Tell Me About Your Amplifier.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

In 2012 I bought my first tube amplifier, a Peachtree Decco 2, which took a little getting used to since I'd never had an amplifier with no tone controls. Lately I've been moving my Macintosh computer downstairs and using it to play my Apple lossless files and I am so pleased with the sound. Now, I have to decide if I want to rip my whole collection, which isn't much compared to some of you guys to my Mac.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

All the mods or part swaps have made me feel closer to what is actually on the recording. The coupling caps and Stillpoints made the most difference.

I was following some ones lead who has already done most of the mods I listed. Everything done makes sense.

Tim

3. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Here we go again: Power and Intergrated Amps only,
    Kenwood ka8100
    Nikko Alpha 220
    Adcom gfa 555
    Adcom 5802
    Classe 301 then
    401 Dont Ask.
    Musical Fidelity KW500
    Vincent 236mkII
    I really forgot some of these and I bet I still forgot a couple.....

4. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

This moment I have a Conrad Johnson LP66S with ET88 tubes (from Electro Harmonics).

I have on order a Devialet D200, which couldn't be more different in approach, and I can't wait for it to arrive because I like switching things up :)

5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had that amp for eight years. Then I sold it to a friend who had it for 15. Just last week we lent it to another audiophile pal who is using it to run a pair of vintage ADS.

Great stuff.

bhazen and utahusker like this.
  6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Oh, my current amp - Croft, series 7 hybrid tube/mosfet.

raferx and bhazen like this.
  7. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

McIntosh MC402....400 Watts/channel, quad balanced.
    [​IMG]

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Back when I had mostly Adcom equipment in my main system, I strolled into the local hifi shop and had my proverbial mind blown by a setup with a Rega CD player, ProAc speakers, and an Audio Research integrated. The first thing I did after that was patrol their used listings until an Audio Research integrated showed up. It was a CA50.

[​IMG]

dat56, Johnny Vinyl, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  9. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Like I said I forgot my Mcintosh 7270 power amp. Bye.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Nice amp.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  11. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

I've run a Stratos Stereo Extreme since 2005 (which looks just like that) driving Odyssey Loreleis. Nice to see other Odyssey owners here! Klaus frickin' rocks!

Before that (1990-2005) in was an Adcom GFA-555. Before that it was receivers (NAD 7240 and others). Not much of a gear flipper....

Doug_B and Digital-G like this.
  12. motorcitydave

PBN? The speaker company?

13. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

I spent a fair amount of time with James Bongiorno and friends while he was designing and manufacturing that amp. He's actually toned down his outfit a bit in this photo!
    I still have one of his SST Trinaural Processor stored around the house somewhere (in the same blue color, as James demanded).

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Currently in rotation 55 wpc Heathkit W-7A mono blocks, big sound with EL34's(pic shows KT77's but I've since moved to Mullard xf2 34's)whether through my Klipsch Cornwalls or Dynaco A25's. Not much to look but they're my favorites in a group of several tube(including 2 other sets of Heathkit mono blocks) and ss amps that I own.

[​IMG]

15. motorcitydave

I agree. There's some similarties, but exactly the same, no way.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

200 wpc Rotel RB990-BX, in use since 1996. Current preamp: Adcom GFP-750.

17. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Previous amp a Forte' 4A (50 W class A per channel $1,700.), made by Threshold. Had that amp for 17 years. Very happy with it.
    WhenI bought some new Magnepan speakers decided a bigger amp was good. So listened to a Bryston 4B-SST² and was pleased it was better in the treble than my well praised Forte' So I bought the Bryston 4B-SST² (300 W per channel $5,000. ) and am happy.
    It is most likely the last amp I will buy. (unless I won the big lottery)

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Hey don't worry about that stuff .........
    I recently did what most here would consider a downgrade ...... I sold my Rogue Sphinx after a year and purchased a Marantz PM6005 and I couldn't be happier, it's a cracking little amp !
    I was quite enamored with the Sphinx there for awhile but I reached a point where I just admitted to myself that I wanted more versatility with my playback. I got tired of pretending that I didn't miss being able to tweak my playback to taste. I love having Tone Controls back in my life !
    I'll never be a purist in that sense, and I'm not the type to dick around with room treatments and the like. Plus, the novelty of tube rolling with the Sphinx ended up being money I got tired of spending. I'm at stage in my life where I want hassle free listening time and the Marantz gives me that.

:edthumbs:

bhazen and jupiterboy like this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Rega Brio R, Music room.
    Sansui Classique 250, "vintage" stereo. Living room.
    Sony STR-DG910, 7.1 surround receiver. Family room.
    Onkyo CR-445, CD/iPod receiver. Bed room.

33na3rd and bhazen like this.
  20. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Rotel-RB-1582

21. analogy

analogy Active Member

Thanks for that.

I now almost feel safe enough to admit I listen with loudness on for most of the time... :sigh:.

timind and moops like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Gorts!!

Ntotrar and Diamond Dog like this.
  23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Will there be a separate thread for each power cords, speaker cables, interconnects and power conditoning or will those be wrapped up into one thread? The impact of these things on sound quality cannot be overstated. We should also have a chance to tell everyone about our listening environment- acoustic treatment, speaker positioning and the like. Spend all you can on gear, but without getting the room right you may as well flush that cash.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Let's hope so.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

My main amp is a 30 watt Cairn 4808A integrated amp operating with the first 10 watts in class A. This amp is subbed out with a Dared VP2000 tube amp which puts out 18 watts via 6L6GC output tubes. If I need more power, unlikely, I'll bring in an older Harman Kardon PA2200 amp which I rewired and recapped.
    My most recent purchase amp-wise is a Bottlehead Quickie preamp. This battery powered pre has a nice sound and is very quiet unless you touch it. It has the most microphonic tubes (3S4) I have ever seen. When I say just touch it I'm not kidding. It rings like crazy but is dead quiet as soon as you take your finger off whatever you touched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.