That retro lounge sound....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bogey, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User Thread Starter

First off, cool avatar.

I started with just going to used record shops and digging in their easy listening and jazz bins for covers that popped out at me. I also started listening to this show each week:

http://www.retrococktail.org/

This helped me learn about bands that I did not know.

Les Baxter, Enoch Light, Martin Denny, Esquivel, Perez Prado, Bob Thompson and for more over the top mellow vibes including Mancini and Jackie Gleason's outfit. The list seems endless and I just love the stuff. I found it is the best when the used shop has a listening station there. Also there are many compilation discs that you can grab to use as samplers that will lead you to other outfits. Hope this helps a bit. Others here that have collected longer than me might be able to help you more. Just have fun with it.:cool:

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

If you want cds, browse this page (1 of 8) for some titles. http://www.amazon.com/Cocktail-Mix-...id=1407589635&sr=1-1&keywords=bachelors+guide

For well-known names and styles, browse this thread : )

Sometimes it just fun to buy LPs from the bargain bins, based on the cover, not knowing the artist at all..

Barnabas Collins and Bogey like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The more attractive the woman on the cover the better the record will sound. :p

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I've bookmarked the Retro Cocktail site and I'll start by going back to the top of the thread and putting some names in a list. And yes, it's easy to be drawn in by those gorgeous women!

Scopitone likes this.
  5. Say

Say Forum Resident

Barnabas, for someone getting into the retro stuff I would give Lyman, Esquivel and Baxter a spin.

Hamhead likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

BORING. Avoid.

EasterEverywhere and Hamhead like this.
  7. action pact

Part of the fun of exploring this stuff is making your own discoveries. Go to your local Goodwill (there's lots of unearthed treasures to be found in the wild up in New Hampshire, I go up there regularly on vinyl-hunting expeditions) and see what's in the bins. Look for old LPs with the most interesting and off-kilter cover art. Look at the song titles. (Hint: anything with "Quiet Village" or "Peter Gunn Theme" is sure to be good.)

Be careful with the "Hawaiian" or "Exotica" themed albums, you have to read the covers. If they feature steel guitar or have toons like "My Little Grass Shack," they're almost certainly corny pseudo-Hawaiian romantic music. Look for titles that sound exciting and truly exotic, with words like "lagoon" and "fire" in the titles. See if they mention bird calls and exotic percussion in the liner notes. Those are the good ones!

Don't be afraid to waste a couple of bucks on duds, because you're sure to find a few gems too; it all evens out eventually.

EasterEverywhere, JimC, Bogey and 2 others like this.
  8. action pact

Here's another tip: Pay attention to orchestral LPs with the words "percussive" or "ping pong" in the title, or albums that make a big deal out of being in stereo. Those are often lot of fun too.

[​IMG]

xdawg, Brudy, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  9. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Here are a couple from my collection.

[​IMG]

This is the one cut at 45 RPM.
    [​IMG]

Devon, Scopitone, xdawg and 3 others like this.
  10. action pact

Julie London's '50s albums with the small jazz combo are pretty terrific. Incidentally, I have a 78 of "Cry Me a River."

Scopitone and Hamhead like this.
  11. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I love her version of that song. I'm still looking for some of the 50's albums in mono. :agree:

Hamhead likes this.
  12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'm so lucky to find them all when I had the chance, even Calendar Girl which is impossible to find.

A good one
    [​IMG]

A great one

[​IMG]

Great cover (the foil cover is the one to have)

[​IMG]

Another great cover (love her expression)

[​IMG]

Devon, xdawg, Mr Bass and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bogey

Now listening to in Living Stereo:

[​IMG]

A tack on to this album:

[​IMG]

which was the music for the 1959 tv show, which I have never seen....but am a bit curious. I really enjoy Mancini's stuff. Granted, I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am, his "sound" is the only like it out there. For those keeping some "jazz scores", Shelly Manne is one of the percussionists on the album. However, what puts this one over the top and really makes it fit here is Bobby Hammack's work on the Hammond Organ. Like many of these musicians that appear on these type albums, their resumes are eclectically strong and fun to read about. Google him if you have a moment.

14. Bogey

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Squad 51,Squad 51.....this is Rampart General....

Devon, xdawg, Hamhead and 2 others like this.
  15. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

A few recent additions to my collection. The first is Enoch Light and The Light Brigade (1959)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I have an old mono Cry Me A River LP...classic stuff...hard to believe that she was married to Sgt. Joe Friday (Jack Webb)

17. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

A Goodwill bargain for a buck -- perfect condition, wonderful stereo sound, great music. [borrowed pic]
    [​IMG]

xdawg, Brudy and Bogey like this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Sadly that is not the case. It does make a guy a bit more hesitant about throwing it out though.

19. Mr Bass

One hundred likes for Julie. Now who are those two losers with her???

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

She was the star of Emergency. Bobby Troupe (another of Julie's husbands) played a doctor and Jack Webb produced it. The production meetings must have been interesting.

21. Mr Bass

This is Julie's best album cover IMO and a great album musically as well. Around Midnight with original gold coloring cover.

[​IMG]

Her best later album All through the Night. Sings Cole Porter

[​IMG]

Her last album and perhaps the very first Retro lounge album (as opposed to Lounge album) since it came out in 1969. Yummy Yummy Yummy.

[​IMG]

In case you were wondering, yes I have all 30 of Julie's original Lps.

22. Mr Bass

I do remember that since I watched the series when it first came out, at least the first couple of years. Obviously Jack wasn't the jealous type.

23. action pact

I don't really include Julie London in the lounge category. She's on the same playing field with folks like Peggy Lee and June Christy. There's nothing kitschy about Julie London's records, except possibly the cheesecake cover art.

24. Mr Bass

Well she was much more bachelor pad style early on which is close to lounge. In terms of interpretive ability I would agree that she fits with June Christy etc. but her style is much more relaxed on many (though not all) of her albums. It would be fairer to say that her albums fall into several categories depending. Yummy though is definitely retro lounge IMO.

action pact likes this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's a really great scene with her in the Gary Cooper film Man of the West but it doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.