The 33 most streamed 60s albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJD, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJD

MJD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have you ever play poker? A key rule is never be result oriented. What matters is to take the good decision. Here it's the same. We can't check results and jump on conclusions. Saying the movie made the song big is fundamentally wrong. It's like saying you played a hand well when you were way behind when going all in and got lucky on the river. Songs are successful when they are popular and that popularity is exposed to the public. The way it is exposed doesn't matter. You won't find a single song on Spotify with relevant streams that hasn't been promoted. The point is about how these songs respond to exposure, that's what defines the popularity of a track. It's only natural to expose to the largest public songs with the largest public. That's why it is so wrong to say that movie x or y made song z big, what happens is that the movie selected the song because it's popular then that popularity is naturally efficient when exposed. It's all the more obvious with hits-studded soundtracks like GotG. Its songs got there because they were already popular in first place.

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Wrong. They don't become popular because they're popular. They become exposed to a new generation of fans and become popular again.

mr.datsun and Black Magic Woman like this.
  3. MJD

Except that facts prove you wrong. You can overlook as much as you want that I Want You Back was already among the very most streamed 60s songs before the movie to create the fanciful story that it got "popular again" thanks to it, the fact is what it is.

4. Thievius

Please. You're doing nothing but taking data and jumping to conclusions in order to shape a narrative. I'm not using data, its true. I'm using common sense.

5. Thievius

You keep saying this, but I've seen no facts to back up that bold assertion.

6. MJD

Jumping to conclusions? I can prove it with thousands of uncontestable facts. Your "common sense" is simply wrong. I prefer using the reality than my personal wishes.

7. MJD

So now just because you don't know something it's not true? Great. Way to go. That bold behavior is very fine. Others know the facts, that's the difference.

BTW, ABC has over 155 million streams, I suppose it's thanks to GotG3, right? Oh no, you don't know that fact either. My bad.

8. Thievius

Yes, you're jumping to conclusions. Streaming a song does not = "album of origin is popular".

mr. suit, notesfrom and mr.datsun like this.
  9. Thievius

Your website is the antithesis of "facts."

10. MJD

You are the one here making up claims and putting them into quotes. I'm digging into the music industry for decades, you obviously never checked a thing about it, but I'm the one jumping to conclusions, that's nice.

11. MJD

The antithesis of "facts" is acting as if you haven't see them when calling them lies 2 minutes earlier while they are right in front of your eyes. Pathetic childish behavior. Unsurprising considering the demonstrated ignorance though.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Just look at wiki's entry on reception and legacy. The entire spiel doesn't even reference Guardians of the Galaxy. Sold 6 million, biggest this and greatest that, sampled by all sorts of artists.

(I didn't even know what Guardians of the Galaxy was. Had to look it up. But I know I Want You Back.)

MJD likes this.
  13. Thievius

Sorry, that doesn't fly. Provide a specific source for this specific data, then we can talk. The website you keep citing as factual IS YOU.

14. Thievius

I don't doubt any of that. But that doesn't speak to the reason why its popularity spiked again in 2014.

mr.datsun likes this.
  15. MJD

Oh right, I just went created a 4-years old thread to back up my point! You are a genius. Yes, I posted these statistics back then since unlike you I'm not scratching the surface and making wild claims on the back of nothing. Are you even aware that all Spotify numbers are directly visible on their website? Obviously no elseway you would understand how ridiculous it is to call them lies.

BTW, you haven't answer about ABC, has the song over 155 million streams thanks to GotG3?

16. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Do any currently hip artists (Rex Orange County, Mac DeMarco) namedrop Dylan to the same degree that indie bands in the 90's and 00's did?

17. MJD

In all fairness while Dylan doesn't make the list his streams are definitely great. Stone has over 120 million streams, Knockin' has 90m, Times is just behind, etc.

He was just so prolific that most of his 60s albums have only 1, at most 2 songs with big enough streams to make a difference. His hits are spread over too many releases.

ian christopher likes this.
  18. Thievius

I don't even know what you're referencing since GotG3 doesn't exist as a completed film. :crazy:

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not a chance. "I Want You Back" belongs more to any of the zillion compilations that include it than to the original album, which is mostly forgotten.

I do not have to even know the original album exists, and I can use a streaming service that doesn't even offer the original album and I can still easily listen to I Want You Back.

It does not belong uniquely to the original album. Unlike a basketball player who DOES belong uniquely to one team.

nikh33, DirkM and Thievius like this.
  20. MJD

Huh again? I completely fail to see the meaning of your comment. That I Want You Back was available on compilations is just so, so irrelevant. It's not like streams have been multiple by the number of packages which contained the song, these are its true, unique statistics. A song is a recording, that recording is popular, and that recording was made as part of an album. If tomorrow a Now compilation uses Billie Jean that wouldn't reduce the success of Thriller and wouldn't change the fact that it's a song of Thriller.

21. MJD

That's the point. I Want You Back has always been bigger than ABC, ABC has 155 million streams and was used by no major film recently, so how can you claim that I Want You Back streams are high just because of GotG1?

Zeki likes this.
  22. Thievius

THANK YOU.

He's taking raw data and extrapolating and assigning a "why" or "how" to the proceedings where none can accurately be placed.

OP, I'm done arguing with you. You're talking in circles.

DirkM likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you want to assert that the Jackson 5 album contains songs that have, total, among the most streams of any album of the '60s, fine. That is far from saying that the album is one of the most streamed albums of the '60s. That's an entirely different assertion and is not true unless you can associate all those plays to plays of that particular album. Which you cannot.

In fact, if you are trying to assert "most streamed album of the '60s" a better metric would be the album with the largest number of listens to its least streamed track. (Or maybe average the 3 least streamed tracks, to avoid the Her Majesty effect). That's still not perfect, but it's far better than what you're asserting.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Somehow this stats thread has become derailed. I thought this was just based on the data of Spotify streams. Not an analysis of when it became popular and spikes.

I use Apple Music myself, so of course I know these stats aren't all-inclusive. But they are interesting. At least I think they are. I don't see what there is to argue about. Somebody took the time to examine and compile Spotify's data. I don't see why it's a big deal if a movie (or whatever it is) gave a popular song a sales or popularity spike. That's nice.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This list has little to do with the popularity of the albums but the one or two tracks that were 'hits' that became 'standards'. The major curio is the Marvin Gaye / Tammi Terrell, Ain't No Mountain High Enough at no 1 when Diana Ross had the chart topping version. Streaming is about tracks not albums. It's why physical media will continue at a certain level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.