Tell me about your Turntable.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

You can't really tell from the photos but the plinth on the Onkyo is particle board with a laminate, whereas the Dual is real wood. At some point in the life of both of mine, they got damp. This resulted in some finish damage on the Dual, but a chunk of the veneer coming off the Onkyo (which is probably why I got it for $20.00).

Interestingly, both use a quartz lock to keep them at true speed.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

When I was a junior in high school, my parents got me a Pioneer PL-S30 for Christmas. That was 29 years ago. It is the table that I still use today. I've replaced the belt twice.

For the past year, I've been using a Audio Technica AT95E. I've been very happy with it.

warp2600 likes this.
  3. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Have read good reviews in the Uk of the old but venerable OM5E: I realise this is old,and also "entry level",but would it outperform the AT95E?

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I really don't have anything fancy. And you know, I've never even bothered to look up the specs. I just did. I have 2 Technics SL-1700MK2 tables.
    SL-1700mk2
    Semi-Automatic
    Control: Quartz
    Years made 1979-1981
    List price: $350
    Wow and flutter 0.025
    Rumble -78db
    Speed variation 0.002 percent

I like it because it's semi automatic. It has exactly the same build, motor and drive system as an SL-1200. Same arm, too. Identical except for the addition of a semi automatic mechanism (optically triggered so the return mechanism is not mechanically connected to the arm and has no effect on performance). Very solid table. Probably sounds identical to an SL-1200 except some claim slight livelier because it also has the addition of a suspended chassis. It's certainly not as detailed as my Thorens' TD-125 was, but it has a meatier sound with more powerful bass which is my cuppa, so I swapped over to the Technics and I am satisfied, especially with the auto return. In fact, today I walked out the door to go to the post office and left one of the new Beatle monos playing, knowing it would be nicely turned off when I got home. Take that, manual guys! I got one of the table for $85 from an old lady (but I had to drive 4 hours round-trip and the other for $125, but I had to do some minor repairs to the return mechanism (easy to do, new belt and new grease). It was fun fixing them up. Technics come apart nice and easily and go back together the same way. Just built so smart. I keep the second table as a back up. Like all Technics, dependable and bullet proof. Maybe not as springy, rubber band driven and minimalist as turntable fashion goes these days, but it's like a Honda compared to a Italian. Maybe not all the zip and finesse of a esoteric, but it'll with run without effort, well, since 1979, I guess. Oh, I have a Stanton 681EEE on that I managed to score NOS off ebay in the good old days before the revival for $60. It certainly isn't "turntable p*rn" pretty, but it's utilitarian clean and a great piece of machinery. And yes, "tank-like."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  5. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Oh wow, that's a beautiful one !!

6. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

I bought a P3-24 back in 2007, its still going strong.

Arm: RB301
    Cartridge: Dynavector 20X2L
    Phono stage: Dynavector P-75
    Rega TT-PSU
    Rega White Belt

I've also Groovetracer'd it up, with the Reference subplatter, platter and counterweight.

All I can say is that I absolutely love this table! it sounds lively, rich, dynamic and runs bang on speed. I've got no urge to upgrade, it just does what I want it to: let me enjoy the music.

[​IMG]

Shiver, Long Live Analog and warp2600 like this.
  7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Sorry I don't think that if the base Debut Carbon came with electronic speed control and acrylic platter it would still be $400 ...plus the complaints of "no upgrade path"! It is for everyone to decide at what price point "nice sounding stuff" starts for them.

Infact, in the UK there is, at £100, more the Project Carbon Esprit SB which comes with the speedbox built in and the acrylic platter. This was my restart to vinyl, and yes, just 2 months in I went from 2M Red to Bronze (which was 75% of the original outlay).

8. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I should have gone for the UK edition

9. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

No. The AT95 should be the better of those two.

10. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I presently have 2 turntables in active service right now. My primary TT is a Michel Gyrodec SE with the VC power supply. The tone arm is an Origin Live Encounter MKII with a Shelter 7000 cartridge. The whole shebang rests on a Symposium Ultra. I've had this gear for about 8 years now and absolutely love it which brings me to my second table used in a vintage system. My original Thorens TD160 which I've owned from the early 70's.

This table has been heavily modified to a "Super" + condition. All the Chadwick mods were made however, I used EAR IsoDamp for the motor plate and automotive cork for the sub-platter. A solid, milled aluminum tonearm mount supports an Origin Live Onyx arm with the Ortofon 2M Red. It is now housed in a 1" thick solid Padauk plinth with a 1/2" Baltic birch bottom plate. This table is also wonderful - exceedingly so. I'm in the process of changing out the springs for the Linn and am entertaining having the motor improvement done by Hanze.

Now I'm contemplating changing the Michel deck tonearm for the Shroeder DPS moving the Encounter to the Thoren's and moving the Thoren's as a second deck into my primary system.

11. flvet

flvet Forum Resident

Pictures added[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IanL, Funky54, Vernoona and 2 others like this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I have a Pro-Ject Debut III that I've upgraded in various ways. It sounds pretty good to me, but I think after I improve my amp and speakers, I'll switch to the 2M Blue cartridge.

Pro-Ject Speed Box S
    Herbie's Way Excellent Mat
    Ortofon 2M Red
    Bellari VP130 phono pre-amp

Long Live Analog likes this.
  13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Technics SL-Q3. Bought used at a garage sale a few years ago. It would have been $20 but seller said it was priced it at $10 because it had "no needle". I asked if she'd toss in the needle I found nearby, an Audio Technica AT91E, new old stock. "Sure". Sounded great to me. I replaced the cart with an AT1100E I found on a thrift store turntable and added a new stylus. Sounds better.

Bolero and Old Rusty like this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have a Clearaudio Ovation with the Magnify tonearm, VTALifter2 (for real time VTA adjustment) and Quadro record clamp. I recently (July) upgraded to a Clearaudio Concerto v2 cartridge, which is just now getting to the point of breaking in after new. My phonostage is a Herron Audio VTPH-2, which I am running unloaded.

Everything sounds great: detailed, fast, neutral, dynamic and very musical. Classic jazz and classical are my favorites and sound spectacular.

Long Live Analog and ellingtonic like this.
  15. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

Just set up a friend's PS-LX150H for her a few weeks ago. Played some Sonny Rollins on it through a Sony receiver Sounded nice. You will not see my nose twitch in any direction except to nod in favor.

Old Rusty and Daniel Plainview like this.
  16. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I installed this old stereo receiver which had been gathering dust for several years in our garage, piled up amongst other audio equipment. It's a Fisher although I haven't taken note of the exact model or product number, and I'm using it provisionally until a brand new stereo amplifier which I ordered arrives.

It might have been bought by my father (or my cousin) at some point in the mid eighties or early nineties.

I own a Pro-ject phono box and have ran a couple of experiments, first by connecting the table to the Pro-ject, then by connecting it to the Fisher's phono input, honestly I haven't found any difference between the two, they sound the same to me.

[​IMG]

17. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I have a Pro-ject 5.1 turntable purchased just over 12 months ago. I have just upgraded from the stock Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge to a lo-mc Ortofon Rondo Bronze cartridge. It is running through a Pro-ject Tube Box DS pre-amp.

[​IMG]

Funky54, Long Live Analog and Laibach like this.
  18. thommo

thommo Senior Member

The 95 would be better.

You can also get a Shibata tip for that 95 which would be a huge (and simple) upgrade for you for less than a ton...http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=1602

19. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

2 turntables. SME 30/2 I have had for about 6 years, SME V arm with Benz LPS cartridge. I also have a Rega RP10 with Rega Apheta cartridge. Both connected to a ARC Ref Phono 2 SE. They present quite a contrast. The new review of the RP10 in The Audio Beat is interesting and seems to say that the RP10 is more true to the music while the SME would be more "audiophile." I have been experimenting with his assertions and I tend to agree with him. Stevie Wonder's Talking Book does sound better on the RP10 in the way the reviewer described. But when I had some audiophile friends over, they instantly preferred the Shelby Lynne record Just a Little Loving on the SME and did not want to hear the RP10 again.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  20. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Many thanks...the Shibata tip costs more than the cartridge...would the outlay provide a significant increase in sound quality?

21. thommo

thommo Senior Member

If the cart was sold with a tip of that quality, it wouldn't be the price you paid in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. The tip quality is often the determining factor in a ranges price.

The shibata wouldn't affect overall tone too much, but more lower distortion/better tracking, better separation/extension. After trying various tip profiles (E, HE, LC, MR, even SAS), I've found Shibata to be my personal favourite. I know it's about implementation, but in my own experience, that's what I realised.

Stereo Times had this to say about the LP Gear 95SA (a 95E with a Shibata tip on it) vs 95e:
    "While the AT95E’s portrayal of acoustic instrumental timbre sounds more natural than that of the CD, one can hear its limits of resolution. It never gets harsh or nasty, it just lacks some discrimination. It is, after all, a $50 cartridge.

The $30 additional cost of the LP Gear AT95SA and its Shibata stylus gets you more high frequency detail and resolution, without any attendant artificial brightness or edge. High frequencies sound silky and sweet, yet still cast clarifying light on the frequencies below, sharpening timbral acuity and bringing out more detail and nuance of performance. The basic rhythmic skills of the AT95E are not compromised, are, in fact, improved, as the AT95SA sounds even quicker on its feet and is more capable of rendering subtleties of performance technique."

22. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I have owned a Brinkmann Balance since 2008. It has the Brinkmann arm and Benz cartridge. Phono stage is from Naim (Superline / Supercap). My only regret is not pursuing vinyl sooner since I am relatively late to the party compared to a lifetime of purchasing music. My focus is on finding more vinyl to enjoy since I cannot imagine ever wanting a different turntable. My SACD/CD player is used rather infrequently.

23. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

It seems to me that EVERYONE is having a good time putting together exactly what sounds great to them. Plug and play is easy, but I think it's more fun to look at the things that others enjoy, and give them a try. So far no one on this forum has led me astray. it's fun making Your turntable more enjoyable by hopping it up a little bit.

24. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

That Technics is so clean it reminds me of going to the stereo shop in the basement of the drug store. The druggist was a stereo nut, so he had a Panasonic and Technics franchise. He sold some records too. There was that one Carly Simon album where she wore the tight blue sweater. He couldn't keep that one in stock for some reason.
    That is a beautiful turntable You have there.

25. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Denon DP-59L fully automatic direct drive turntable. My first turntable, which I just bought this past July. Was intending to purchase new but sort of got talked into starting w/ this and pairing it w/ a pretty nice phono preamp (Liberty Audio B2B-1). So far, I love it. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my CD player since I purchased it. Right now I have a Benz Micro MC 20E2-L cartridge installed (backup cartridge that I got seller to throw in w/ the purchase), which I think will be the next upgrade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funky54, cat9 and Bolero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.