Terminator: Genisys - Arnie is back

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The who would create the terminators? Homo Velocirapticus?

Hawklord likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Terminator/Jurassic Park crossover?

VELOCIRAPTOR ENDOSKELETONS? brb, grabbing my brown pants

Hawklord likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That's the funny thing about Terminator movies specifically and time travel movies/stories generally. There's the paradox issue. They sent one terminator back to kill Sarah Connor, failed and gave up trying to kill Sarah. Instead they went after son. Were they only able to make one trip to 1984? Why not send a bunch of terminators back to kill Sarah or Sarah's mother or father or grandmother or grandfather or their friends who set them up on their first blind date to begin with? And if you fail the first time, just send a bunch more. In order to enjoy these movies, you have to suspend disbelief a bit.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's the Wile E. Coyote constraint - if a scheme to catch the Road Runner fails, never try again, but come up with a totally different ACME based solution! :)

What typically happens in these scenarios is that there is a constraint of some type which prevents you from trying the same thing over and over again. My memory is fuzzy, but wasn't there an explanation along those lines somewhere in the franchise?

Bobby Buckshot and Encuentro like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don't recall. It's been awhile since I've seen any of those films. You may be right.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think they mention that they only had a limited number of attempts (due to the nature of the mechanism they were using). Presumably the need to make attempts at sufficiently different time periods so that the terminators don't meet themselves from a previous attempt. Anyway...it doesn't really help to over analyze these things because, as Capt. Janeway would say, temporal mechanics gives me a headache!

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Ha! Not quite - time-traveling killer robot from the future stalks time-traveling killer robots from the future.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Inceptionator!

9. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Realistically, the sequels never should've been made. Reece says during his interrogation that no one can go back (to the future), nor can anyone else travel to the past. According to the original film, the time displacement equipment was one and done.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Cameron has gone public with an endorsement for this one.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...n-terminator-genisys-official-third-film-saga

“I feel like the franchise has been reinvigorated, like this is a renaissance,” said the Avatar director. “The new film, which I think of as the third film [in the series], you see [Arnold Schwarzenegger] take the character even further.

“I had no idea what to expect sitting down, I had no involvement in making this film,” added Cameron. “If you like the Terminator films, you’re gonna love this movie.”

The director, who previously dismissed 2003’s Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and 2009’s Terminator Salvation as unworthy of the name, said he had been won over by the new film’s key plot twist, controversially given away in a recent trailer.

dead of night likes this.
  11. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

It was during Reese's interrogation with Dr. Silberman where he mentions how Connor sent him to intercept the terminator and then they, in his words, "blew the whole place." Hence, no more time machine.

I'll still go see it, even if it does end up being a waste of a couple of hours and lacks Cameron's involvement.

12. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

I don't get, how does the movie explain the aging Terminator? There is even a trailer that shows the first Terminator fighting the aging Terminator. What does that mean?

13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I distinctly remember that Cameron gave his approval for Rise of the Machines when it was in theaters. He'll probably throw Genesis under the bus in a few years, too.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The outer covering of a Terminator is organic and can age (and also sweat, have halitosis, putrefy, etc. -- all of this is explained in the first movie).

In the new movie, the "older" Arnold was sent back to when Sarah was a child. Somehow he became a protector for her and so when the "original" young Terminator is sent back to 1984 he takes care of it.

15. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I see this comment all over the place on the internet. He never went out in an edited promo video to support T3. He just said politely it was great when asked about it on a red carpet. Not the same thing at all. Here he fully endorses it, and I doubt he will change his stance since he accepted to appear in a promo video to affirm this, over and over for 2 minutes and a half.

Deesky likes this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well in The Sarah Connor Chronicles (which turned out pretty good IMO) there is a episode whereby they come across a Terminator that had overshot the mark a bit and ended up in the 1930's. He had himself walled up in a hotel till the right time.

They came up with some really really good ideas in that series, especially towards the end. Sigh...

rd1, JohnBeas, wayneklein and 2 others like this.
  17. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Yeah, Cameron may have noticed as he hired the show-runner to work on the script for the Avatar sequels.

The 84 Terminator is fresh from the factory. The 1973 one is thus 10 years older, and then he is in 2017 or something thus about 45 years older.

I don't think T-800 are built to last, so it's fun seeing one getting beyond his years.

18. Well that was explained in the second film as I recall and there are things that Reece might not know that would make it possible.

19. There's no way for the character to know that really occurred. He wasn't there after all.

I seem to remember Cameron endorsing the other films or, at the very least, not crapping on them.

Either way, he makes money as I'm sure the studio,probably pays him not to say crappy things about them

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  20. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Kinda thought I was the only one who like the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Wish it had gotten a third season. One of its issues is that if you didn't see the pilot (which I hadn't the first time I watched it through), you'd never know about the Sarah/John/Cameron time traveling. And so then nothing in the rest of the series seems to make sense.

Deesky likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I loved that show too, Summer Glau really brought something interesting in her portrayal of a terminator and many of the episodes had interesting takes on things (though, I must admit by the latter part of season 2, the stories were getting less consistently good). Also liked Lena Headey, even though she sometimes over did the tough-as-nails thing. But yeah, would have loved another season!

22. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I also think Garret Dillahunt is great.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

this is great :D:D

Vidiot, Deesky, scobb and 3 others like this.
  24. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

That was great, thanx for sharing!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it means the actor who plays the character got older, and VFX can only go so far.

I'm not smelling a hit on this film.

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.