Tell me about your Sandwiches sorry I meant speakers!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello There

I was told by someone that my next post would be about asking people about their speakers. Guess what they were right!

Big/Small/old , new , cheap , expensive , box , panel , feel free to write.

I was also told that I could always look up people's profiles but I think it's more fun seeing people enthuse about their gear.

I use B&W 703 speakers. I have had them 11 years . They are fussy regarding positioning but get them right & they deliver.

If you want to talk about your headphones or how you put your sandwiches together feel free!!!

Thanks

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Well I just ate a cucumber, tomato and onion sandwich on whole wheat bread. It was delicious.

As for speakers, I use a pair of Thiel CS1.6s, Meadowlark Audio Kestrels, or Soliloquy 5.0 monitors on their dedicated stands. These speakers are all used in the same room with various amps depending on how I feel.
    The Thiel speakers are a fairly new acquisition which are really working well in my room. I was expecting them to overwhelm me with excessive treble but that's not the case.

Less than two hours ago a nice gentleman picked up a pair of Magnepan MG12s I'd been listening to. I think I'm going to miss them. Maybe a pair of 1.7s are on my horizon.

3. Denis O'Bell

Denis O'Bell New Member

I have a pair of Wharfedale Monitor M-138 tower speakers. Bought them brand new from local shop and they sound fantastic with my vintage marantz amp and technics turntable. Using the Shure M97xe cartridge. Does anyone know anything about these speakers? I can't find a thing about them online, not sure if that's a good thing or not. I think they may be from around 2002. I'm hoping they were actually made in UK and not China/Japan....

4. [​IMG]

Just had a Grilled Cheese and Bacon sandwich with some chips/crisps on the side.

I've had my Genesis G7.1f speakers for 2 years now, but due to various room changes and the addition of acoustic panels it took me up to last spring to get them sounding just right. These speakers are extremely versatile as they can be configured as a regular or dipole speaker by the toggle of a switch on the back. They also have treble and bass adjustment controls, plus a 180w outward firing servo-sub amp in each speaker. They are one of the most balanced and cohesive speakers I have ever heard within their price range.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    shutdown66 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  5. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've had a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci speakers for about 12 years (not my photo). Without traditional enclosures, the sound is unobtrusive and they really seem to love acoustic instruments. Very neutral to me. Also, as part of a 5.1 system, I have the Vandersteen center channel speaker, but the surrounds are DCMs.

Sneaky Pete, jupiterboy and bhazen like this.
  6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

There's leftover pork roast in the fridge for my sandwich today, probably with sliced tomato on gluten-free bread.

I've got 5 pairs of single driver DIY speakers, the largest are Mark Audio A12p drivers in Super Pencil boxes, driven by a variety of tube (valve) amps.

jeff

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Have you considered Sorbothane sandwiches for your speakers?

[​IMG]

This set of sandwiched speakers has been reconfigured without the a/d/s L400e on top:

[​IMG]

8. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Keep those slices of info coming in . Cheese & tomato toasted with rocket & black pepper are a bit good!

9. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I have a "slightly" modified pair of S.A.P. J2001 speakers. The bass cabinet, which is about 2' wide by 2' deep by 3' tall, houses two 12" woofers. The cabinet is a Jensen/Onken bass reflex cabinet. The two bass drivers have paper cones and a pleated paper surround. The midrange and tweeter sit on top of the cabinet in a kind of free-standing arrangement (wooden cradles hold the midrange driver/horn and the tweeter). The tweeter is a Fostex bullet-type tweeter. The midrange that came with the speaker is a compression driver attached to a plastic horn. I replaced the midrange/horn with a Western Electic 713b compression driver and a Western Electric 12025 horn. Because the original horn just sits on top of the cabinet, this replacement was extremely easy. I used a rubber puck and a car spring rubber to support the front of the new (old) horn, and a fishfood can to support the back of the horn near the compression driver. The new horn is exactly the width of the speaker cabinet, so it actually looks more like it was meant for this speaker than the original horn which is smaller in size. The Western Electric horn is slightly more efficient than the original horn, so it is hooked up via a L-pad rheostat which allows for adjustment of midrange level. The speaker also comes with the ability to adjust the tweeter level. The speakers are 99 db/w efficient, so they work reasonably well with my 5 watt and 6.5 watt amps.

The Western Electric 713b driver is something very special. It is particularly good at very low level detail and dynamics (system sounds very alive playing at low volume levels). I am a big fan of the 713 driver, particularly the "b" variant which has a phenolic diaphragm. The "a" and "c" versions use aluminum diaphragms and have a wider bandwidth (they can be used without a tweeter), but, the midrange is not as sweet sounding.

The entire system is, therefore a mix of "modern" and very old vintage parts. Even the modern drivers are based on ancient designs, and the midrange is something that was probably built around 1939.

jupiterboy, dividebytube and hvbias like this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Grilled shrimp, tomato & cheddar sandwich, with shrimp cocktail sauce to dip in - delicious!

Oops, sorry I meant Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary monitors; fantastic, nonfatiguing, natural. Really should give Harbeth and Spendor some cause for concern (i.e. they cost about half what entry-level monitors from those marques go for.)

I should also mention the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2s - at half the price of the Dentons, a screaming deal - and those suckers rock. Probably my first choice if I was putting together a system in the $1k-$1.5k range.

timind likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I use Decware speakers, designed by Steve Deckert and Bob Zeigler and built by Bob Zeigler.

I have two pair or the HR-1 speakers. Just amazing. I'll probably never want other speakers. I use these in the two systems in my home. These incorporate a radial driver with several conventional front firing drivers.
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/HR1.html

I have one pair of ERR speakers in use in the system I keep at my parents' house. Excellent speakers with an unconventional radiation pattern.
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/ERR.html

I'd recommend these in a heartbeat to anyone looking for speakers. Just so so happy with all three pairs.

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

As for sandwiches, I can't even remember when was the last time I had one. Generally, they're too much hassle for me, I prefer to keep things simple.

In my main system I replaced a pair of well-served Infinity speakers with Epos few years ago. My listening space is rather small and acoustically awkward, but the Eposes seem to handle it very well. I have been extremely happy with them.

I had a pair of Genelec active speakers (with a subwoofer) in my secondary system for several years, but for some reason these turned out to be susceptible for interference. To get rid of it once and for all, I then went looking for passive ones to replace them. It was rather a daunting task to find a pair which was not much larger than the Genelecs, but still capable of offering full-bodied sound. Luckily, I eventually discovered another Finnish-made product, Aurelia Aniara speakers which turned out to be exactly what I had wanted and needed for the smaller of my listening rooms (or 'study'); I get excellent sound out of them even without a subwoofer.

13. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Past speakers:
    1)Boston Acounstic VR940's and VR Series
    2)B&W 608's and two ASW 610 subs.
    3)Paradigm Studio 100 and two Seismic 110 Subs

Current: KEF R900's and 2 R400B subs

14. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I've had Magnepan SMGa, Alon 1, Harbeth P3, Vandersteen 3A Signature, Acoustic Energy 1, Westlake LC4.75, Epos ES11, and many vintage beaters.

My favorite, and the one that I still own, are the Vandersteen 1C. They are easy to place, easy to drive, and scale well. And they sound terrific!

Sneaky Pete and jupiterboy like this.
  15. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Veal Marinated with Pernod and Sage (VMPS) RM30M.

I can't think of any food orientated speaker manufacturers useful for a sandwich. Why can't they use names like the computer world - Apple, Blackberry etc. then we could make a decent sandwich.

My recommended sandwich is cheddar cheese with strawberry jam. You might think 'what', but the combination works well. It sounds good too.

bhazen and Robin L like this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Audio/sandwich related if not specifically concerning speakers—Kimber's PBJ interlinks.

17. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Soup for lunch, no sandwich

Carver Amazing AL-III - (not my pic) - quad amp'd Emotiva Mono Blocks to get me 600 per side. these are at home in my main room.
    [​IMG]

Infinite Slope .6 (Not my pic) in my man cave.....soon to be running on a Fisher 400 I am hoping to have refurbished very soon (but for now on an Vintage Onkyo receiver).

[​IMG]

Bohlender-Graebener Z1's (not my pic) for the office....powered by Fisher x-100-3 with a new compliment of NOS tubes from IndyMike!!!

[​IMG]

18. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Pinnacle AC 400 in the kitchen, running on an ADCOM 5400 via Niles 6 speaker distrubution

[​IMG]

Pinnacle PN 5+ in the bedroom, running on an ADCOM 5400 via Niles 6 speaker distrubution

[​IMG]

Advent Mini's in the bathroom running on an ADCOM 5400 via Niles 6 speaker distrubution

[​IMG]

Nothing better than continuous tunes where ever I may roam..... especially nice when the wife is out and I can crank up some blues!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have a pair of Legacy Signature III speakers. They are dipoles with ribbon tweeters and Kevlar midranges. They have a total of five divers in front. They have three ten inch woofers, one facing forward one facing backward and one aimed toward the floor. I don't need subs and they reach down to 20hz with some authority. I have them set for 4 ohms impedance to take advantage of my amps high current capability. I am driving them with 200 watts of old school Class A amplification.

I know that sounds like a sonic nightmare custom made to listen to cannons a railroad sounds, but they are actually well balanced and coherent. In fact I would describe them as music lover's speakers first and foremost similar to Vandersteens.

They can satisfactorily create a facsimile of a delicate acoustic guitar and piano, the NY Philharmonic or Megadeath. They are honest but not brutally honest.

I just had a delicious roasted Turkey corn tortilla wrap, with lettuce, fresh tomatoes, and mayo mixed with a nice dollop of Habanero hot sauce.

jupiterboy and Diamond Dog like this.
  20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I wanted to replace my Vandersteen 1Bs with something similar that was a monitor—easier to move around for me. I ended up with a 2-way, first-order, transmission line speaker—like the Vandys—but with a front firing port and an MTM configuration. If NSMT PSM SE doesn’t send you into an acronymic tailspin, check them out. They are not as easy to position as the Vandys, and they do not have that omni-directional element, but the image very, very well and are good for long listening sessions.

[​IMG]

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  21. MonkeyMan

Another great thing about the Vandersteen 1C: Mere mortals can actually own them.

Johnny Vinyl, bhazen and Sneaky Pete like this.
  22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Exactly. I have loved the 1Bs for 20 years. I always wonder how I would do with a true omnidirectional design, because I think that really is part of the charm and their ability to put you in that 3D space.

23. MonkeyMan

Totally man... Even though I can afford more, I simply see no reason to. Maybe one day I'll treat myself to a brand spanking new set of the updated 1Ci, but that's as far as I think I'll ever go again.

24. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I had a wonderful avocado and brie sandwich for lunch. Great synergy to be found there.

I recently finished a pair of DIY Finalists speakers that sound fantastic. I imagine I would have to spend a ton to best these sound-wise. Here's a picture of one of them:

[​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  25. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I have a set of John Van L Quartet monitors sitting on top of Modified Velodyne DD-15 subs.
    The subs and speakers are using a total of 14 Stillpoint Ultra SS's.
    I modded the subs by replacing the full wave bridge rectifiers with Shockkty diodes(4 diodes per rectifier).
    This is a link to John's website.
    http://www.vanlspeakerworks.com/
    Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.