Tell me about your hifi improvement tweak or tip.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have gotten dramatic improvement from my Fisher 400 after installing a modest Monster Power Center (which I got for a mere $40 used)... it completely eliminated all hum, it only hisses when the volume is literally dimed, and the sound has noticeably perked up and become more "precise."

No joke. I hoping for only a reduction in background noise and was not expecting all of the other benefits.

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

My latest improvement will be installing a new Rega/Moth 202 arm on my old Dual 502 table. The arm arrives tomorrow, Friday. It should be a great improvement over the stock Dual arm(s) of which I've never really been a fan. Proper hole and distance already drilled and the plinth repainted a textured dark gray finish. Platter spindle bearing and housing are still in great shape as is the high torque motor.

The FRiNgE and The Good Guy like this.
  3. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

You cant do much better than to follow 90s gurus Jimmy Hughes and Peter Belt
    Wear your watch back to front
    Drink only ionised water
    Take your shoes off for a session
    Remove all other transducers from the room
    Face your speakers to the walls
    Apply foil and Pentel marking to your devices and cds
    And most important
    Forget Ohms Law

4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I found a couple IBM brand monitor stands at the thrift store for a couple bucks apiece. I did a test comparing the monitor stand to a maple butcher block when used to get my amps off the ground. No difference in sound, big difference in price.

Chad
    [​IMG]

jfeldt and Jim T like this.
  5. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

6. attym

attym Forum Resident

Not really ground breaking, but playing with tracking force and RCA cables made big differences in my system (sometimes just different, not always better)

Jim T likes this.
  7. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jimmy Hughes now has a woman

8. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Years ago, in a Hi Fi magazine, a reader wrote in saying he had greatly improved the acoustics of his listening room (which contained a large amount of books) by placing one small sheet of paper between any two pages of every single book!
    I swear I am not making this up.

honestabe316 likes this.
  9. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

when it sounds good..step away and leave it alone.. just listen to the music

bluesky likes this.
  10. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

If your bourbon is too hot...put a couple of ice cubes in to dilute it a little. Otherwise quit worrying about your hifi and enjoy what you have.

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have all my power conditions on these. I also think GIK Bass traps made a significant difference

12. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I just replaced the cobalt emits in my IIIa's with the second best tweeter Infinity ever made, the emit k...this summer I will mod the cabinets because the k is smaller...right now this will have to do...By the way the screws have been covered with little pieces of foam so ignore those..

definitely an upgrade...

[​IMG]

13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Most of these have been mentioned already:
    • Alcohol
    • Room treatment, especially damping first reflections
    • Good, but quiet, listening companion
    • If it ain't broke, don't fit it
    • Unplugging anything that makes noise, e.g., refrigerator. Set a timer, or you'll have trouble!
    • Some kind of tone controls. If your system sounds great on some recordings, it will sound terrible on others. Tonal balance has a lot to do with that.

fogalu likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Three things that a lot of people consider to be "snake oil". A power conditioner, upgraded interconnects ( including phono cables ) and speaker cables.

15. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident

I'll add my vote to this being among the most effective tweaks as well as being the least expensive.

16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

cool!

& yes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it

17. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

- Speaker placement. Speakers need to go where they will bring out the magic of your system, not where they look the best or tucked away in the corner. This issue can cause marital strife or sonic strife. Which one is up to you.
    - Follow manufacturer instructions about separating components from each other, placing gear on solid, level racks, etc.
    - System synergy. Do your homework to ensure your cartridge mates well with the turntable and/or preamp. That your amp is compatible with your speakers, etc. It's best to use the same brand of interconnects and speaker cords.
    - Clean your records before you play them and keep your stylus clean.
    - If you are not sure how to set something up, especially a cartridge, ask your dealer or someone who does to do it.
    - The quality of the source recording is important, whether it is a vinyl album or a cd or whatever. If it isn't well recorded and pressed, the best system in the world won't make it sound good.

18. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Cut 12" X 12" X 12" triangles of Owens Corning 703 insulation and envelope them with an open weave clothe, with the color of your choice, and suspend them from the corners of your plaster or drywall listening room using those cheap screw in picture hanging hooks and safety pins. This will remove ringing and slap echo. Its important to leave a gap between each surface to be a more effective deterrent to reflective echo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.