The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the Unledded version. There is just something off with the studio version.

Mook likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Byrds Fifth Dimension? I really like that album. Nothing ruins it for me.

3. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I want this thread to keep going long enough for posters to list all 13 tracks from the new U2 album as the "one" song that almost destroys Songs Of Experience.

DLeet, Erik B., painted8 and 6 others like this.
  4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The Ballad of Decomposing Men - Steve Hackett

What could have been a fantastic record turns out to be a almost fantastic record because of a irritating joke song. Every other song is fantastic, he did this on the previous and next record but in both cases they were interesting and didn't be right in the middle of the record.

LivingForever likes this.
  5. Eagles- The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks from The Long Run

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Hmm, well, if Dizzy Miss Lizzy is your clunker, you're doing OK...in fact you're the bloody Beatles! :cool:

Frosst likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Sorry, I love "Student Demonstration Time" (Using a classic song's tune...brilliant).

Don't really get the hate for it...
    but then, maybe I wax...having participated in the local peaceful anti-war/Vietnam campus demonstrations, and was arrested with a few hundred others---student demonstration time. The line , "Learned not to say nasty things about southern policeman's mothers", is one of the wittiest lyrics in the pop song lexicon, ever. I got out of SF just in time to miss the Berkeley riots in 1970, but joined in back in Hawkeye country.

wowliksom, Whoopycat and Mook like this.
  8. lemonade kid

Yellow (bloody) Submarine, I know I`m going to get flack for this because Y.S. is popular among lots of Beatles fans. How many times I must have lifted the arm of my orignal Abbey Road LP and scratched the precious vinyl and on the subeequent A.R. replacements pre: CD. IMHO Y.S. absolutely ruins Abbey Road...richie richie

re:Yellow Submarine--

Hmmm, don't you mean "Revolver? -lk

Or is there an Abbey Road reissue with YS on it?? I am not always up on these things, though I have had Abbey Road since it was released on vinyl. Maxwell's Silver Hammer or Octopus' Garden maybe on Abbey Road??...though they don't totally ruin Abbey road, they are a bit of Beatles-Lite for me.

richierichie likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

I've always been partial to the US Capitol release of Revolver and consider "Dr Robert" (UK Revolver) to be the weakest track and totally inappropriate for the Revolver experience!

limoges likes this.
  10. The Strawbs' Grave New World is my favorite by the band and near perfect, BUT for the inclusion of this turd:
    Ah Me, Ah My is not just an annoying song that ruins the flow of side two, they thought it wise to raise the volume of the song relative to all the other tracks on the side so it stands out even more!

11. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I always thought “The Only Way” from Tarkus was one of the worst things ELP made. As someone who’s religious, the lyrics are a little too tasteless for me. Also, it’s boring.

yesstiles and Mook like this.
  12. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Both of these songs I actually really love, and Four Sticks might be my favorite song off of LZ IV. That and When the Levee Breaks.

Frosst likes this.
  13. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Mother on Synchronicity

The Crunge on HotH. I would have replaced it with the song Houses of The Holy and lost The Crunge in the fours sides of Physical Graffiti.

Granted these songs don't ruin these fine albums, but IMO they weaken them.

14. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

Tattoo
    A Different Kind Of Truth - Van Halen

Terrible song, the single, just a bad decision.
    Otherwise its a brilliant album.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I can only think of one album in my entire collection (of around 16,000) that has a song so irredeemably awful that it wrecks the LP as a listening experience. It's "Nasty Spider" in the middle of Miriam Backhouse's otherwise pleasant folk LP Gypsy Without A Road, and it's a parody of a children's song sung in the manner of a little girl. It's absolutely excruciating, and I can only wonder what Backhouse was thinking when she chose to include it.

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I prefer "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" over "Tell Me What You See," "You Like Me Too Much," and "It's Only Love."

17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I have many albums that don't have one bad track, all killer no filler as they say. I can tolerate a lesser track on an otherwise stellar disc but an outright stinker or something I hate definitely lowers an album in the reckoning.

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You are soulless.

HenryFly likes this.
  19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I don't.

JDeanB, Suncola and adad like this.
  20. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

"Squeeze Box" has ruined more Who compilations than I care to count. That's why Meaty, Beaty still remains the best Who comp.

Fullbug and audiomixer like this.
  21. I had a friend who considered that song his favorite on the album. I think it's an ok novelty song.

22. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

The rest of the album is so so. Where are edge’s guitars

23. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I can tolerate it just because it's out the way early

The long medley may be bits and pieces and scraps, but it's an absolute masterful display of sequencing, presentation and production giving the flow of genius musicality.

I have nightmares about "Her Majesty", a beautiful little palette cleanser, being replaced with "Maxwell's" and adding a stinking, clunking piece of detritus to ruin that album like a turd in my champagne.

Sequencing is very important on Abbey Road, and if "Maxwell" is gonna appear at all, thank god its not somewhere more crucial. At least it's buffered with two absolutely classic tracks.

24. The Ballad of The Decomposing Man is my favorite of the trio of novelty songs he released in that period. It was included obviously to lighten mood. I agree that it stands out and I get the hate for it, but it just works for me somehow.

25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You don't have to hide, but, I look at "Revolution 9" as more of a unique piece of art, rather than an actual song. Add in the fact that it is near the end of Side 4, with only Ringo's closing "Goodnight", which rightfully brought all of that "art of noise" of #9 and some of the other left of center tracks of the White Album, to a gentle conclusion.

For me, any (and I mean ANY song) by Yoko, on a John Lennon album, always kills the mood for me. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of her and if she was anybody but John Lennon's wife, she would have never been showcased as much as she was. If you like Yoko and her singing, I salute you, she is just not my thing, in any way shape or form.

limoges, Galactus2, Bill and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.