"Temples Of Rock" On The Travel Channel - Sunday, November 30th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff Thread Starter

Temples of Rock

Travel Channel's unique special, "Temples of Rock", chronicles the legendary studios, venues and alternative social consciousness of the age of Rock and Roll.

From the graffiti-laden walls of the CBGB to the Whisky a Go Go’s “Pope of the Sunset Strip,” host Ray Manzarek shares the unique environment in which the rock and roll age had its roots.

On Sunday, November 30 from 9-11P ET/PT, host Ray Manzarek, organist for The Doors, takes Travel Channel viewers on a psychedelic tour through time in the world premiere special TEMPLES OF ROCK. The two-hour special visits some of the most important performing and recording sites in rock and roll, namely: The Cavern, CBGB, Fillmore Auditorium, the Fillmore East, Motown’s Hitsville USA, Sun Studio and the Whisky a Go Go. Along the way, viewers will share in the eyewitness accounts of how The Cavern audience attacked George Harrison on the night of Ringo Starr’s debut with the Beatles, will hear stories of the unique relationship between the Fillmore East and the neighboring Tisch School of the Arts, and will get a peek at the less than stately bathrooms of the NY Bowery’s CBGB."

More information at The Offical Site Of Ray Manzarek.

2. Craig

bump reminder for tomorrow.........

3. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up, Craig :)

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

This is definitely a must see!

5. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

sweet! I'm going to be watching for this to come on tonight.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Raymond Daniel Manzarek is a very cool guy.

7. Craig

The Travel Channel Web Site (part of Discovery.com) lists the following air dates (Eastern Time):
    Code:
    Sun November 30, 2003 -  9:00 PM
    Mon December  1, 2003 - 12:00 AM
    Thu December  4, 2003 -  9:00 PM
    Fri December  5, 2003 - 12:00 AM

They've got something call Beatlemania Britain listed also (right before Temples Of Rock).

Take a magical mystery tour through the phenomenal story of Beatlemania, from Liverpool to London. Visit the sites that were formative in the lives and careers of John, Paul, George and Ringo, including venues where the legacy still thrives.
    Code:
    Sun November 30, 2003 -  8:00 PM
    Sun November 30, 2003 - 11:00 PM
    Thu December  4, 2003 -  8:00 PM
    Thu December  4, 2003 - 11:00 PM

8. Craig

Just a reminder those times are Eastern time zone.

The Beatlemania Britain starts tonight at 5:00 PM Pacific and The Temples Of Rock starts at 6:00 PM Pacific.

Check your local listings..........

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Just watched the show. VERY well done. It airs again later tonight if you missed it....

Chris

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I saw a little less than half of it, but set up my Tivo to catch a future airing. I saw most of the Hitsville parts, which were very good. They interviewed Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Jack Ashford, and Eddie Willis. They also interviewed a representative of the museum, but I forgot her name (it was not Esther Gordy-Edwards).

Regards,

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I caught Beatlemania Britain about 10 minutes into the show and watched for 20 minutes ... I am a Beatles fan but not hardcore and I found it was lacking in substance ...

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It re-runs on Thursday at 9PM EST and then again at midnight. One funny bit considering the nature of the show is that Smokey Robinson comes right out and says that as much as people have tried to recreate the feel and sound of the Hitsville Studio A, it was really all about the people who worked there, not the place itself.

Regards,

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I liked the fact they used real music relating to the artists they were talking about. I hate it when networks are too cheap to pay for music rights (hello E! network). If they started using MIDI or Musak versions of Motown and Allman Brothers tunes I would've have turned it off.
    The special was very informative and I learned a lot.

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Manzarek did a great job, and his excellent spoken presence in the special really made a nice style. I hope he gets more spots to do speaking roles in specials like this.

The special is very worth seeing. Shocking the Fillmore E is now an independent bank, sterile and white...

15. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I loved the shots of the Whiskey A Go Go, with Johnny Rivers on stage. I would of loved to have been there in those days. Born a little to late.:sigh:

16. Chris M

I enjoyed the interview with the owner of the Whiskey. I can't remember his name but he's known as the 'pope of the Sunset Strip'. He said Jim Morrison was a 'real nice kid' :D

17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

No kidding. It's sad important landmarks, such as the Fillmore East, can be erased from existence so easily.:(

18. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

Being too young to have experienced any of that firsthand I thought the show was pretty informative.:)

19. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

And it could have been saved! Until '95 or '96,it was still somewhat intact.I remember there was a guy trying to raise money to save it,but as you can see he failed.Total bummer! Every time I'm in the area,I also walk by,look up at the top half of the building,& think of everything that happened there & what should have been preserved.And the same goes for Max's Kansas City,which is now a deli."Progress"......?

20. Chris M

Wow. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by 'somewheat intact'? What was the building used as before the bank opened up?

Anyone know what happened to Fillmore West and Winterland?

Thanks,

Chris

21. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Before the bank it was a disco known as The Saint.As for Winterland,it was torn down & there's condos on the site.Fillmore West,I believe the building is still there & if I remember correctly,there's a car showroom in the space.

22. Chris M

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Chris

23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I was in New York when they began the assault, er, renovation on the Fillmore East. The crew had called it a day, and there was no front door, just a piece of plastic blowing about. I had to walk in--and what did I find? Certainly no floor, just some very shaky wooden planks that made my adventure a tad frightening, but I was not to be thwarted. I proceeded and tried to soak in as much of the famed building's vibes as was possible. Just me and a landmark, with the sounds of New York in the background. Priceless.

24. Chris M

Cool story. Terry, when was that? Late 80's? Anyone know what they used they Fillmore East buildig for after it closed in '71?

25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I believe this was 2/96. On another note, I attended Woodstock '94, and the following year I was in Albany on business, so I took a trip down to where the festival was held. With my biz suit on, I crawled over a fence, waded through a pond, and then strolled to the festival site. Gorgeous. The promoters reseeded the area, and I strolled through a woderful meadow-like setting. As for that soggy plane ride home three hours later....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.