The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I hated the live version but it works ok on the album. There are worse songs on there....:tiphat:

warewolf95 and beasandpeans like this.
  2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Yellow (bloody) Submarine, I know I`m going to get flack for this because Y.S. is popular among lots of Beatles fans. How many times I must have lifted the arm of my orignal Abbey Road LP and scratched the precious vinyl and on the subeequent A.R. replacements pre: CD. IMHO Y.S. absolutely ruins Abbey Road.

Hi @Monosterio that was/is my opinion about Revelation but it was great accompaniment to, err, certain recreational activities. :cool::agree::agree::agree::tsk::tsk::edthumbs::tiphat::targettiphat::tiphat::agree::agree::agree::cool:

3. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

I felt that "What's That You're Doing?" off of Tug Of War always seemed to be out of place, for the album. For me, it was/is definitely...a mood changer.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Do you mean Octopus' Garden?

5. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

i think he means OG. Good catch.

warewolf95 and Mook like this.
  6. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

R.E.M. "Radio Song"

7. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Revolution 9
    :hide:

8. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I know what you're saying re Dizzy Miss Lizzy. They've lost the rock n roll magic on that one somehow, even John's vocal can't save it. It just sounds tired. I much prefer Bad Boy or I'm Down as someone else suggested. Having said that, Act Naturally is a total dog as far as I'm concerned, fitting your question well. Side 2 is pretty weak overall even allowing for I've Just Seen A Face and Yesterday.
    Several of The Beach Boys pre-Pet Sounds Lps have a comedy/locker room track which hasn't aged well - Bull Session With Big Daddy and I'm Bugged At My Old Man which is a bit too close to the bone in light of what we (think we) know about BW and his dad.
    From the Today album though, I'd choose In The Back Of My Mind. The backing track is a 100% piece of Brian Wilson genius but Dennis's vocal is dreadful in my opinion. Song destroyed, album tarnished.

9. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

ELP - Benny The Bouncer from `Brain Salad Surgery'

10. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Huh...you hate it so much you don't even know what album it's on.

11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

To be fair, that is real hatred.

12. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Good point. If only Lizzy had been the B side and I'm Down the album closer. Always loved Help! and don't really understand the flack it often gets.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

For me the song is Bullet the Blue Sky off the Joshua Tree. I'm just not a fan of this song. It's the fourth song in between With or Without You and Running to Stand Still. And I just don't think it fits there at all. I actually don't think it fits the album at all. And usually I just grab Achtung Baby rather than having to listen to Bullet the Blue Sky. I've seen U2 twice and I can't say I like the live performance of the song either.

14. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

"Fitter Happier", or "Electioneering" :shake:

beatleswho, gregorya and Pete Puma like this.
  15. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Another 'Outlaw Pete' thread already??

Saul Pimon likes this.
  16. jorgy

jorgy Well-Known Member

Yellow Submarine. Just.. this song doesn't fit to album imho. Dont even remember when I didn't skip it. Always thought that Rain should have been there instead..

Galaga King likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I like Roger Taylor and most of his songs on Queen albums but Loser in the End is complete and utter rubbish on an otherwise perfect album.

18. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I agree with him, and add that "Strawberry Fields Forever" simply ruins the flow of With The Beatles

19. sunking101

Yes, erased from the memory banks.:D

20. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Maxwell could easily have ruined Abbey Road. It seems totally out of step with what was going on musically in 1969 and the others should have fought harder to keep it off the album.

21. sunking101

I love it and think it sits nicely towards the end of side one. Peeling off those dollar bills, slapping 'em down...

22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Four Sticks

zen likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Genesis - Silver Rainbow

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. tages

tages Senior Member

“Yellow Submarine” is a childlike masterpiece (not to mention a #1 hit single) and is the icing on the “REVOLVER” cake as far as I’m concerned. In no way can I consider a song like “Love You To” or “Dr. Robert” to be a superior piece of songwriting. To each his own, I guess.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    JDeanB, Hombre, goodiesguy and 3 others like this.
  25. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Probably my favourite track on Led Zeppelin IV these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.