Tell Me About Your Amplifier.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

This.
    [​IMG]

It works well.

dat56, motorcitydave and seed_drill like this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've had this about three to four months now and what a difference it's made to my listening experience!

[​IMG]

jupiterboy, Shiver and 33na3rd like this.
  3. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bet it does

4. Django

Django Forum Resident

Marantz PM5004

5. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I've got a NAD integrated amp in both of my systems (C375BEE in the living room and C356BEE in my 'study' set-up). Each time I have been in the market for a new amp, I have auditioned a dazzling amount of different brands within my modest budget both at home and in stores and for some reason always ended up with a NAD. It may be just a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but I don't care as long as my amplifiers sound good to me - and they do.

I have to admit that a couple of years ago I was briefly smitten with a Musical Fidelity M6i, but to be able to buy one I would have had to trade in my C375BEE and I simply didn't have the heart to do that. Apart from that, I don't think I could ever have been a 100% sure that I hadn't made a mistake and that surely would have spoiled my enjoyment of listening to music once and for all. Someone may think I am a fool, but at least I'm a sentimental one.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

These are the specs on the M2

M-2 Specifications
    • Production Years 1979-1980
    • Rated Output Power 240W +240W (8 ohms, 20Hz ∼ 30kHz 0.005% T.H.D.)
    • Power Band Width 10Hz ~ 100kHz (8 ohms, 120W, 0.01% T.H.D.)
    • Power Band Width 10H ~ 100kHz (8 ohms, 120W, 0.01% T.H.D.)
    • Input Sensitivity/Impedance 1.62V (240W/8 ohms)/25k ohms ± 5k ohms
    • Frequency Response: DC Input 8 ohms, 1W 1kHz:0dB
    • 8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms 160W/200W/280W/390W

• I bought it at an estate sale for $100.

blakep, jupiterboy and Ortofun like this.
  7. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Liberty Audio B2B-100 (PBN's Peter Noerbaek's customer-direct line). 110Wpc (8 ohms). class-A/B design with MOSFET output devices. Operates in either Low or High bias mode. Also can be operated as a mono block w/ two of them.

I won this in the raffle at "The Show" in Newport Beach earlier this year. Using my NAD 326bee integrated as a preamp (next upgrade; maybe for Christmas). It's probably not the greatest match for very efficient Zu Omens (which I need to try some tubes with), but it was a use huge step up sonically from the NAD.

[​IMG]

Diamond Dog likes this.
  8. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Have you done any upgrades in that time?

9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Don't they all sound alike anyway??? (just kidding) My Atma-Sphere MA-1 Silver Mk.3s at very least, they look like little else. And sound wonderful too.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one mono block. They are mirror imaged (symmetrically opposite), each run 14 (count'em) cold war military issue 6AS7G/6H13C Svetlana power tubes.
    (this shot was before the Mk.3 upgrade and auto-bias being added, so you see an additional manual pot. on the front panel)

I suggest: make love! not war

Happy Listening!

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Just bough a Devialet D120 a few months ago to replace my old Rotel. Love the clarity.

[​IMG]

11. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    My Rotel receiver just died but now replaced with a Rotel RA-985BX integrated amp with TC-750 phono pre amp. I tend to pick things up on Craigslist and always liked Rotel. Never had a chance to listen to some of the great amps on here. It's black and heavy!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Just love my Croft Series 4 Monos with Croft Super Micro A.

[​IMG]

JG

Johnny Vinyl and Shiver like this.
  13. chodad

chodad Hodad

No I haven't. It still sounds great but I should at least send it in to be serviced soon and that's when I'll explore my options. I just hate having to pack it up and being without it for an extended period.

14. Electric

If you're interested in upgrading to Stratos Extreme monoblocks, PM me.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

High current pure class A 100 watts per channel. CAT JLI's with KT120 upgrade.

[​IMG]

16. Another happy Bryston 4BSST user here.
    I don't think it's the be all end all either - but I really like it and I'm having hard time figuring out what would be a better fit with my Tannoys. I tried a pair of Shindo CC80 but that was a bad match with my speakers.
    I'd like to hear the Parasound JC-1s in my system.

17. Electric

I like the listening room pictures. All in one place.

This is what I want to buy next:

[​IMG]

Johnny Vinyl and KeninDC like this.
  18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So you hear people generalize about auto-bias circuits stealing a little life from the sound. The other side is that you always have perfectly biased output tubes. What is you impression after living with both on the same monos?

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

One of the power amps... NAKED!

[​IMG]

JG

Johnny Vinyl, Dmann201 and 33na3rd like this.
  20. blakep

blakep Senior Member

[​IMG]

Shengya A-216

Weight: 46 Pounds
    Hybrid Integrated Amplifier (Tube Pre/Solid State Power)
    150W x 2 into 8 ohms/250W x 2 into 4 ohms
    Fully balanced dual mono design
    Machined Remote Control with input, balance, volume and mute

Grant Fidelity had these before Ian Grant sadly passed away with a list price at $1850 but I believe they were commonly sold around $1200. Mine was a used purchase at $600 a few years ago. Probably difficult to purchase new in North America presently. I've been very happy with it.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My main system is currently bi amped with 2 modded Adcom GFA 5800 amps. Occasionally I'll go single amp and swap in my classic Dynaco ST 416 or a Pioneer Elite M91 for a change.

In my other systems I have integrated amps, Pioneer A91D A717, Receivers, Yamaha RS 700, vintage Radio Shack STA 90, STA 2080.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  22. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

B&K ST 2140

180 watts into 4 ohms

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

McCormack DNA225
    Steve McCormack Platinum mod and ARC-2 (advanced rectifier circuitry)

Johnny Vinyl and thegage like this.
  24. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

[​IMG]

This is my rather rare 811-10 'Siegfried' made by David Berning (no longer in production), and here I'm using the 572-10 variant output tube as I find it a richer more musical sound than the more common 811-10. This is a single-ended design, using Berning's patented impedence converter (ZOTL) that eliminates the normal wire-wound transformers and gives a more direct OTL style coupling of the output to the speakers. At a mighty ten watts per channel of pure single ended triode sound coupled to my Avantgarde Duos in a large listening room, I'm sometimes almost overwhelmed at the sound, especially the dynamics.

25. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

Lot's of beautiful amplifiers here! I enjoy seeing them tremendously. Here's my new NAD C 275BEE. I'm still trying to get a handle on the sound, especially relative to the big Adcom GFA5500 that I had previously. Please excuse the stock picture that I plucked from NAD's web site. It's better than any I could come up with.[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.