Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

jh901,

The server is a Naim NDS (I get to recycle the separate power supply from the CD555). The NDS server has a built in DAC. I cannot use the CD555 unless I switch the analogue output interconnects and also switch the two separate power lines (burndy connectors) from the power supply. I also don't have room in my equipment rack to use both the CD player and the server at the same time.

Because I can change the sound of my speakers (separate controls of midrange and tweeter), I can make both the CD555 and the NDS server sound VERY good. However, the CD555 has the advantage of being a bit closer in sound to my vinyl setup so that, if I stayed with the CD555, I would not have either a compromise in sound or the inconvenience of resetting the speaker controls when going back and forth between digital and analogue sources. But, the MUCH easier access to my 4300 + CD collection afforded by the server has won out for me.

jh901 likes this.
  2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

No one has posted a Pioneer P-D70 ?

I always wanted one of those.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, that power supply can't be helping the NDS too much, so if you want to save some more room, then I'll gladly rent the CD-555 and the power supply from you. You're welcome.

;)

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I definitely relate to your point about weak links. My speakers, I believe, are rather unforgiving to weak links. The upside to that is that upgrades pay off with tremendous leaps in sound quality. You've got a great unit there. I don't buy into the notion that the age of 5 years is a concern with hi-end digital. The overall power supply design for the player and the analog output design, where a great deal of the sound quality is derived, won't be left behind so fast. My player and yours were released in the same time frame as it happens. I'll upgrade in a couple years, but I'm going to have extreme expectations while paying less. Well, that's my plan anyhow!

Erik A. flickinger, bruce2 and BSC like this.
  5. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Oppo 103 connected to McIntosh 4275 receiver and Ohm tower speakers and to a Samsung smart TV. Replaced an old Pioneer that couldn't read hybrid SACDs. I couldn't be happier.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask what the main differences between an Oppo 103 and 105?

7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The Oppo 105 was optimised for stereo playback....

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, I am wondering how big the difference is and if I'd hear it on my setup (in my profile), especially since the 105 is more than twice the cost of the 103.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

According to Oppo:

The OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 share the same primary components (including the mainboard, laser, and loader) for superb audio and video playback, and while the BDP-103 and BDP-105 are identical in performance when it comes to audio and video over HDMI, the BDP-105 offers a number of enhancements:
    1. The BDP-105 features improved sound quality from its analog audio outputs with its implementation of dual 32-bit ESS Technology digital-to-analog converters, a toroidal power supply, and two sets of dedicated stereo analog outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA) for 2-channel enthusiasts. Customers who do a great deal of critical music listening using a very high end, analog connected system will benefit most from these additions.
    2. The BDP-105 features a headphone amplifier for use with high-quality headphones.
    3. The BDP-105 features three additional digital audio inputs: optical, coaxial, and a 2-channel asynchronous USB DAC input.
    Furthermore, the BDP-105 is graced with additional aesthetic and ergonomic enhancements that include a larger 4.8 inch tall chassis, sculpted aluminum front panel, touch sensitive front-panel playback controls, availability of an optional rack mount kit, and availability in Black or Silver.

Dino and Steel Horse like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks.

The first point is the only one that really applies to me. I am guessing that my setup is not very high end and therefore the 103 would be the better choice for me, but wanted to ask here.

11. I have a really old H/K DVD47 that plays CD/DVD/SACD. I'm about to add a Geek Pulse DAC to it later today.

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You're on the right track. It is imperative to recognize (accept, appreciate, etc) that entry level speakers and amplification paired with a high performance front end is not going to allow the front end a chance to show what it can do. Pairing the CD-555 or the Esoteric mentioned up thread, for example, with entry level amplification and speakers will not deliver a result which can justify the price.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  13. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I have a Sony DVP NS 900V [​IMG]
    bought new in 2003, sounds quite good to me, I know I could do better but I don't know at what price.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

The 103 sounds very nice.

George P likes this.
  15. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

My first CD player was an ARCAM Alpha 5. It gave me lots of hours of enjoyment. Even though I've upgraded since I bought it, I still love its sound.

[​IMG]

My second CD player was a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C. I was never completely happy with this one since I found it too analytical. Furthermore, it broke down a few times, so I'm not very fond of this brand.

[​IMG]

My current player is a Marantz SACD SA-KI Pearl Lite and I'm very happy with it. I can feed its DAC my files too, but surprisingly it doesn't decode 88.2 KHz, 192 KHz or DSD, which is why I decided to buy a separate DAC, a Teac UD-501, which I don't think I'll upgrade soon (not a lot of money to spend on music these days)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been converting my CDs, DVD-As... to FLAC (still a long way to go), and purchasing hi-rez downloads, so I don't think I'll buy another CD (or SACD) player if my current machine breaks down. I'll keep my present physical collection, but my wife is happy because hard drives take less space than actual CDs :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    PhilBiker likes this.
  16. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

My First CD player: Sony D-700 CD bought in 1986 to play my vast CD collection at the time that consisted of Paul McCartney's new CD release of 'Press To Play'....

Then onto:
    Philips CD850 mkII
    to
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    to
    Marantz CD17 KI Signature
    to
    Musical Fidelity A5
    to
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    to
    Musical Fidelity kW DM25 transport & DAC (Current Set-up).....but now playing discs from a collection that's grow quite a bit since the Sony....(circa 2,800 and counting)

17. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

My primary player is the Sony AVD-C700ES. It's my jack-of-all-trades, as I use it to play CDs, SACDs, and even the occasional DVD. It works as my receiver for my TT (albeit through a preamp) as well. It has a rich and detailed, yet warm and inviting sound. I love this little beast.
    [​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. I still have several CD players including, Njoe Tjoeb, 2 Harman Kardon's, Luxman, Pioneer. (don't know why I still have them around?)

My keeper is the Anthem (Sonic Frontiers) CD-1 with an Amperex 7308 buffer/output stage, Jupiter Copper Foil and Teflon V-Caps, plus other goodies under the hood. She sings and is head and shoulders better in stock form than anything else I have ever owned. With the modifications, she is in a different class altogether. This is a rock solid CD player and built like a tank, but I bought a spare just in case. I like it that much, especially for the price.

[​IMG]

19. Josiah

Josiah New Member

I have an absolutely basic Cambridge Audio Topaz CD5. Does everything I want it to do and I love the sound! I've never had the chance to listen to anything fancier so to me it sounds excellent! It does, however, take about 15 seconds to load each cd and has done since it was new!

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It dead. It died dead.

Sailfree likes this.
  21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Your system appears to be fine. If, as it seems, your listening preferences are stereo CD and files, you might consider a standalone DAC instead of a new CD player, much less an Oppo. Unless you want to add SACD or Bluray capability. Assuming your Denon player isn't too old (lasers fail after a while), there is more bang-for-buck in a DAC. Scary-good DACs can be had in the $100-500 range.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Started with a Sony CDP101 back in 1984. It was…almost okay, but not really. As soon as I could, I replaced it with an NAD, which was a little bit more than almost okay, but not enough. I only had it for a few months and can't recall the model # - that's just how little impact it had. And then I got the love of my life; the Arcam DELTA 170 - bitstream with an outboard DAC Black Box. It was awesome for about thirty years, until it finally died on me. Now I have an Oppo BDP105D (silver finish); I also rate this one as awesome.

23. Peter Xuereb

Peter Xuereb New Member

I Currently use a Sony DVD player as my CD player. I do however own a Pioneer PD-7700 stable platter player that needs repair as I accidentally dropped it after I had moved house. The lights are on but the player won't work. I've been debating the cost factor and need but I can't bring myself to toss it out as I love this machine and would dearly love to have it working again. [​IMG]

24. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

PS3 and PS4

Eventually I'll probably look further into cd player upgrades. But for now these systems sound great to my ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.