Tell me about your Gyrodec turntable.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not many turntables are in production after 30 years Michell Gyrodec is one of them.

For many years I use to see them & used to think perhaps it was a style over substance exercise . How wrong I was!!!!

I foolishly passed over the chance to buy one in 1990 . I had the chance to buy either a Pink Triangle, Linn LP12 (it was affordable back then, Gyrodec or a Roksan XerXes . I went for the Roksan. It was superb.

7 years later the power supply died on me & it could not be repaired??? a replacement power supply was £300!!! Outrageous . For a year I didn't use vinyl , then I bought a Dual 505 Deluxe to tie me over. I eventually part exchanged the Roksan for a MC Cartridge at KJ Leisuresound & bought my mates Gyrodec for £300 in 2000 . Back then new vinyl was very hard to get hold of & was not considered cool or retro.

14 years later I have put a Tecnoweight on Rega RB300, new bearing, belt, Ortofon 2m Blue & Martin Bastin AC Power supply. A different tonearm might be an improvement but I am so happy I will leave it for time being.

Please tell me about your Gyrodec & what arm, cartridge etc

Thanks

GyroSE likes this.
  2. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I purchased my Gyro around 1985-86 at a "police auction" which was being conducted primarily to sell stolen bicycles. Paid $200 for it at that time (or the equivalent of about 100 GBP) and it came with a Sumiko MMT arm and a Koetsu Black. So not a bad deal ;).

It is serial # 543, so probably dates into the very early 80's when Michell initiated production. It was actually a Mk 0 as it came with soft feet, which I replaced immediately when I bought it, along with having to buy the basic power supply for it.

I changed the arm on it to a Sumiko FT-3 in the early 90's, then changed out the cartridge to an Ortofon MC 20 Super in the mid 90's after wearing out the Koetsu. I also replaced the dust cover with a custom smoked black dustcover (my Gyro is not an SE and has a black acrylic plinth) around that time as well as the original dustcover was looking a bit ratty.

My interest in analog waned between the mid 90's and about 2002 but at that time I came back to analog with a vengeance after purchasing an RCM and getting into wet cleaning vinyl. I then upgraded the table, changing to the current suspension posts, composite platter, delrin clamp and newer inverted bearing. Michell is to be commended for making improvements to the design over the years and not gouging (generally) with respect to the costs of those improvements and the modular nature of the Gyro makes it very easy to update the table.

I am still running the original Papst AC motor, which is approaching 35 years at this stage. With the exception of a couple of drops of oil into the motor every 6 months or so, it has never been serviced. I have, of course, gone through a few belts over the years. I run the Gyro off a variac, manually dropping voltage to about 62 after startup (think of it as a poor man's VPI SDS or Linn Lingo :D).

About 6-7 years ago I switched to a Jelco 750D tonearm, and I currently run a heavily modified Denon 103R on the Jelco-the Denon has been transplanted into an ebony body (I also have one in aluminum) where it has been potted with epoxy by Peter Ledermaan at Soundsmith and retipped with his top of the line OCL line contact stylus and ruby cantilever. I also purchased an Aqvox phono stage 6-7 years ago.

At this stage I'm pretty content with my analog front end with the exception of changing out/experimenting with cartridges every few years.

The Gyro is a very good table and you need to spend a considerable amount of money to better it IMO. Plus it's a pretty fine looking turntable as well.

Tommyboy and GyroSE like this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I bought my Gyrodec SE in 2000, with a Rega RB600 & a Dynavector 10X4.

Latter I added the Michell Technoweight, VTA adjuster, and finger nut. I'm currently using a Zu Audio modified Denon DL-103. The Zu/Denon required shorter arm board spacers, so the Michell decoupled spacers are in the closet. I'm not sure that I cared for the decoupled arm spacers in my system. I'm also using a Mpingo cartridge spacer/damper between the arm & cartridge. This really helps with the Zu/Denon being so short with Rega arms.

Big bang for the buck improvemnt in my system, was replacing the felt washer for the clamp with a size #109 O-ring. It's much easier to use than the felt washer, and sounds better on my system. YMMV.

4. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Enjoying reading the replies already.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My Gyro SE dates from around 1999, or maybe a little later, it came with a RB-250 which was soon replaced by a RB-600, the motor was soon switched for a DC one and as soon as the HR was announced I ordered one, mine's serial number 10, other than that the only changes are new belts, oh and I added a Unicover when they came out. I have been meaning to get an Orbe spindle on it for years, I already have an Orbe clamp and the idea of the Orbe double spider has also become quite appealing, that's if I can work out the motor height issue. I'm not really interested in changing any other parts, I think the Gyro looks right with the Gyro platter rather than the Orbe and that they are two separate and distinct decks with the Gyro being prettier, one day I will upgrade the arm on my Orbe and put the Technoarm on the Gyro, I think that and the Orbe spindle kit will be the end point for my Gyro's evolution, unless I find a couple of SME IVs/Vs very, very cheaply. I've tried a few carts on the Gyro, Ortofon MC3000, Van den Hul MC 2, Supex 900, etc., these days it mounts an Ortofon OM body and generally an OM10 stylus as I mainly use it for playing Ska Reggae and Soul 7"s, it is more than capable of doing justice to high end MCs, but also sounds great with much cheaper MMs. I also came to the Gyro from a Roksan Xerxes which developed some issues, although I used an Ariston RD90 in between, funnily enough back in the 1980s I would have chosen both the Roksan and the Pink Triangle over the early Gyrodec, I may even have chosen an LP12, I did get to listen extensively to all four so I guess that the process of continuing to improve the Michell over the last three decades has really paid dividends. I wonder if anyone has a stock mid-eighties Gyrodec to compare to a current spec one with HR etc., that would be a very interesting head to head, I know that every change I made to mine was an improvement, but just how different the two decks would be is an interesting question.

GyroSE likes this.
  6. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I purchased my Gyro SE about 9 years ago along with the VC power supply. I went with a Origin Live Encounter Mk2 tonearm and a Shelter 7000 cartridge. Currently mulling over a tonearm switch - short list candidates: a OL Conqueror & Moerch PD8 and keeping the Shelter. I love this table every night and am glad it replaced my Linn. Much more satisfying to these ears. Funny thing is my cat would leave the room with the Linn but now plants herself on my lap and listens every evening. I guess that might passes for an endorsement.

7. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Gyro SE from 2000 with HR power supply. I'm in the middle of upgrading to a Funk FXR arm from an Origin Live modded Incognito wired RB 300. Unfortunately I managed to break the cantilever on my 20x2H while taking the TT etc to Brady's (thank heaven for insurance and sod stylus guards) so I'm going for the 20x2L as I have a Dino plus the power supply. I am perfectly satisfied with the 20x2 and this will be my third one. I was totally gobsmacked by the difference between the FXR and the RB300. Arthur W is truly a genius. I have read that it can be a bit too lifelike (?) but I find it just perfect.
    Just a word of commendation for Bradys, my dealer. They've lent me a brand new Denon DL 103 REM while the 20x2L is on order and they're getting a new arm board to suit the FXR from Michell gratis. If there is a better hifi dealer in the world I'd like to meet them.

8. David Ellis

You should put the Funk FXR on your auditioning list.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Are you getting a new arm board because there is a difference in weight between the RB-300 and FXR, or is it because the FXR uses three point mounting?

10. David Ellis

Because of the three point mounting. Andrew didn't want to drill the existing armboard. He said if your selling the RB300 the Gyro board will help as it'll be a very easy fix and the one they lent me is black so he said he'd get a new one at no cost. I also got a good discount on the FXR and an extra discount over the normal exchange on the 20x2L. No complaints from me.

Dubmart likes this.
  11. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Here is a GyroDec SE owner in Sweden. I purchased mine in 2008 combined with a RB300 tonearm, the cartridge I had at that time was a Rega Exact. I soon upgraded to the Michell TechnoArm and very soon after that I also got the HR PSU. Two years ago I got a good deal when buying a SME IV and at the same time I purchased a Benz Micro Wood SM cartridge, that combination is a match made in heaven together with the Gyro. I also have the Gert Pedersen Armboard upgrade kit, a very affordable upgrade that improved the sound a lot.

The most recent upgrade is the Orbe clamp upgrade kit that I bought earlier this year. Like Dubmart I will let my Gyro SE remain being a Gyro SE, I will not go for the Orbe platter kit since I like both the sound and the looks of the GyroDec SE combined with the Gyro platter.

I am very happy with my Gyro SE, it's a perfect platform for trying different tonearms and cartridges. I was very happy with it back when I had the RB300 and I am very happy now with the SME IV mounted on it. I think it is a very affordable turntable that gives the owner a lot of possible upgrade paths.

David Ellis and Dubmart like this.
  12. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Actually, should have put the Schroeder DPS on the list.

13. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

I have my Gyro SE +- 10 years it replaced a Mitchell hydrolic refeference ,(i still have the hydrolic reference with a mono catridge in it:)),
    Imho two of most fashionable turntables ever made.
    I have made made two upgrades to te Gyro Se first the power supply , second i have replaced
    the Rega tonearm by the SME 309.
    I think it is a very affordabble turntable whith many upgrades possible .
    I 'm very happy with this combination turntable/tonearm.
    And it looks and sound amazing.
    ( sorry guy's my english is not that well).

14. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Hi: You have me curious on this one. Could you describe the improvement that you felt (no pun intended) you got by moving to the O-ring.

Not that it would be expensive for me to try out! :laugh:

audiofool likes this.
  15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Let me start with it being easier to use first.
    It seems like I don't have to use as much physical downforce to get the clamp into proper position, this is especially noticeable on 180-200 gram LP's. I know that some folks don't use the felt washer on the heavier LP, but I can leave the O-ring on for all LP's. The O-ring has a smaller outside diameter than the felt washer, which I think puts less stress on the vinyl but still presses it flat to the platter.

To me, LP's have a cleaner sound with the O-ring compared to the felt washer. The highs sound smoother, more extended. This may be cartridge, arm, or system dependant. It could be just me, too!

I tried different sized O-rings, and the #109 seemed to work best with a variety of different weight LP's. (#109 is the international size, so you can find this anywhere in the world, but you might have trouble finding that particular size at your local hardware store. I bought mine from Amazon.)

As you said, it's cheap enough to try it! If you do try it, let us know how it worked on your set up!

Jeff

16. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Thanks. Will give it a try at some point and report back!

33na3rd likes this.
  17. David Ellis

Fair comment but I'd not heard of it and now I see its twice the price of the FXR and doesn't appear to be available in the UK.:)

18. David Ellis

I've got to try this. Basically is it just a rubber washer?

19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes!

It performs the same function as the felt washer.

20. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

My Gyrodec is serial #4, and I'm its second owner. It was originally purchased with a Fidelity Research FR-64fx arm that had been fitted with an ADC magnesium headshell.

Since I bought it oh-so-many-years ago (I must have got it around 1994 perhaps?) I have added new upgraded springs and moved over to the DC motor and power supply. The arm is the same but now has a Nagoka headshell. The mat is no longer the rubber one, but a metal one from TT Weights, and the clamp is now a weight from TT Weights.

I'm using a Dynavector 17D2 cartridge.

The Gyrodec survived a move from the UK to Canada with me, and still works well, although it doesn't get used too much at the moment.

21. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

These arms are hand-made by a fellow in Berlin and in some circles considered the best arm on the market (of course everyone says that about different arms( I've heard the three arms I mentioned, Audio Origa, Ortofon and many more(haven't heard the FXR though) and these are giant killers. The Shroeder and Moerch show amazing bottom-end and the OL is no slouch. I surprised the Shroeder is not appearing in the UK as this has become a preferred arm on 30!/401's & TD 124's in it's transcription length.

22. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Stopped in at my plumber's today and he allowed me into the infamous O-ring grab box :D.

I took 2, one a bit smaller in diameter than the felt washer, and another that I figured was about the same diameter as the felt washer, which it is.

The smaller diameter O-ring I got is about 5/8" and is also slightly thicker than the larger one I picked up. It got along fine with normal records but, like the felt washer, was pretty much a no go with 180-200 gram vinyl.

So I settled on the larger and thinner O-ring and attached it using double sided scotch tape. It protrudes about 3 mm above the non-recessed section of the platter.

I have to say that initial impressions are very favourable. I was concerned that increased clarity and extension in the high end might be accompanied by a hardening up and thinning of the sound (which happens with a lot of tweaks) but that does not appear to be the case. In other words, you can tweak and sometimes get a "different" sound but not necessarily a better one.

I'd say there is a slight general increase in clarity and focus across the board, slightly better separation of instruments in busy passages, slightly improved intelligibility with vocals-with no real downside. Maybe more noticeable with some of my 180-200 gram stuff as (I'm guessing here) I think I'm making generally better contact with the platter now by using the O-ring as opposed to nothing. But definitely noticeable on regular vinyl as well.

So thanks for posting that Jeff-much appreciated. I like it :cool:.

It's what a great tweak is all about. Cheap-and reversible if you don't like the results. But I don't think I'll be reversing this one.

23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm glad you liked it!
    If you can get a hold of a #109, you can ditch the tape!
    When I first attempted this, I used generic o-rings that I had in the shop. I was pleased with the results, so I did some research on o-ring sizes and ordered a couple of different sizes. The #109 was the winner, and requires no centering around the spindle!

Thanks for the report!

24. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Excellent. I will indeed seek out a #109.

Thanks again for posting about this-much appreciated!

25. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Sorry. I picked this up a little late and could not see where this started. Are you using an o-ring instead of the Michel clamp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.