Tell me about your Sandwiches sorry I meant speakers!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

PMC fact.12's here. My bucket-list speakers. Replaced PMC fact.8's which replaced PMC FB1i's. So kind of a PMC fact.sandwich with i-Series filling. Delicious...

[​IMG]

D.D.

brew ziggins and Sneaky Pete like this.
  2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

What are those amps? 200 watts of Class A !!!! Yowza...

D.D.

3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Krell

motorcitydave likes this.
  4. I have Opera Seconda's. Used to own B&W 803d's and B&W PM1's. I will almost certainly buy some "nicer" speakers one day, but I doubt I will ever get rid of the Seconda's. They do everything well and I can tell they still haven't reached their full potential.

I suspect I will upgrade every other component first and then use the Seconda's in a secondary system IF I can ever find a better speaker for my ears. So far, speakers costing 3x the Seconda's haven't made me want to upgrade, so we'll have to see if anything ever does.

[​IMG]

5. Sneaky Pete

I dig those Opera speakers.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Just to see for myself:
    Magnavox Theater? Console-their best for year 1964-1965
    KLH 17
    Cerwin Vega S1
    Polk Audio SDA 1A
    BandW Matrix 3
    BandW 802D/Def.Tech. BP 7002
    Definitive Technology BP 7000

Not as much as I thought. Take care, John M.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  7. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Paradigm Eclipse...very nice speakers

RonW likes this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Heh, I get the cheapskate award -- Music Hall Marimbas, purchased used on eBay.

10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

No. Not cheap skating...
    Those Marimbas are great little speakers. You did well!

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

New York Ruben

Loudspeakers:
    [​IMG]

Rega RS3 (All Rega system). Music room.
    PSB Alpha B1 (spares/standby, drilled and bolted to Sanus steel foundation 26" stands). Music room closet.
    PSB Subseries 1 (spares/standby). music room closet.
    Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 ("vintage" Sansui system). Living room.
    Polk OWM 5(x3) & 3(x2) and PSW111 (TV surround sound system, Sony system). Family room.
    Bose AIM5 (mongrel: wall mounted Lifestyle 25 cubes, series 1 bass module, Onkyo all in one). Bed room.
    Unknown brand speakers that don't really look like rocks (x2). dual voice coil two tweeters (Makes stereo into moneo). Pool.

Music devices that have speakers in them:
    Bose wave radio. Bedroom #2.
    Apple iPod HiFi. Portable.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    RonW likes this.
  12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Liverwurst and sweet onion on rye. Delicious!

Martin Logan Preface
    The original and new Advent Loudspeakers
    Bose 301
    Criterion 8"

But everyone knows that. :tiphat:

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

What's impressed me about these speakers are the imaging and what I think the journals call "microdynamics," which I find most evident in piano discs. Solo piano is, for me, very revealing, since individual notes can have such distinct details of attack and decay. The Marimbas seem to reveal the components of piano tones very well.

Previously, I felt my various Telarc solo piano discs to be somewhat bland sounding, but now they're among my favorite discs.

14. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Bower&Wilkins CM-9s. Love them. Grado RS-1i-GS1000i-PS1000 headphones. Love them too.

15. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Old picture from two houses ago... this is one of a pair of UREI 813A studio monitors. That's an Altec 604 on top with a 15" Eminence woofer on bottom - time aligned with quite a complex crossover. They play really loud and clean but can be a bit untamed on top with the wrong electronics and front end. With a solid 60W tube amp or even an autoformer McIntosh, they are the most dynamic speakers I've ever heard. They can - with the right gear - also have incredible depth and width. In comparison every other speaker I've owned just sounds gutless.

The negatives: They aren't pretty, they're extremely heavy at ~170lbs each, and the already mentioned sensitivity to source and electronics. Also having the drivers sit out like that is an invitation to damage. I've since built some homemade grilles.

kfringe and FLEMKE like this.
  16. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

[​IMG]

My day-to-day speakers are a pair of B&W Matrix 805s. Back a few years ago these were considered pretty hot - I still like 'em. The treble is especially good and the little 5" Kevlar woofer, though limited for deep bass, still gives some sense of bottom end. Just don't try to play 'em too loud, or else they start to get a little rough. Otherwise very British.

They also have an outboard line equalizer that increases the bottom-end reach. It does work, but some of the transparency is lost.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  17. Sneaky Pete

Now that is a sandwich! Love those Martin Logans too.

RonW likes this.
  18. I'm a Liverwurst-aholic. I LOVE that sh!t!!!!! Just give me a little mustard and I don't care what the bread is....even crackers!

smctigue, RonW and Sneaky Pete like this.
  19. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I love it too, but everyone else here finds it disgusting. If I buy some I have to eat it ALL, so as a consequence I rarely buy it.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some great posts here.

21. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I eat it right out of the deli paper. Bread, crackers, condiments, you're just f'ing with perfection.

Audio Physic Virgo II - 9' off the front wall, 6' off the side walls. Ears 6.5' from the tweeters. Holographic. Spooky depth and image scale. Bought them from a nice gentleman in the Catskills.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Sounds like a nice room.

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Had a chicken patty w/ cheese.

I am listening to my Acoustic Research AR3s now. I am quite content with these speakers.

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Oh and my home theater setup is Klipsch Quintet IIIs and a 12 inch sub, which are acceptable but in no way my idea of audio nirvana.

25. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I'm in our 22' x 24' x 7' basement. Dimensions aren't great but I'm thankful to have it.

jupiterboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.