Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Naim CD 5XS. Excellent player.

[​IMG]

bluesky likes this.
  2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I've been buying up Denon Universal (CD, DVD, SACD, DVD-A) players whenever I run across them at garage/estate sales and off Craigslist. I own 3 DVD-2900 players, a 3900 and a 5900. Altho old (10-15 years each) they more or less work fine. One needs a butter knife nudge to get the tray open and another will occasionally (1 of 10) not read a cd. I also own a lower end Pioneer Elite universal player as a backup, a couple of OPPO Blu Ray machines for the HT systems, and an Adcom 5 disc player for wifey.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have quite a few CD-Video's/CD+G (Dire Straits, Level 42 etc...) My thrift had a JVC XLSV22 for 30 bucks, nice shape so I grabbed it, No clue what DAC this puppy uses, Quite shocked though at the SQ a JVC can output...
    [​IMG]

56GoldTop likes this.
  4. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I have two Sony 333esD cd players. I bought them used in China, they are 100 volt units made for Japan, so I use a voltage regulator. I think they sound excellent and have the best drawer I have ever seen on a cd player, all metal with fantastic opening and closing authority. It will start to play cds within 2 seconds of power on.

[​IMG]

5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Cool choo choo.

LA2019 likes this.
  6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Line Magnetic LM 515CD and Luxman D-N10

BilboAlaska, PhilBiker, mwb and 2 others like this.
  7. dxer2_2000

dxer2_2000 New Member

Hi Guys

New Australian member to the forum.

My CD deck is this rather rare Micromega Professional Solo-R. Pity this forum won't allow attached pics to show it (& no I ain't gonna sign up to yet another website just to post pics). Googling this model will provide almost no info on the web. I do have the Electronics Australia magazine review of this unit (Sept 1992) & have the colour brochure.

Scored the unit in Mint condition via Ebay but did require some repair to the laser assembly area but well worth it.

Scored an old Carver CDR-10 to salvage parts & have the Philips CDM-14 laser pickup as a spare.

Chooke likes this.
  8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I remember this one, Denon did a superb job re-engineering the Panasonic DVD-A110. Happy listening.

9. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I think your are mistaken. My Denon DCD3000 is a CD player, not a DVD player and pre-dates the Panasonic DVD-A110 by at least 2 or 3 years!!

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

My first was an early Magnavox circa 1986 or so. I worked at a stereo store at the time and it was brought in for repairs but never picked up. I loved it.

My current is a Marantz SA8004 purchased from a forum member for a great price. Love it! Killer warm, open sound and plays SACD

My favorite is the Sony XA20ES that I picked up in 2000. It's the one that has the metal weight you put on top of the cd. Makes you feel like you're playing an album. Unbelievably sturdy. I never use it anymore but I still like having it around.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm an extreme cheapskate, get most of my audio gear at thrift shops and yard sales. Back in 2004 I bought three low-end SACD capable DVD players. Two from Sony @ about $130, another from Pioneer that's also DVD-A capable, same price. Since then I managed to find both Blu-Ray players and AVRs, 2 @ $50 each, 2 @ $30 each. These came out from 2007 to 2009. I'm getting the best results these days by using the DACs built into the receivers.

One of the Blu-Ray machines is a 2007 Sony machine, priced originally in the middle of their pack, around $300. The other Blu-Ray machine is a Samsung, was considerably cheaper than the Sony when it first appeared during the time prices of Blu-Ray players were falling off a cliff down to their current average of $100. One AVR is an Onkyo, 2008, the other a Yamaha from around the same time. The Yahama doesn't have HDMI, I use it in a 2.0 system. It does have both coax and optical inputs for digital audio and converters that sound a tiny bit better than those onboard the Samsung. The Sony and Onkyo combo is hooked up via HDMI, the difference in sound quality between Sony's DAC and the one in the Onkyo AVR is more pronounced. Difference in loading time between the two machines is mammoth. It takes something like three minutes for the Sony to load a Blu-Ray, two minutes to load a CD. With the Samsung, load up a CD, the player is ready within a few seconds of closing the tray.

I've had systems in the past where I'd be using any number of different DACs. I was doing some pro audio 20 years ago. I guess a lot of differences in sound I was hearing in the 1990's had a lot to do with different analog OP amps [or maybe even not] that have different 'sounds'. The t.c. electronics m2000 effects box had a better sound DAC than the supposedly "high-end" DACs you would find in audio boutiques back then. Power supplies doubtless have a big impact on the sound. What I'm hearing now, with home theater gear, sounds a lot more focused and refined than what I was hearing from any number of different, awful, CD players from the late 1980's through the middle of the 2000's. There's a lot more "There" there on modern gear, better reproduction of individual voices within an orchestra, better imaging, more sense of 'body', better reproduction of reverb tails. I still have and use the 2004 Sony machines for SACD, have to use the DACs built into these semi-universal players, nt as good sounding for CDs but pretty close for SACDs. And I have a surround system that makes it all worthwhile. It would be good to have a list of CDs that have mixes that can be decoded into surround, have run across a few.

I have no doubt that if I were to hear the current top of the line Digital gear, like the dCS stacks, I'd be blown away. As it is, I'm listening to more CDs than LPs these days.

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Sorry my mistake.

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I found one in perfect working order last month. Someone put it out on the curb for the garbageman.

jfeldt likes this.
  14. mindblanking

Great score. Did it include the puck?

15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Puck, remote, cables all neatly wrapped sitting on the sidewalk. It's a nice addition to my Lafayette LR-9090 receiver which I also found on the sidewalk walking home one morning!

clhboa likes this.
  16. mindblanking

Cool. Nice neighborhood!

17. mindblanking

Actually I'm from Brooklyn. Midwood area

18. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

exactly the sort of easy swagger of quality and reliability that SONY had built their once-illustrious name upon.

once upon a time, one could be assured that, so far as Japanese CE products were concerned,
    SONY was the best of the best, and one needn't look further for a top-quality CE product.

then the 90's came along, and, like some peerlessly seductive golddigger of a lover,
    SONY up and took an about face and utterly shafted the vast and vastly loyal customer base it had once tried so hard to earn.

it's sad really. today, precious few examples of such easy virtuous strength of corporate character remain,
    often shunned and despised by the Audiophile Elite, then and now.

and one day, sooner rather than later, there will be a world where very few, if any, will even remember a time
    when such product was ever offered to anyone outside of the worlds most well-heeled coterie of Audio Snobs...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  19. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

19" Sansui tube television WITH built in DVD player.

Live large my friends.

Daniel Thomas and PhilBiker like this.
  20. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Wow, people have had so many CD players.

I bought my Marantz CD75 Mk II in the late 80s and never changed it!

The drawer needs a little help coming out at first these days but otherwise I'm still very happy with it and dread having to replace it after all these years as I'm so used to it.

c-eling likes this.
  21. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

get your players' transport mechanism re-lubricated; i all but guarantee that that will fix your issue.

it might -MIGHT- also need a new tray drive belt, but in my experience, a fresh lube job
    instantly fixes 90% or more of the common issues with aging tray-type optical disc players.

again, get your player re-lubed, even if you have to pay a professional. to do the work for you.
    i cannot emphasize the importance of this enough.
    such maintenance should see your CDP operating like brand new all over again...

luckyno13 likes this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I love the sound of my CD/SACD-Player. Very transparent and detailed, but without any harshness. Sounds smooth and very analogue like. I also like the feature of different filters. Never heard a better player in this price range.

[​IMG]

sample picture of the bottom.
    [​IMG]

LA2019, 56GoldTop, Shiver and 2 others like this.
  23. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I think I need advice on upgrading. I have a very cheap Philips DVD player that sounds crap but I hooked up a Schiit DAC so the Philips is just the transport. Still crap. I thought maybe using the external DAC would improve things but I had an old Integra CD player recently that sounded really good but I was just passing it on to a friend. So not sure what route to go. I'm mainly vinyl with a CD player just for those long uninterrupted (ie not getting up and flipping the record) times like Vivaldi on a Sunday morning or mix CDs for party's.

24. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

This was my first player, a second generation Magnavox. An excellent machine that I used for many years until it began skipping on a consistent basis:
    [​IMG]

I had a couple of Sony Discmans too, and other brands of portable players. There's probably at least four in the house.

When the Magnvox conked out, I replaced it with a Pioneer changer that had a single slot next to the jukebox-like mechanism. This lasted about 3 years before it bit the dust. It just completely quit working one day.

The Pioneer was replaced with a Sony 200 disc changer which I still have in the basement set up:
    [​IMG]
    This guy works pretty well if the discs don't fall out of the carousel when it spins. For this reason, I only use CD-R copies in it.

When I wanted to buy "just a CD player" I couldn't find anything in stores that wasn't also a DVD player, so I went to a guitar store and bought a DJ model. I believe this is a close approximation:
    [​IMG]
    It lasted quite a long time before it bit the dust and gave way to my current CD player of choice:[​IMG]
    Yes, I like the Numark players!

Thanks to my BFF, I also have a Carver 10 disc changer. It is similar to this:
    [​IMG]

It sounds really great, but I rarely use it because the magazine mechanism is very clunky and I've dropped discs to the floor trying to load it. Wish it had a single drawer in addition to the changer part - I'd use it a lot more.

56GoldTop likes this.
  25. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

$8 at the thrift a few days ago. I wasn't in the market for a CD player by any means; but, how could I not? I'm running it as a transport, only. It's not half bad.

Adcom GCD-575

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.