Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

You did well!

2. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Thanks. Every once in a while luck smiles on me.

As an aside: I really like the "feet" feature. 4 footers are installed at the factory; but, you can remove one of the back footers, move and reinstall the other one in the middle. Then you can flip the two in front and the one in the back over as the other side has "iso points". That's pretty cool. I just did that this evening.

3. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I bought a cheap stereo system by Siemens in 1990 with the money from a summer job. I don't know what model the CD player was, very basic. Just a green 4 digit display for time, belt driven tray (I guess, it made noises and did not come out smoothly later). My sister got a Philips CD player a little later that had the whole motor, lens and all inside the tray. Btw. this CD player still works perfectly 25 years later, I guess it's immortal.

I than had a Sony, a Pioneer PD S505 (with the platter-like tray), a Denon DCD510AE (?) and now the Onkyo C-7030.

All more or less cheap entry level drives by audiophile standards I guess. I replaced them with each other for various reasons, but except the old Siemens no CD player ever died on me, they all still work and I still use them occasionally.

c-eling likes this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe someone can help me discover what my first CD player was? It was a Philips and once you programmed in a playlist it could remember it for the next time you played it (all you needed was to know the program number), in those days some CD's had tracks broken into index part 1, 2 etc and it recognised those indexes. I got it second hand in the early 1990's and it was stolen from me in 1993/4 and for the life of me I don't know the model. I remember a blue strip on the remote and I think this was also on the player. The display looked something like the picture below but I seem to remember the player being slimmer and more stylish. Anyone???

[​IMG]

mdm08033 likes this.
  5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

My first cd player was a Marantz 75 se. Tolerated it. It was actually very good, i tried it recently from the person i sold it to. I used it in a naim/Epos system(nac42/140. This was a mistake, as the pre totally overwhelmed or o/loaded. When i switched to valve equipment things changed very much for the better.
    My 2nd was a Naim 3 or 3.5 . It was purchased in 90,s,
    3rd was an Audio-note An cd2. First one i could really say i liked. Alas the torodial transformer burned outlast week. Still waiting for news of s nee torodial.
    4th was a Nakimichi CD Player 2. This is an old 1991 model, which is better than Audionote and compares to Naim cdI i heard years ago and is the best player i have heard to date.

6. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

1986/1987 PD-M70. functionally identical to ELITE PD-M90X, less COAXIAL digital output and ELITE cosmetic fascia.

((note that Japanese market PD-M70 includes COAXIAL digital output identical to U.S. PD-M90X))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CD-880, the most attractive looking CDP PHILIPS ever made, IMO anyway...

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Doc Diego and PhilBiker like this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Edit:
    Back to the thrift for a refund, while the sound is stunning, For some reason I forgot CD-Video and Video-CD are two very different 'book' standards, I'd keep it for the cd player part but it does not do pre-emphasis, SUB or TOC, back to the Onkyo 7030

9. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Just purchased Nakimichi cd player2. Awesome sound. Drawer needs a slight nudge to open. Purchased 3 new belts on ebay, 5 screws, 6 connectors later see,s the mechanism on the bench. Took a couple of hours, but success, all lubed, cleaned . Incidentally the drawer belt was ok, but the very small belt that loads disc was not winding back fully ( nackered belt) causing drawer to foul on loading mechanism.

Chooke likes this.
  10. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

detail shots of my own PD-M90X;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

56GoldTop likes this.
  11. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LA2019 likes this.
  12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I have three nice CD players in storage:
    1. Sony XA3 ES
    2. Pioneer PD 65
    3. Adcom GCD-575

BigGame, Chooke and PH416156 like this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Those 90s "stable platter" Pioneer players were amazing

14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I like the Pioneer a lot. It has a nice smooth sound for digital. But DACs have progressed a lot since it came out. I'm considering selling it and the Adcom and keeping just the Sony. Aside from these CD-only disc spinners I also have Sony DVP-S9000ES and a BDP5000ES Blu-ray player that also play CDs. That's a lot of capable players considering I don't even use CD playback in my system right now.

Thinking I could free up some cash by thinning this herd and put the funds into a Schitt Bifrost..

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I hear you, but add a nice DAC to it and you have a nice unit that's going to last for a loong time. At least as a transport, the Pioneer can still be used.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Emotiva has remembered the lessons of old - that a CD player can't be taken seriously without cursive writing across the front.

[​IMG]

Shiver, Donniej, Solitaire1 and 3 others like this.
  17. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

The DACs in the Pioneers were quite good. They were 16bit converters with oversampling. The main difference between them and current DACs is, IIRC, is that they had analogue rather than digital filters. It could be perception bias, but to me the analogue filter seems to work better with early CDs that have pre-emphasis.

The other point to consider, depending on the model, they had digital out sockets so you could easily by-pass the internal DAC for an external.

These players were ahead of their time. I remember when I bought mine, we were puzzled what the digital out would be used for.

PH416156 and Shiver like this.
  18. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

What was the sub-code output for? Back in 87, it was a while before I understood the purpose of digital out but I never did look into the sub-code function.

19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I also have a Yamaha CDC-655 Carousel player. I purchased it new in 1996 to replace the Pioneer components after they were stolen. I played it through what was then the top of the range Yamaha CX-1 pre-amp and MX-1 mono blocks. It sounded very good, smooth and very neutral. I totally forgot about this player which is sitting somewhere in the store room.
    http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/archive_1_14/Sold_1_14_htm/YamahaCDC-655.htm

20. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

future interactive CD-I/CDV/CD-G type functions that either never really got off the drawing board,
    or were eventually realized in ways that did not end up requiring utilization of special connections such as the never implemented SUB CODE DIN
    that so many 80's CDPs had pointlessly included in their design up until about 1989 or so...

Chooke likes this.
  21. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have a Rotel RCD971 that was souped up by RAM several years ago. Still works great but mostly listen to Olive 04HD.

22. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Pulled out my Technics DVD-A10 player. I show it the light of day every so often to play a DVD-Audio disc. This machine is a little tank and built like the proverbial brick s!@t -house.

The glowing blue light gives it a cool funky kinda vibe. It 's the cherry on top of the whipped cream!:edthumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My current CD player is a Harmon Kardon HD7400.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/harman-kardon/hd7400.shtml

I picked it up used very cheap and it seems to work very well. That said I've not compared it to a more contemporary unit with better D/A conversion. At some point in the new year I may give a newer CD player a shot. I've heard good things about the Onkyo C-7030, for example. Even if I do get a newer unit, I'm not parting with the HK.

c-eling likes this.
  24. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member

I couldn't agree more. The best of all worlds really, I have no problem with the wonderful sound quality of the medium. Downloads have no hard copy, and I bought all my vinyl when folks dumped it for CD, recently sold 2/3rds of the collection and now only buy CDs and SACDs. The fun of vinyl fades after a lot of listening when the shortcomings of the medium are revealed.

Daniel Thomas and LA2019 like this.
  25. Do you have difficulties finding DVD - A discs? As far as the selection is concerned. My issue seems to be a very small 2 channel catalogue . Please let me know what you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.