The 2017 Academy Awards thread (2016 films)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I've seen all the best picture noms, except "La La Land" (yea, I know - but I'm waiting to see that at the Cinerama this weekend), "Hacksaw Ridge" (which I'm now regretting) and "Lion" (which I'm seeing this week).

Even without seeing it, "La La Land" seems like one of those movies that Oscar voters wet their pants over. Basically if you make a movie that "harkens back to the golden age of cinema," that's exactly the kind of movie older/conservative Academy voters go for. See also, "The Artist."

I saw "Silence," and while I liked it, I can see why it got skipped. The individual performances were stellar (and I'm really glad Andrew Garfield is being recognized for something this year, albeit another film), but it's probably way too morally ambiguous for most viewers. Whereas "The Revenant" was a pretty clear-cut man-against-man/man-against-nature story, I'm guessing a lot of people left "Silence" thinking to themselves, "What exactly was the point of all that?"

Dreadnought and PH416156 like this.
  2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I saw both 'Manchester By The Sea" (excellent) and "Fences" (very good)
    I think Annette Bening should have been up for an Oscar nomination for her performance in the recently released "2oth Century Women", but it was probably released too late for consideration and it's not exactly a 'mainstream' type film.
    Speaking of which, I just cannot get any enthusiasm towards seeing "La La Land". I just don't like the premise of the film overall and it looks contrived and over-hyped. Years ago I got duped into seeing "The Artist" because of all the critical praise it received and in the end I could have done without it. (Besides, my favourite musicals are "West Side Story" and "Fiddler On The Roof" and on a musical level there is no way this film can possibly compete with those two)
    I know that many like this film and that's cool, but I'm hearing a great many people say that the hype is now too huge surrounding it and it's putting them off (ie. it's not as great as many are saying...)
    Anyway, I can live without seeing it.

I hope Casey Affleck wins for Best Actor. He deserves it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

If it makes any difference, I was not all that crazy about The Artist but loved La La Land. And I went into both with very high expectations. No guarantees our experiences would be the same, of course. :)

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

(Participating) Regal Cinemas are offering a pretty amazing deal - you get to see all 9 best picture nominees for $35 within the 10 day period directly before the Oscars. (You see them as your schedule and the theater schedule allows, not in a marathon.) I have already seen 6 of the 9 or I would jump all over this.

Best Picture Film Festival | Movie Tickets and Showtimes »

IronWaffle and budwhite like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'll go to my grave with the belief that "The Artist" was a movie that got attention/praise largely because of its gimmick. I don't think it was an especially well-made movie but it rode the wave of its gimmickry...

6. Oatsdad

That is a good deal - but like you, not useful for me because I've already seen 5 of the 9.

Also not playing at any local Regals for me!

7. Monosterio

And I'll go to my grave telling people that what hurt that movie was not its "gimmick," but rather that long, drawn-out section with the depressed hero drinking, attempting suicide, etc. The movie never fully recovers from that.

(And when I say "hurt the movie," obviously I'm not speaking for everybody as the damn thing won every award in sight -- probably, as you say, because of its "gimmick.")

8. RayS

I drove 40 miles to see "The Artist" when it opened because I am a long-time silent film fan and I feared it would play one week and disappear. A few weeks later it was EVERYWHERE. They had me "at hello" by capturing the look and feel of the late silent period MGM films so well. And a couple years later I remember THAT. Until the post above, I barely remembered the plot (and I am a "plot person" in the same way that I am a "lyrics person"). I doubt I am representative of the average movie-going public on this one though.

driverdrummer likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

I don't claim the gimmick helps or hurts the movie - I claim it got all the attention/praise because of the gimmick.

As I said, I think "The Artist" has flaws - and pacing is one of the biggies. The movie has long stretches in which little happens - it's a 60-minute story spread across 100 minutes...

10. Oatsdad

"Artist" is certainly a good-looking movie and one that acts as a nice reproduction of its period.

But I just don't think it brings anything new to the table. It's a 21st-century silent movie with a plot cribbed together from classics like "Singin' in the Rain" and "Citizen Kane" and "A Star Is Born"...

11. Monosterio

That's exactly right. My point is that if I didn't have the aforementioned problems with it, I would have been the first to cheer its gimmick and call it the best film of 2011.

12. RayS

So out of the 5, what gets "Best Picture" for you?

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Heck, even paying the full $35 to see the 3 (or 4, in Oatsdad's case) you haven't seen is a pretty good bargain. That still works out to less than the regular price of a ticket.

RayS likes this.
  14. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I saw 20th Century Woman (Annette Bening) last night and I must say her absence from the Best Actress category is a glaring omission.

john hp and Monosterio like this.
  15. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think it must be the first time I haven't seen any of the foreign language nominees, which is the category that interests me the most. Toni Erdmann came out on top of the Sight And Sound poll last year, therefore the one I want to see the most, but hopefully I'll be able to check out at least a couple before awards day, depending on availability.

I too am shocked Silence isn't up for any of the top awards; I thought Andrew Garfield's performance was outstanding, and I don't get Amy Adams' omission; baffling.

I'd expect La La Land to get best picture, Casey Affleck has to get best actor (although personal issues may go against him), and I would love to see Kenneth Lonergan get best director, but again, I expect a La La Land win. Jeff Bridges for best supporting actor, and although I loved Manchester By The Sea, I feel Michelle Williams' performance is too slight for the win. Come to think of it, Lucas Hedges is also a good shout for best supporting actor, but I can't see it happening.

16. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Thanks for the heads up, Ray. :thumbsup:

We started yesterday. We'll see several of the nominees for a second time and six others for the first. I'd seen Fences on stage some years ago and felt that Washington really brought the intensity of the play to the screen. How Viola Davis didn't receive a best actress nomination for this is beyond me since hers was hardly a supporting role.

We're also going to get to both forms of short film nominees, too. I don't think I've ever seen all the best picture nominees in the past.

RayS likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Whoops - I didn't see this post when it happened! Sorry!

I'm up to 7 now - still need to see "Lion" and "Fences".

My pick? Probably "Manchester". For genre reasons, I'd love to see "Arrival" win - sci-fi doesn't win many non-technical awards - but I think that's unlikely to happen.

Right now, I'd probably rate the 7 I've seen like this:

1) Manchester
    2) Moonlight
    3) Arrival
    4) Hell or High Water
    5) Hacksaw
    6) Hidden Figures
    7) La La Land

RayS likes this.
  18. RayS

I usually try to see the live action short films - always a worthwhile trip to the movies. Of course my local googleplex doesn't have them so I have to drive a bit.

halfjapanese likes this.
  19. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

well I've seen all the best picture nominees and thought they were all pretty good films but I wish they would have included Silence ( to me that was the best picture) I'd rank them as enjoyable to me :
    1) Hell Or High Water - I like Jeff Bridges and the other actors a lot in this heist film. ... also like the post ending and they way the film was "resolved".
    2) Manchester By The Sea - good acting although a weepy story.
    3) Fences- a stagey but well acted and frequently crisp dialog although Denzel babbles a lot.
    4) Moonlight- also very good acting and a great script .
    5) Hacksaw Ridge- great battle scenes you feel that you are right in the middle Okinawa although the proceeding USA story before they get their is nothing too special.
    6) Hidden Figures- a snappy comedy /drama that actually says a lot and looking very good for period piece great sets and costumes circa 1962.
    7) Arrival- good although I think I've seen this movie somewhere before...maybe Son of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind ?
    8) La La Land- looked great and sounded just o.k and although I've seen better musicals none have looked better except maybe Singing In The Rain and Umbrellas Of Cherbourg .
    9). Lion- terrific early scenes about the little kid story drags when the kid grows up and leaves the country...somewhat redeems its interest in the end.

RayS likes this.
  20. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

This was an 85-mile one way drive for me. It was a bonus to learn that another theater had the shorts.

21. RayS

Gee, I should drive my 45 miles and shut up. :)

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Who should win:
    Picture: Fences
    Director: since Denzel isn't nominated-Damien Chazelle
    Actor: Denzel Washington
    Actress: Ruth Negga (a very understated, heartfelt performance)
    Supporting Actress: Viola Davis (she should be in the Best Actress category)
    Supporting Actor: Dev Patel (not enough people have seen Lion, and it should be seen)

Who will win:
    Picture: La La Land
    Director: Damien Chazelle
    Actor: Denzel Washington
    Actress: Emma Stone
    Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
    Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali

In the some of the other categories, my predictions:
    Cinematography: La La Land (this is a lock)
    Score: La La Land (why wasn't Arrival nominated? It had a great score.)
    Documentary: O.J.:Made In America
    Adapted Screenplay: Fences (not sure how this could lose)
    Original Screenplay: La La Land (but The Lobster gets points for outrageous originality)
    Editing: Hacksaw Ridge (although you could also go La La Land, but those battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge-I felt like I was there)
    Production Design: La La Land
    And whatever technical categories Rogue One is nominated for, just give it to them.
    Should be a fun night. First time I've seen every Best Picture nominee.

23. Monosterio

Is Denzel favored to win best actor? I thought it was Casey Affleck.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think the tide has shifted somewhat, especially given the, um, discussions that took place after last year's awards.

PH416156 and Daniel Plainview like this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think the voting was over before the denzel talk even started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.