Advent loudspeakers.

Bedroom system has a Music Hall A25.2 running four Bose 301's. I know...but really it sounds pretty nice.

I keep a Crown D-150A power amp ready for serious welding when necessary.

That's what I got, it's not a lot but sounds nice to me. You fellas would enjoy the sound and I'm sure you could make it even better.

Nice systems here btw. :tiphat:

jupiterboy likes this.
  9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

For my main system, I use a Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 integrated to drive some Totem Hawks. Proof that the "D" in "Class D" stands for "danceable," as it's a highly musical combo for SS amplification.

For my headphone system... um, what day is it? :) Lots of swapping out including tube and SS amps, open and closed cans, etc. Never a dull moment.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It's always nice to hear from members what's going on lately. Fun thread guys!

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have four Decware amps. A modified (by Eddie Vaughn) "C" Zen amp, a Torii Mk II, and two Torii Mk IIIs (one modified with the Decware Jupiter caps, the other with those caps and also a stepped attenuator.

I love the Mk IIIs. I really don't see myself wanting or needing another amplifier, I'm that "bonded" to them.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

(Not one of my amps pictured below)
    [​IMG]

IanL, Roger C, beowulf and 2 others like this.
  12. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Rogue Audio Stereo 100. A beautiful sounding KT120 based tube amp with sound that rivals the ARC Reference 75.

SandAndGlass and arar like this.
  13. Meet my Rotel Family. Playing music (and video sounds) 4-5 hours per day on average since 2002. Nothing fancy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Bob_in_OKC, Jerod, jupiterboy and 2 others like this.
  14. I hear you're getting a new turntable soon ? :tiphat:

Long Live Analog and Jerod like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Mine is a Krell KAV 400 xi, phone pre-amp is Graham Slee era Gold V. The Krell is a very revealing amp for sure!

16. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I have a couple:
    In my main system I have a Vincent SP-331 tube/SS hybrid amp that puts out 150w @8 ohms, 300w @4 ohms. I like it very much.
    In my secondary system in my office I run an Jolida JD502CRC tube integrated amp that uses 6550 or KT88 power tubes. It sounds sweet!

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Shhh. I don't want to get this thread pulled too. :)

Long Live Analog likes this.
  18. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I recently had to choose between three different amplifiers: a Pro-ject, a Musical Fidelity and a Teac.

It had to be a compact amplifier, so size was the most important factor in the decision. The second consideration was price, thus NAD was left outside of these choices: although compact, it was about $200 costlier.

At first, it seemed as though the Teac had everything that I was looking for: a compact size, a reasonable price, plus USB and headphone inputs. But after reading a few reviews on amazon I hesitated, ultimately I ditched the option on the basis of design. The project, and especially the Musical Fidelity, had an elegant design which I found much more appealing than the Teac box.

With only two options left, these were the pros and cons: Musical Fidelity had a USB input, but lacked a remote. Pro-Ject lacked USB capabilities, but had a remote (and was less costly).

I must confess, what tipped the balance in favour of the Pro-ject box was the remote control. I should be receiving this order next week, and soon I'll find out whether I made the right decision or not. The decision wasn't probably the best, for I still need USB interaction with my turntable, so I need to buy an extra gadget to acquire the capability.

19. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

My amp is a Balanced Audio Technologies VK-75. I have made quite a few mods to the unit and think it's going to stay.
    This is a list of the work I have done to the amp.
    1)I drilled and tapped the case of the amp with 1/4 20 so Stillpoint Ultra SS's mount directly to the frame of the amp.
    2) I replaced the 4 coupling caps with V-Cap cutf copper foil caps.
    3) I replaced the full wave bride rectifiers with Shockkty diodes in set of 4.
    4) I replaced the internal wire with audioquest solid copper wire.
    5) I replaced the balanced connectors with Cardas Clear XLR connector.
    6) I replaced the input resistors with Nude Vishay resistors. A total of 4.
    The only other tweek I would like for this is amp is to get a second one so I could have mono blocks.
    Tim

Roger C, Johnny Vinyl and jupiterboy like this.
  20. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

My main SS amp is the Meitner Audio CAS-10. It is a stereo amp with 100 wpc. My main tube amp is an Audio Research VT-60 (6550 tubes).

I also have,
    Goldmund SRI-2
    Meitner Audio STR-55
    Naim Nait 1 (red LED)
    Cary Audio CAD 300 SEI - single ended triode using 300bs
    Linn Majik Music

Plus two pre-amps, a Meitner Audio PA-6i+ and a DNM Model 2.

Scott

Johnny Vinyl and jupiterboy like this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

Got a couple of these recently - PBN Mini-Olympias. I'm using them as monoblocks. They replaced a pair of Bryston 7B SST2 monos and sonically they just murder them. Never heard such clarity or transparency before. 160 W x 2 or 600 W mono. Also 30W x 2 Class A.

All S.S. amps sound the same ? Uhhhhh...no.

D.D.

SandAndGlass and motorcitydave like this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I used to bi-amp a pair of KEF 103/4's with an Alpha 9 & 9P. It was the gateway to this madness...:help:

D.D.

23. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Modified Dynaco Mk III tube monoblocks
    Carver 1.0t
    Carver PM-900
    Carver PM-1201

24. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I'm currently using a Crown XLS 2500 class D amp - 440 watts per channel at 8 ohm. I actually have two 2500s and a 1500. I plan on eventually using the built in crossovers in them, but don't have speakers for that yet. I like music loud and clear. This thing never breaks a sweat. Stock photo

[​IMG]

25. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Which mods have been the most worthwhile? Do you feel like you have gained insight into sound reproduction in general by modifying what you have rather than changing out to different gear?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.