The $150 Orbit Turntable from U-Turn Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Wow, that looks really cool! Being developed in my own backyard too, have to look them up. I hope they reach their goal, if it's even close to being as good as they make it sound, I bet they will do pretty well! Nice looking too.

3. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It might be possible to make a $150 turntable that was any good if the quantity were high enough, but I think the quantity would have to be really high.

5. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

cool I wish them luck

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Looks nice for $150, I wish them luck. However the "U-turn" brand has kind of a bogus sound to it. I knew a guy that said he had a "go round" turntable with "hear good" speakers. U-Turn sorta reminds me of that.

8. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Signed up for one. Hope they can pull it off.

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm all in favor of reasonably priced record players to enable people to 'get into' vinyl, particularly youngsters who don't have the disposable income to buy fancy gear. And i guess, over a modest system, something like this might be OK. My biggest concern about budget record players is simply that people have a mediocre experience, and then say 'what's all the fuss about vinyl.' Knowing how much time (and money) it can take to get it right, I'm not sure any of the cheap new tables really deliver at the level that makes people go 'WoW!' Now i get what all the fuss is about' But, since I haven't listened to the latest crop of relatively inexpensive turntable/tone arm combos, I'm speculating here. I gather that the VPI Traveler is OK, but that's based only on anecdotal comments. FWIW, I lived with a Well-Tempered (original) table/arm for years, and it was more than a taste of what a serious record player can deliver, at relatively little money, especially used. So, bring 'em on.
    (and, not to stir the pot too much, I wonder sometimes how much vinyl is a 'fad' as opposed to a choice for quality playback.)
    Which may be a whole other subject....

10. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Maybe the kids don't need to spend $5,000 on a turntable to enjoy music. After all, such turntables didn't exist for the first three or four decades of vinyl reproduction and I don't recall a lot of tears being shed.

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Right, i'm not being elitist about it. But what's in those 50 year old grooves sometimes blows me away. And you are right about not needing to spend much to get the gist of the music. Vinyl playback can be more than that, though, far more, if done with care; it can be just phenomenal. But it takes time and effort and (unfortunately), money. And some of those old tables, like the Garrard 301 and SP-10mk II, are fetching serious numbers these days, once you add the base or plinth, a good arm, etc.
    Frankly, vinyl is a giant PITA. But, I've stuck with it from my childhood as my main medium for serious playback. And have gradually kept working on the front end. Would I advocate somebody going out and spending crazy money on a SOTA turntable and phono stage unless they were totally committed? No way.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I've been very happy with my Pro-ject Debut III and stock everything, with audioengine 5 speakers. I know that compared to most on the forum, this set up is a joke but I really enjoy what I'm hearing over any mp3s and most of the CDs I've had for years. I have a mono copy of Bob Dylan's The Times They Are A'Changin' and Boots of Spanish Leather almost brings me to tears sometimes. I briefly had a stereo copy that sounded great, but didn't have the magic of the mono. And friends who I've had over for record nights feel the same way about a lot of the records we spin. So I think that bargain tables really can deliver that "Wow!" factor if given the chance.

And knowing this, I really look forward to going through my entire, albeit small, collection with every upgrade.

CrimsonPiper likes this.
  13. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Good. My concern (and if I was coming off like a snob, it wasn't my intention), was that all the new love for vinyl in the last couple years would be a passing fancy if folks weren't able to extract real performance from a budget turntable. And, upgrade-itis or audio-nervosa is not a good state of mind either. My first table (a real one, not the folks' all in one) was an AR, back in around 1970 or so. And other than setting stylus pressure, I don't think there was much else do to (I don't even remember if it had any 'anti-skate' adjustment). It was pretty much plug and play and I didn't give it much thought.

14. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Yes, "U-Turn" as a company name is a bit worrisome. For spinning vinyl I'd hope for a full 360 degree revolution (well more than one actually).

swvcc likes this.
  15. crowyhead

crowyhead Active Member

I am tentatively excited about this. It's been hard to talk some of my friends out of the $100 turntables that I know will kill their records; if there was a turntable that only cost $150 that I could recommend wholeheartedly as a decent entry point, it would help a lot. It doesn't even have to be that good, it just has to be something that can actually be set up properly, rather than some of the Crosley players that folks I know have.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The look of the deck's design is very promising. I wish them luck. It really doesn't take all that much in parts cost to make a $150 sound better. The AR XA, properly set up with the right—that is to say lower compliance—cartridge could sound wonderful, being just adjustable enough to deal with overhang but not enough to adjust VTA without shims or anti-skating of any sort. But its lack of "Bells and Whistles" meant a lot less to break or wear out. I wish the folks at U-Turn luck in coming up with the new AR XA.

17. bk12

bk12 Active Member

This might be just the item that pushes me to give vinyl a shot...does anyone have a similarly flavored stand-alone phono preamp that they would recommend? My integrated amp does not have a phono input option...

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Oh, no. You didn't come off as a snob at all, I just wanted to chime in with my experience from the low end of the audiophile spectrum. I feel that often times people tend to think of the vinyl resurgence as being led by "hipsters" who are buying vinyl b/c it's retro and cool, and not really caring about the sound quality. That may be true to an extent, but I think a lot of people around my age are appreciating vinyl because of what it sonically offers over the CDs and mp3s we came of age listening to. That's the idea I get from observing my friends who are also getting into analogue, and the conversations I've had with others in and around record stores and parties. My age group may also be reaching a point of digital over-saturation, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

That is great, because that's exactly the stereotype I had in mind. Good for you, Mikeyt. Enjoy your system. And, if you haven't looked at it, check out die hipster . com. It is pretty funny.
    I'm an aged hipster, :)

paul cbc likes this.
  20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

21. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Looks very promising but how does one lift the tonearm from the record?

22. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

With your fingers. There is no cueing lift.

23. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The lack of a queuing lift bugs me.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

24. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Wow. No cueing lift? Thanks. I didn't notice that. I don't have a real steady hand, and it doesn't get any better as I get older. Also, sometimes I like to have a beer or two, and that makes it even worse. I may be out. The table does look cool though.

25. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

They posted the specs last night. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.