The $150 Orbit Turntable from U-Turn Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

2. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the acrylic platters. How do they perform?

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Pretty good. I have one on my Scoutmaster and it works well. There are better materials but at this price point it should be good.

4. ndtechie05

I've been debating about this table. The only thing I'm not liking is the lack of a cue lever.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I want to know what the compliance on the tonearm is... that will directly affect what kind of cartridges can be used for upgrades, and that's a real sticking point!

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This logic runs counter to what I think I've encountered:

Our pre-production Orbits have been thoroughly tested (see “Testing” above), and have met all performance goals. However, these units use a number of low-volume, prototype parts in places where the final product will use injection molded and production-quality machined parts. Consequently, we have not yet been able to carry out testing on production units, and it is impossible for us to be certain of their final build quality and performance. Since the production Orbit will use higher-quality, mass-produced parts, we expect that final build quality and performance will only improve. We require that all units pass our range of performance tests prior to shipping.

7. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

at this price point - no one cares about compliance and no one purchasing at this price point even knows what that is...

Captain Pete and Stella like this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I think quite a few folks who already have better tables are going to be picking this up out of curiosity, and will want to know if they can swap carts they already own onto it.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Based on the excitement over this table on Audio Karma, it would seem that you are absolutely correct. I'm personally not interested in "donating" so that they can start a business (I thought that's what investors are for), but I may purchase one after the reviews come in.

Kinda cool that these are apparently being produced here in the Boston area. It's nice to see this region's tradition of hifi innovation (Scott, AR, A/D/S, KLH, and yes even Bose, etc.) being continued.

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Bob at U-Turn sent me the following:

"The tonearm's effective mass will be 10~12 g, which when paired with a cartridge that has 20 um/mN compliance will give a ~10hz resonant frequency."

So there's some useful info!

11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Same here , that's what bummed me out a bit ...

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Typical for a medium belt drive. Tweaking yourself could improve things (nice that the heavier platter improved the W&F measure).

I hope they have a good maker for those belts, it's not a typical size or length (though it might match the Traveler, which might offer an upgrade path already)

A 'super quiet' power supply will likely reduce noise from the motor, too.. maybe even the Pro-Ject speed box will work.

What you stand a table like this on really affects it's sound. So you can play with that when you get one - different tables, isolation boards etc. There are very cheap options here (Ikea, Blick for honeycomb drawing boards etc.)

13. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

MikeyH Brings up more things that ran through my mind , the Belt & replacements ........ a few years down the Road will they be easy to get ?
    Reading up more on this , does it even come with a power supply ?

14. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I think it must, to be of any use, but it might be 'just good enough' like the Rega/Pro-Ject ones. There are beginning to be special super supplies around, though mostly they're just 'selected' and priced accordingly. Similar things happen with DACs and preamps, of course.

Currently the availability of belts for older and vintage turntables is very good - much better than it was ten years ago.

15. ndtechie05

Does not come with power supply.

16. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I suppose that could be the case, but I think those who are deep into the hobby would look elsewhere for a cheap 2nd or 3rd system table... Do people really buy cheap gear out of curiosity?

17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Some do. Depends on how many rooms they have, how many kids. I know one guy who has a whole spare system in his office, analog and digital.

Many also simply won't buy used. I know this as a seller. Takes all sorts..

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The lack of a cueing device is less of a problem than some would think, unless you have physical limitations. My AR/XA has no cueing device either, but it didn't take too long for me to develop the technique for accurately and safely setting down the arm anywhere on the record. Basically you just have to anchor the edge of your hand on the top of the plinth and move the arm by extending your fingers and bending your wrist.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be a lot of pissed people on Delivery day , I bet a lot are gonna expect to "plug & play"

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow, these guy raise $150,000 in a month? I need to kickstart myself an idea.

Rickchick and bilgewater like this.
  21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Your not kidding , maybe we can start an 8-track "Revival" :D

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am physically challenged, and have used manual turntables for over 35 years without cueing. My first real turntable was an AR XA, which I still have modded.

23. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

I'm confused. According to the kickstarter site:

Overview:

Unipivot tonearm
    Ortofon MM cartridge
    Fully manual belt-drive
    Two speed pulley (33/45 RPM)
    Inverted main bearing
    24V synchronous motor
    Machined MDF plinth
    Vibration damping feet
    Easy setup
    16.5" x 12.5" x 4"
    15 lbs
    Power supply: 120V/60Hz
    Wall transformer included
    Dustcover included

24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Maybe it does come with a cheap Power suplly which makes sense ..... somewhere on the page there was a blurb that made it sound like no power supply was Included .

25. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

It's an AC synchronous motor. Doesn't need a power supply. You basically just plug the motor straight into the wall. They may use a transformer to step down the voltage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.