Ten years ago today: Letterman anniversary.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

On August 30, The Late Show With David Letterman debuted on CBS.

Dave Logs 10 Years at CBS

By Josh Grossberg
    E! Online

Seems like yesterday that David Letterman bolted to CBS after being passed over for The Tonight Show gig by NBC in favor of Jay Leno after Johnny Carson's retirement.

Seems like yesterday. But it's been a whopping 10 years since Letterman started doing his late-night shtick for the Eye under a new name, Late Show. The show debuted on August 30, 1993.

Tonight, 2,036 broadcasts later, will officially make it a decade tenure at CBS for Indiana's most famous gap-toothed export.

To help mark the occasion will be guest comedians Bonnie Hunt and Don Gavin. Letterman's writers are also getting in on the act with a special anniversary edition of "Know Your Current Events" and a 10th anniversary-themed Top 10 List.

But that's not all. CBS has also scheduled a one-hour primetime anniversary special to air during February sweeps. The telecast, similar to the one in February 2002 marking Dave's 20 years in late night, will feature retrospective clips and tributes to the "Stupid Pet Tricks" mastermind.

Letterman's stint at CBS, which also includes three other prime-time specials, along with heart surgery and a bout with shingles, has surpassed the 1,810 shows he did while anchoring the Peacock network's Late Night franchise.

Moving up an hour to the 11:30 p.m. time slot and going head-to-head with Leno made CBS an instant player in the late-night wars, but Letterman still lags far behind his rival in the Nielsens.

Playing second fiddle however hasn't stopped Letterman and his World Wide Pants pals from racking up eight Emmy Awards in 39 nominations, including six Emmys for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy program. The show's gone five-for-five in that category over the last five years.

Dave's not the only one celebrating 10 years.

No one expected Conan O'Brien, Letterman's successor at NBC's Late Night, to last, including his own bosses who initially signed the fledgling host to 13-week contracts. But not only is Conan a survivor, he's cemented his reputation as one of the night-owl set's funniest and most experimental emcees (witness the recent stunt in which an entire show was claymated, as well as O'Brien's hilarious intro inserted before a rerun airing the night of the big blackout).

The former Saturday Night Live and Simpsons scribe, whose show scored its first ever Emmy nomination for Outstanding Variety Series, is planning to celebrate his decade on the air with a 10th anniversary prime-time special airing September 14.

As for Letterman, no word on an exact air date for the February anniversary special. But he and his writing staff have composed an exclusive Top 10 in honor of his decade celebration. So here it is.

The Late Show's Top 10 "Good Things about Being on CBS for 10 Years:"

10. You're automatically registered as a candidate for governor of California.

9. No matter how many years you're at the network, you'll never be as old as the 60 Minutes guys.

8. Dude, CBS just gave me a sweet Becker mug!

7. Critics have begun comparing me to Carson...Daly.

6. Anniversary hoopla distracts press from my controversial romance with Demi Moore.

5. We have enough highlights to fill a 15-minute special.

4. Statute of limitations expires on camera equipment we stole from NBC.

3. Got to be on Broadway for 10 years without having to put on cat makeup.

2. Received a thoughtful "you suck" telegram from Oprah.

1. CBS? I thought this was ABC.

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Top Ten Things I Have Learned Working For "The Late Show"

10. "Most of audience -- prison inmates" --Line Producer, Kathy Mavrikakis

9. "That ***** couldn't remember his name if it wasn't on cue cards" --Cue Cards, Tony Mendez

8. "I have utterly and completely wasted my life" --Associate Producer, Nancy Agostini

7. "Jennifer Lopez is a hellcat in bed" --Film Coordinator, Rick Scheckman

6. "The hours may be long, but the money sucks" --Make Up Artist, Michele O'Callaghan

5. "We really are a family, and Dave is the crazy uncle everyone is hoping will be put in a home" --Writer, Gerard Mulligan

4. "You don't need good looks or talent to get your own show" --Stage Manager, Biff Henderson

3. "When Regis calls, Dave's in a meeting" --Executive Assistant to David Letterman, Laurie Diamond

2. "All kidding aside, Dave really is an a**hole" --Executive Producer, Jude Brennan

1. "It's much easier if I just tell people I work for Leno" --Musical Director, Paul Shaffer

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I saw the show last night. Letterman really didn't seem too into it for some reason. The show had some very funny moments but it was just above average. Hunt was very funny.
    I'm looking forward to the prime time special though.

I can't believe it's been 10 years. I have his first few CBS shows on VHS. NBC was also airing his first "Late Night" shows during that time so I taped those as well, knowing that it would be a long time (if ever) that we'd have the opportunity to see those shows in full again.

Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.