Ten Years After Positive Vibrations and Recorded Live Deluxe 2 cd Editions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I received the same cancellation notice.

2. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

good news..."recorded live" is one of my desert island albums...thx for the headsup guys!!

3. Based on the information I have received, the first pressings of "Positive Vibrations" had an error and discs are currently being remanufactured. Should be available in a few weeks.

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks a lot of for that info!

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I think it says something to this effect on the forums on Alvin Lee's web site.

6. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It has always disappointed me that "The Hobbit" was not on the original CD release.
    I don't get excited over new releases of rock era music, but I might be interested in this.
    Providing it isn't desecrated by "post production".

7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I like both albums.

8. Chris97

Chris97 Member

This new remaster doesn't sound great to my ears. To me the definitive version remains the 2 cd set released by EMI in 2000. This new release is worth having for the bonus tracks which sound better than the content of the original album.

9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Thanks for the input. Sadly, all to much rock music is ruined by modern quick and cheap methods of post mastering.

I wasn't aware that there is a EMI 2CD set in existance. Is it expanded, or just two CDs with 40 min each on them?

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I figured as much.
    My EMI copy includes The Hobbit and is definitely the one to have.

11. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

Have anyone besides Chris97 heard this? It doesn't sound bad at all. Not crushed or harsh, I can play it very loud. This version also includes The Hobbit.

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Forum member Roland said he likes it a page back. I usually agree with him in terms of mastering, so I ordered a copy and should hopefully get it in a few days. I will report back then.

13. Chris97

Chris97 Member

I believe it's OOP. I grabbed it back then after reading a positive review and never regretted it.

10ya.jpg

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I'm a big TYA fan and music addict but I never knew that this album had been re-released again etc as a 2 disc version, with Hobbit. If I had known at the time I would have bought it! I'll stick with the new one at this point though, and to be honest I'm not big on drum solos so I didn't mind no Hobbit on my BGO CD anyways.

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

This was an EMI Holland import and came in a fatboy case with a foldout poster. I didn't like the sound that much, but it was better than the BGO version. Not as good as the standard US Chrysalis, from memory.

16. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

I love the mastering. Lots of bass in the bonus tracks. New remixes?

17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have Chrysalis version of "Recorded Live" and I have always loved its sound. Now I am very tempted to upgrade it to the expanded version, but I have had pretty bad experiences before with classic live albums. I am neither audiophile nor have top-end playback equipment, I am not particularly interested in dissecting waveforms either, which seems to be a favourite pastime in certain threads here.

I just react "organically" and after upgrading certain CDs in the past I realized that I had just stopped listening to those titles. I could only tell it in hindsight, because when I was reaching for a new disc to play, I always unconsciously bypassed some positions that had been previously in rotation. Curiously those albums happened to be exclusively from the hard/blues rock genre - compromised/altered sound of titles of any other music style did not seem to affect my subconscious choices that much. It cannot be a pure coincidence since I have quite diverse tastes.

This situation happened after upgrading Deep Purple's "Made in Japan" to the two-disc "black cover" version, UFO's "Strangers in the Night" to the remastered disc augmented with two additional tracks, Grand Funk Railroad's "Live Album" to the "cleaned up" single-disc remaster and, worst of all, it also affected Ten Years After's "Undead" right after acquiring its expanded version.

After pondering on this strange phenomenon the Purple's case seems to me the easiest one. The remastered album sounds like a totally different record with Blackmore's guitar sound bizarrely distorted, almost unrecognizable. UFO's expanded disc somehow started to tire my ears badly - they are really aching after listening to three-four numbers in a row. GFR's classic never sounded good in the first place, but now it sounds plain weird without that famous omnipresent bass. And "Undead" - I really do not know, maybe the first old CD version I had did not sound great, but the new one sounds... muddy, despite being allegedly cleaned up and revamped, possibly with the exception of select new tracks thrown in (e.g. "I Can't Keep From Crying..."), but those are new so there is no previous version to compare.

I am really afraid of investing into new "Recorded Live", although those extra tracks are a treat. However, if the set ends up gathering dust on the shelf it does not make any sense to replace the old CD. If it were a totally revised live document, like say the new Humble Pie's "Performance" box, I would not hesitate, but here... Does anyone have similar experiences to help me in this case?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

As no one had offered me a guiding light I had to grow up, behave like an adult and check things myself. Actually I went to downtown yesterday to pick up the Humble Pie's box, but since it was temporarily out of stock I bought the new version of "Recorded Live". Here are my first impressions.

SOUND¡

I am not going to lie - it is pretty different to my EU Chrysalis single disc. As with typical modern mastering all instruments get more separated and boosted up in the mix, which in my opinion destroys a bit a nice "melange", which offers the earlier edition. A question of taste, because some may want to hear everything clearly all the time, with instruments "jumping out" of speakers. The sound on the new version is more reminiscent of "Live at the Fillmore East", maybe a bit better because the organ is much more prominent, maybe a bit worse because of certain moments of instruments "overdrive".

Well, I will quickly get used to it (contrary to the cases described in my previous mail), especially because of new...

MUSIC!

Wow, that is how all expanded editions should look like. Long, improvised and fervent "Standing at the Station" would have been a centrepiece of the original release together with "Help Me" and "I Can't Keep From Crying..." - it is that good. No, it is excellent, it is marvellous! Two long untitled jams are great, great, great, like two subtle sketches from different angles in the preparation to the "Extension On One Chord" masterstroke. Remaining bonus tracks are perfect companion to the original album - same quality level, not a single dud!

I strongly urge everyone still hesitating to grab this new edition and not to make too much fuss about the SQ. The sheer quality of new music will reward in excess any inconveniences.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  19. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Anybody else get these? I bought the expanded "Recorded Live" yesterday and it's just awesome. I don't have another version....but it sounds pretty good to me. Both discs are packed with over 75 minutes of music on each. Absolutely smokin' music.

jay.dee likes this.
  20. John025

John025 New Member

It appears I have one of the few copies of Positive Vibrations that escaped recall....mine ends with a 45 sec. advert for P.V. Other ads I have seen have Atlanta songs on the end and a drum solo. Be curious to see what eventually shows up on the final edition. The bonus tracks are AMAZING and P.V. sounds great. I have issues with some of the facts in the liner notes. Says they never played any P.V. tunes live in America and they sure DID!

21. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

I agree, I really liked the new Recorded Live, am waiting for the new PV to come out.

22. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The remastered Positive Vibrations 2 CD set is out now. This is the good bit.
    The CRAP(yes, that is capital letters!) bit is that the 2nd disc comes with TWO LIVE BONUS TRACKS LEFT OFF from the originally scheduled Oct. 2013 version that was put on halt at the 11th hour. :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

ONE OF THESE DAYS from the Paris show and HELP ME from Frankfurt are omitted! WTF? Any one with an idea? It can't be royalty or licensing reasons as both numbers appear on "Rec. Live", too.
    I tried to get me a promo for the original version on Ebay that had both numbers but was unfortunately outbidded though my bid was considerable. Sigh & double sigh!
    I know a few copies leaked out back then. Anyone around here who was lucky to obtain one or a promo copy so we could learn what my have been the reason behind this ....(add any 4 letter word you know).

Record companies and their release policies - another nail in my coffin.

TYA ahoy, still,
    Th:-(mas

John Fell likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Dondy! A shame about the deleted track. They did the same thing with the Robin Trower Live Across America. Four tracks were deleted as the last minute. :realmad:

I believe I read on the Alvin Lee site that if you pick up both the bonus track editions of Recorded Live and Positive Vibrations, you have the complete Frankfort show. This might not be the case now if the Frankfort Help Me is now deleted.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  24. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

Have another go.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEN-YEARS-A...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item5408167009

25. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

It looks like different sites have different track listings for the bonus disc. Some with the same track listing as the pulled release. Some deleting ONE OF THESE DAYS and HELP ME. One shows those tracks intact, the advert being dropped and two more tracks at the end: Spider In My Web (Atlanta) and Drum Solo (Atlanta).

One way of knowing the track list is to have the the physical item in hand!

http://www.amazon.de/Positive-Vibrations-Ten-Years-After/dp/B00ED2EMPU
    http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Ten-Years-After-Positive-Vibrations/hnum/2807922
    http://cdon.se/musik/ten_years_after/positive_vibrations_(2cd)-24854105
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ED2EMPU
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEN-YEARS-A...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item5408167009

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.